Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New games for old consoles

• 19-06-2018 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭

What's your take on it. I've seen a few on Kickstarter for the Sega MD recently.

Plus Dinorex had a new "old' game recently, it was ok but it was no Barbarian if you know what I mean

My take on it that it's a load of pony.
    I've hardened up on the issue. Retro games should be limited to games of that time.

The classics have all been made already imo, rediscover or play an old game for the first time, but surely the fact that the games were often the top of the line at some stage is a necessary part of the appeal.

At a stretch I'd take new levels for old games.

I assume everyone is in agreement with me as usual?

Apart from DR. He'll comment when he's finished looking at Kickstarter.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Most of these games are hobbyists that are more interested in learning and coding on these old machines rather than actually making a business out of them. Some of the games are also based on new hardware tricks that were not found at the time on the system.

With new computers you have some much computational power and memory that you have no limits. On older hardware you have very strict limits on what you can do and usually you find an awful lot of creativity working within these limitations.

I really don't see the harm in hobbyists making new games for older consoles. Some of them are surprisingly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only ones I ever bought were Pier Solar and Sturmwind.

Never played through Pier Solar fully so can't really comment on its quality, Sturmwind looked amazing but was pants!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You waited ages for Sturmwind as well!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pier Solar is kind of garbage unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I made the mistake of buying Unholy Night on the Super Famicom before I read the reviews. I won't be making the same mistake again, it's terrible.

• Advertisement

I think anything that breathes new life into old tech can only be a good thing.

Some games will be crap and some will be good, just like things were in the consoles heyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Some games will be crap and some will be good, just like things were in the consoles heyday.

At least they were crap on the latest HW though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I think anything that breathes new life into old tech can only be a good thing.

I would agree with this, for example some people had a C64 when they were younger and probably dreamed of making a game for it.
    It all also depends on the price of the game too IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not a console, so maybe not really the same thing, idk, but some of the games being made for the ZX Spectrum now are amazing, and I'm delighted they're still plugging away. The programmers usually give their efforts away for free too, or at the most they charge 3 or 4 quid. It's terrific, and at least half my time playing now is the homebrew stuff. Dozens of new games coming out every year, happy days.

It's more valid, to me anyway, than people who create the 8 bit 16 bit aesthetic games on modern super powerful machines. (I admit there have undeniably been some great games in amongst this phenomenon)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

To bring the thread back into its context, there is still a trickle of new games coming out for the Sega Dreamcast. Mostly shmups. A small French outfit is still burning the GDROMS.

But then, the sole reason for my own personal liking for the Dreamcast was that it was the original base machine for Shenmue I and II, and the Dreamcast commercial market was well on the way out by the time Shenmue II was out.

Maybe just maybe some mad punk might consider doing Shenmue III for the Dreamcast, but then with the CPU a 166Mhz thingie...........hmmmmmmmm, the other constraint is that GDROM ofcourse.

Also, the GDROM drive itself is prone to wearing out the the Dreamcast console too.

EDIT: Look up ADAM KORALIK's channel on YouTube >> mustsee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Stoner wrote: »
    I assume everyone is in agreement with me as usual?

:pac:

No.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Most of these games are hobbyists that are more interested in learning and coding on these old machines rather than actually making a business out of them. Some of the games are also based on new hardware tricks that were not found at the time on the system.

With new computers you have some much computational power and memory that you have no limits. On older hardware you have very strict limits on what you can do and usually you find an awful lot of creativity working within these limitations.

I really don't see the harm in hobbyists making new games for older consoles.

Well said. I'd also extend the argument beyond games, newer hardware hacks are also a good thing - region/60Hz mods and that new UniBios chip are two that string to mind. Or anything made by FrancoB if you own a candy. :)
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Some of them are surprisingly good.

Like these two beauties.

9rE6RSx.jpg

Advertisement