Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for locations

Options
  • 20-06-2018 7:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

We are currently looking for a new home and we cannot agree on location. We currently live in Saggart. My Mrs has developed a serious gra for the Rathfarnham area but i cannot marry the price we would have to pay with what we would get for our money size wise. I'd love a more country location like a detached property with a big garden on the outskirts of Saggart/Rathcoole/Newcastle but she wouldn't be happy in areas like that as she feels it would be too isolated.

Essentially what we are looking for is a good sized property - 1600 sq ft minimum with 4 bedrooms, a decent garden and either semi or fully detached - in an area with good schools and good amenitie.

Budget is €500 To €600k.

We've looked at a number of houses in Knocklyon but thus far we've not seen anything that ticks enough boxes.

Currently I'm working near Blanch and she is in Sandyford.

All suggestions welcomed.

Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Johouse

I’m not familiar with these areas but what would Rathfarnham mean commute wise? Do you both work full time and drive or bus currently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Johouse wrote: »
    I’m not familiar with these areas but what would Rathfarnham mean commute wise? Do you both work full time and drive or bus currently?

Both work full time, both driving to work currently. It would be further to work for me but closer for her. Tbh an extra 15 or 20 minutes drive wouldn't bother me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I'd think carefully about why you want a detached property with a big garden if you're both working. Given the house size, I'm assuming kids too.

You're going to be gone daylight hours most of the year, especially if you're adding 20mins each way to your commute. That leaves weekends to enjoy and maintain the garden and with Irish weather, when you've kids and are working full time, that's an afternoon of enjoyment 12 weekends a year if you're lucky. The maths changes if one of you goes part time or the kids are minded in their own home.

Basically I'm saying think fully through the practicalities and the realities of your respective fantasies.

On the area suggestion, we had a similar combination of work locales a few years ago and the two options we looked at were just outside the M50 around junction 13 and the area around junction 6. We settled on Ashtown but for your needs the "old Sandyford" area might work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭daithiK1

Maybe have a look in Ballyroan or Templeogue rather than knocklyon, excellent schools, less traffic, closer to the parks and shops, etc. there are a few 4 bed semi d’s in that price range c1500 sq foot with reasonable gardens, suggest considering 50k budget to bring up to modern standard too. IMO the location wins hands down compared even to a c 2000 foot in the newer Knocklyon estates either side of m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,074 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

daithiK1 wrote: »
    Maybe have a look in Ballyroan or Templeogue rather than knocklyon, excellent schools, less traffic, closer to the parks and shops, etc. there are a few 4 bed semi d’s in that price range c1500 sq foot with reasonable gardens, suggest considering 50k budget to bring up to modern standard too. IMO the location wins hands down compared even to a c 2000 foot in the newer Knocklyon estates either side of m50.

what exactly do you think 50k will get you in terms of modernisation?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Cyrus wrote: »

€50k could get you windows, external insulation, maybe new boiler and controls and a freshen up. All subject to the grants available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

kceire wrote: »
    €50k could get you windows, external insulation, maybe new boiler and controls and a freshen up. All subject to the grants available.

Ah and then some. I recently got a quote for all new windows and doors (12k), external insulation (9.5k), new gas boiler (4k) and a couple of new rads and heating controls (3k). You'd have change out of 50 I'd reckon. Nearly change out of 40

Ah and then some. I recently got a quote for all new windows and doors (12k), external insulation (9.5k), new gas boiler (4k) and a couple of new rads and heating controls (3k). You'd have change out of 50 I'd reckon. Nearly change out of 40

Possibly. I didn't want to overshoot the mark though.

kceire wrote: »

i suppose it depends on what kind of stuff, it would be UPVC windows at that kind of money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

Hi.

We are currently looking for a new home and we cannot agree on location. We currently live in Saggart. My Mrs has developed a serious gra for the Rathfarnham area but i cannot marry the price we would have to pay with what we would get for our money size wise. I'd love a more country location like a detached property with a big garden on the outskirts of Saggart/Rathcoole/Newcastle but she wouldn't be happy in areas like that as she feels it would be too isolated.

Essentially what we are looking for is a good sized property - 1600 sq ft minimum with 4 bedrooms, a decent garden and either semi or fully detached - in an area with good schools and good amenitie.

Budget is €500 To €600k.

We've looked at a number of houses in Knocklyon but thus far we've not seen anything that ticks enough boxes.

Currently I'm working near Blanch and she is in Sandyford.

All suggestions welcomed.

Tia.

Check out Bohernabreena / Glenasmole I know of a house up there for sale that is going for 450K you are 5 mins drive from The Mill and its over looking the lakes the house needs work and the garden would need work also as its all different levels but if you want a country location but still be near a suburn area that would be ideal.

• Advertisement

i suppose it depends on what kind of stuff, it would be UPVC windows at that kind of money?

Depends.
    Could be Alu Clad depending on the amount and size of windows. Some argue that Alu Clad are not suited for the irish climate but ill leave that argument for another thread.

Even if you spent 20k on windows, they are an allowable expense for the HRI, and there are now SEAI grants available also.

That 50k in cash could be like having 70k in reality allowing for the grants.

Internal wall insulation
    New heating system
    Flooring
    Kitchen (not structural)
    Maybe bathroom freshen up

daithiK1 wrote: »
    Internal wall insulation
    New heating system
    Flooring
    Kitchen (not structural)
    Maybe bathroom freshen up

again i suppose it comes down to what you go with material wise etc but having floored and painted a new build in the last 12 months what it cost surprised me (and i was happy with the prices having check extensively).

Thanks for the input.

We dont want to take on a "project"

Main reason being, we have a one year old and Mrs is due #2 in August so a place needing significant refurb along with two babies is not really feasible.

Also, if we are going to be spending half a million + on a house we want it to be the finished article.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Thanks for the input.

Main reason being, we have a one year old and Mrs is due #2 in August so a place needing significant refurb along with two babies is not really feasible.

Also, if we are going to be spending half a million + on a house we want it to be the finished article.

I know you don’t want a project and most people don’t either however this is where you can make a real saving. Think about it this way. Would you prefer if someone else designed it to their tastes and your paying a premium for it or you knock off 50k and lets mrs do the design so it feels entirely like your home. On top of it. If it’s a tight budget, you can always prioritize rooms and do them as you go along

Fol20 wrote: »
    I know you don’t want a project and most people don’t either however this is where you can make a real saving. Think about it this way. Would you prefer if someone else designed it to their tastes and your paying a premium for it or you knock off 50k and lets mrs do the design so it feels entirely like your home. On top of it. If it’s a tight budget, you can always prioritize rooms and do them as you go along

The savings arent that significant though vs what you would need to put into a house, at least with houses Ive been able to locate.

For example, we went to see a place in Rathfarnham a week or two ago. Decent sized, asking was €520. We had a friend in the construction trade look at it for us with a view to giving us an idea of what it would cost to get it where we would want it to be. He said we'd be talking easily €50 to €60k and that wasnt even doing anything too drastic. The place would have to be rewired and a new heating system installed from the outset.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fol20 wrote: »
    His mrs is hardly going to want to be thinking about doing up their house when she has a toddler and a newborn to look after.

You can make savings because it's stressful and a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

awec wrote: »
    His mrs is hardly going to want to be thinking about doing up their house when she has a toddler and a newborn to look after.

You can make savings because it's stressful and a lot of work.

Personally when i get places, i prefer to get doer uppers however im used to renovating property and how to do it.

Thanks for the input.

Yea no worries, I can understand not wanting to take on a project with two babies & half a mill plus in. However I had assumed from your opening post with the budget and the criteria especially the half decent garden and if you were looking in that general part of d 14 / 16 , certainly the parts close to the amenities and the good schools that your only option would be a 60's ****e box that would need work. Probably best to talk the misus into a new gra.
    I would however throw in I was looking at a very similar scenario to yourself a few years ago and I took the project on and havent looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would pick somewhere with access to a large shared green space over a house with a large garden.

Unless you get half an acre or so, kids will rapidly outgrow it, and shared spaces are better for social development (and fun!).

Ideally find a place that's at the end of a cul-de-sac so you don't have to worry about them getting run over.

• Advertisement
Advertisement