Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Muscle Knots & Magnesium

• 20-06-2018 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone here suffers with muscle knots(like ITB knots)

If so has anyone had any joy rubbing magnesium oil into the area?

I have my stretches and foam rollers, but got lazy and the foam roller is killing me:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have never heard of muscle "knots" in the ITB. The illiotibial band is a tough band of fascia with the same tensile strength as steel so even if it feels knotty it's unlikely you can affect it with magnesium oil or a roller. You could use the roller further up the chain at the TFL muscle and other hip stabilisers which, when they are tight or dysfunctional, can affect the gliding of the ITB. Magnesium can help with cramping issues caused by dehydration etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

pconn062 wrote: »
    I have never heard of muscle "knots" in the ITB. The illiotibial band is a tough band of fascia with the same tensile strength as steel so even if it feels knotty it's unlikely you can affect it with magnesium oil or a roller. You could use the roller further up the chain at the TFL muscle and other hip stabilisers which, when they are tight or dysfunctional, can affect the gliding of the ITB. Magnesium can help with cramping issues caused by dehydration etc.

By knot I mean trigger point, around ITB around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Would you try tiger balm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

on rubbing in magnesium oil
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579607/
    Therefore, cellular magnesium uptake is only being carried out by specific magnesium transporters and not by diffusion. However, since dead cells of the upper skin layer do not contain functional magnesium transporters, which have not yet been identified in detail, magnesium absorption may be possible only at the small area of sweat glands and hair follicles. A recently published study showed that magnesium ions can penetrate the stratum corneum in a concentration and time dependent manner which is significantly facilitated by hair follicles. However, hair follicles and sweat glands constitute only 0.1% to 1% of the skin surface. Even if a substance is absorbed in this area, the question of the clinical relevance of absorbed amounts needs to be addressed.

and that's without getting into the question of whether magnesium supplementation in itself is effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    pconn062 wrote: »

By knot I mean trigger point, around ITB around

This can be a common misunderstanding

Trigger points wont occur in the ITB most of the time what you are feeling are fat deposits withing the quad muscles you wont actually get TrPs in the IT band.

As pconn mentioned IT band issues usually occur from other areas on the kinetic chain as properties of IT band are very different to that of a muscle due to the lack of contractability

• Advertisement
Advertisement