Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 in 5 homeless are non EU.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Obviously for who? You?

For anyone? Not everyones glued to the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Billy86 wrote: »
    Much if those countries are more or less uninhabitable though unless you go to huge lengths to make sure people don't just drop dead from the weather and elements. I've heard similar arguments made about Canada but for the same and opposite reasons, it's not possible without essentially building new cities from scratch for that sole purpose.

Much of Ireland is more or less uninhabitable though unless you go to huge lengths to make massive mortgage payments, planning applications and sheer expense of connecting water, electric, sewage, telephony and so forth.

You could drop dead from the elements whilst trying to build on some waterlogged bogland out west, during our rainy season. A calm -15oC in Ontario Canada is lots nicer than a windy dark humid -5oC. Or out west, BC state is huge and has the same climate NW Europe.

Much easier to to pop up a Yurt in Kazakhstan as the Nomads there have been doing since the dawn of time. Algeria can't be all that bad if 5 star cruise liners choose to stop there and let paying tourists enjoy the lifestyle, beaches, shopping and lovely weather.

it's not possible without essentially building new cities from scratch, for that sole purpose of accomodating new mass migrants (in much more population dense) Ireland. This is unlikley to happen seeing as they can't even house their own, as locals scramble to rent a decent city flat, costing them much of their net salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Just wondering where your bin men, cleaners, cappuccino makers, hospital minimum wage, crappie jobbers are allowed to live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Chinasea wrote: »
    Just wondering where your bin men, cleaners, cappuccino makers, hospital minimum wage, crappie jobbers are allowed to live?

Doesn’t one ethnic group from outside the country have the highest unemployment rate per head in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

The lack of humanity displayed in this place never ceases to sadden me.

Doesn’t one ethnic group from outside the country have the highest unemployment rate per head in Ireland?

Oh and your pizza maker, pizza deliverer, deliveroo complete fleet, chicken ball maker, slaughter house worker, Spar, toxic fumes all day Asian nail and toes varnish painter, well any minimum job.

So any clue as to where they might be allowed to live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Graces7 wrote: »
    You soon forget the way the US, Canada and Australia accommodated how many Irish who fled the homeland after the Famine.

And what support network when folk are fleeing war etc

See

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2018/0619/971627-people-worldwide-displaced/

The Irish went to these countries for work and didn't cost them thousands of euro unlike the people we are talking about here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The Irish went to these countries for work and didn't cost them thousands of euro unlike the people we are talking about here.

are you sure about that?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This is just black and white thinking, you're comparing immigration from two very different periods of time. You listed 3 colonial nations who were inviting Europeans over to help colonise the land and have since enacted very strict immigration policies. They also very large countries with plenty of land to divide be the population. Those 3 countries have the largest homes in the world because of the low population density. Ireland is a small country with only one proper city, so a population growth hugely effects the price of land.

There was also no dole, free healthcare or social housing in those countries during the Irish famine years. If you didn't work in 1850s America, you stole or starved.

How did mass immigration work out for the indigenous peoples of Australia, Canada and USA? Not very well and it isn't working out for us because it causing the housing/renting crisis and in future, it will lead to wage stagnation/deprecation just like in the UK, when we have low wage migrant workers and machines competing with the indigenous working class for low skilled jobs.

Any excuse for lack of reality about people in dire need. Any false arguments eg the last one as only immigrants will do the menial work

Any excuse.

• Advertisement

The lack of humanity displayed in this place never ceases to sadden me.

Lack also of any sense of reality and yes of any true civilisation. Attitudes are back to the "old Ireland" . Not good... Not good at all.

Much of Ireland is more or less uninhabitable though unless you go to huge lengths to make massive mortgage payments, planning applications and sheer expense of connecting water, electric, sewage, telephony and so forth.

You could drop dead from the elements whilst trying to build on some waterlogged bogland out west, during our rainy season. A calm -15oC in Ontario Canada is lots nicer than a windy dark humid -5oC. Or out west, BC state is huge and has the same climate NW Europe.

Much easier to to pop up a Yurt in Kazakhstan as the Nomads there have been doing since the dawn of time. Algeria can't be all that bad if 5 star cruise liners choose to stop there and let paying tourists enjoy the lifestyle, beaches, shopping and lovely weather.

it's not possible without essentially building new cities from scratch, for that sole purpose of accomodating new mass migrants (in much more population dense) Ireland. This is unlikley to happen seeing as they can't even house their own, as locals scramble to rent a decent city flat, costing them much of their net salary.

That is so funny and what is even funnier - or sadder - is that you apparently believe it? nee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

We’re still doing this? And still without a shred of evidence that 1 in 5 homeless people and from outside the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We’re still doing this? And still without a shred of evidence that 1 in 5 homeless people and from outside the EU?
    There is plenty of data around
    40% of Galway’s rough sleepers are from abroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

zell12 wrote: »

Nothing mentionining non-EU nationals there at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

That is so funny and what is even funnier - or sadder - is that you apparently believe it? nee

Slight exagaeration was added, as was replying to poster (billy86) stating this exagerated claim about lower density huge countries such as Canada.

Another poster claimed there is no room in these countries. Kazakhstan (x11 lower pop density than Ireland) & Saudi Arabia (x4.5 lower).

The former are both huge oil-rich nations, with way plenty of room for more people. Algeria has (x3.7) lower density too and covers a huge 2,381,741 km2.

Billy86:
    Much if those countries are more or less uninhabitable though unless you go to huge lengths to make sure people don't just drop dead from the weather and elements. I've heard similar arguments made about Canada but for the same and opposite reasons, it's not possible without essentially building new cities from scratch for that sole purpose.

Canadians build houses faster, cheaper, warmer and better than most countries with relatively little risk of 'dropping' or workplace accidents during the process.

The Saudi's (GDP Per Capita‎: ‎54,100$) are splashing '$500bn' on a new futurist city (Neom), that the likes of Europe can only dream about.

Astana in Kazakhstan is one of the most modern (if strange) cities on earth, full of flashy palaces, shopping malls. The even imported sand from the Maldives for their artifical beach. Wolves actually outnumber people there it's so vast, and largely flat land, about the size of the whole of Western Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Lack also of any sense of reality and yes of any true civilisation. Attitudes are back to the "old Ireland" . Not good... Not good at all.

My attitude would be looking to a near to medium future where Ireland is run for the Irish by the Irish. Where immigration is limited to our capacity to absorb without major disruption. Where we get the right sort of immigrants who won't cause trouble. Where we get immigrants who will not form ghettos and refuse to take accept how we live. Where immigrants who get a new start in life appreciate the chance they have been given and excel.

The future can be bright too! Chin up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

zell12 wrote: »

Abroad doesn't mean "Non-EU"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

redcup342 wrote: »
    Abroad doesn't mean "Non-EU"

True, but even 40% of non national is scary figure for town like Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

How can the government ever solve this problem with figures like that?

Figures like what?

80% of homeless people are EU citizens.

i.e. the vast majority of homeless people are EU citizens

I don't see what the problem is tbh.

So having 100% Homeless being Irish is better?

I don't get it.

Sure the figures are never representative because homeless people don't really even exist except when you see them on the street.

• Advertisement

So having 100% Homeless being Irish is better?

I don't get it.

Sure the figures are never representative because homeless people don't really even exist except when you see them on the street.

It just adds to the problem.

Homeless does exist even if you don't see it

What % of the minimum wage, lowest wage, crappie jobs are carried out by Irish?

Where are this high percentage of minimum wage earners allowed to live ?

Who is doing all the pizza delivery, the chicken ball making, kitchen porters, nursing assistants, Toxic fume cheap as chips Asian nail and toe polishers?

Remember everyone cries Rip Off Republic when they have to pay for services, and it's all great and dandy until this exploited cohort start looking to put an affordable roof over their heads.

What % of the minimum wage, lowest wage, crappie jobs are carried out by Irish?

Where are this high percentage of minimum wage earners allowed to live ?

Who is doing all the pizza delivery, the chicken ball making, kitchen porters, nursing assistants, Toxic fume cheap as chips Asian nail and toe polishers?

Remember everyone cries Rip Off Republic when they have to pay for services, and it's all great and dandy until this exploited cohort start looking to put an affordable roof over their heads.

I don't know you tell me

I don't know you tell me

Didn't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

fxotoole wrote: »
    Figures like what?

80% of homeless people are EU citizens.

i.e. the vast majority of homeless people are EU citizens

I don't see what the problem is tbh.

You do know that the freedom to travel within the EU is dependent on your capacity to support yourself. After 3 months if you can’t support yourself you can, and should, be repatriated. We don’t owe anyone the right to live here if they can’t support themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

You do know that the freedom to travel within the EU is dependent on your capacity to support yourself. After 3 months if you can’t support yourself you can, and should, be repatriated. We don’t owe anyone the right to live here if they can’t support themselves.

Exactly. So, rather than focusing on resolving the issue of 80% of homeless being EU citizens who should be ejected from the country (assuming they've been here more than 3 months), the OP is ranting about the 20% who are in the minority. OP needs to get his priorities straight.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Exactly. So, rather than focusing on resolving the issue of 80% of homeless being EU citizens who should be ejected from the country (assuming they've been here more than 3 months), the OP is ranting about the 20% who are in the minority. OP needs to get his priorities straight.

EU or Non-EU they are a drain. We need proper border control and people who shouldn’t be here shouldn’t be here.

Didn't think so.

So tell me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

How can the government ever solve this problem with figures like that?

It’s madness.

Do people not realize once you house these non EU families an influx will happen.

But hey let’s house everyone who wants a house.

Why is there never a balanced debate on the people in emergency accommodation?

All Sinn Fein rant about is how they all need a house of their own, but never any questions asked.

What's Sinn Fein got to do with it? You can't criticise FG/FF policy and then whinge about Sinn Fein, well you can, but it doesn't make any sense.

Emergency accommodation could be avoided if we had social housing stock. Regardless of your view, it's cheaper for the tax payer.
    FG/FF have fed all these issues to keep developers and property investors in profit, while the tax payer gets rode...but Mary Lou, go on...

What's Sinn Fein got to do with it? You can't criticise FG/FF policy and then whinge about Sinn Fein, well you can, but it doesn't make any sense.

Emergency accommodation could be avoided if we had social housing stock. Regardless of your view, it's cheaper for the tax payer.
    FG/FF have feed all these issues to keep developers and property investors in profit, while the tax payer gets rode...but Mary Lou, go on...

Well seems they are advocates for open borders it does make sense.

• Advertisement

Well seems they are advocates for open borders it does make sense.

So you don't really want a debate about people on emergency accommodation, just to give out about foreigners and Sinn Fein, righty-o.

So you don't really want a debate about people on emergency accommodation, just to give out about foreigners and Sinn Fein, righty-o.

Well my opinion is we will never get people out of emergency accommodation if we just let every Tom Dick and Harry in who wants a house and gets it by going “homeless”

It’s that simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What's Sinn Fein got to do with it?.

Got to do, got to do with it

Well my opinion is we will never get people out of emergency accommodation if we just let every Tom Dick and Harry in who wants a house and gets it by going “homeless”

It’s that simple really.

We should be vetting these people, which I assume we do?
    What SF may or may not do in office keeps FF/FG bums on seats, they keep upsetting people, but better the devil you know and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

1 in 5 is non EU?

So 4 in 5 are EU.

Is that 4 Irish no Europeans?

Is that 3 Irish 1 European?

Is that 2 Irish 2 Europeans?

Is That 1 Irish 3 Europeans?

Is that 0 Irish 4 Europeans?

Can anybody say where all the non EU lowest paid, zero contracts, crappie job, bum and puke cleaner jobbers are deemed to allowed to live ?

So basically you are saying people should be deported to the country where they have a passport from, even though they may have left there when a few months old and know nobody there or may not even speak the language ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

It’s that simple really.

By going "homeless" ? There's a process involved in getting yourself registered as homeless , you must be as in need of housing , you can be homeless priority or without priority , your medical needs or age may categorise you again.You may told you're are HAP and not to assume social housing may be available for you sometime soon and some foreign national will not get housed.

Simple .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

What's Sinn Fein got to do with it?.

Sinn Fein are demanding open borders and unlimited immigration while still trying to promote itself as a Nationalist party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein are demanding open borders and unlimited immigration while still trying to promote itself as a Nationalist party.

Because one cant be nationlist and left leaning??

Blaas4life wrote: »
    Because one cant be nationlist and left leaning??

One can't be a Nationalist while supporting policies that would turn your own people into a minority in their own Country.

Don't forget Sinn Fein's motto used to be "We ourselves, alone"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

1 in 5 is non EU?

So 4 in 5 are EU.

Is that 4 Irish no Europeans?

Is that 3 Irish 1 European?

Is that 2 Irish 2 Europeans?

Is That 1 Irish 3 Europeans?

Is that 0 Irish 4 Europeans?

Yeah I wonder why we are not being told this information. Articles on rte every couple of days about the homeless but never any mention of this. I'd say paddy taxpayers sympathy would evaporate if he realized how much is being squandered handing out homes to newly arrived parasites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    One can't be a Nationalist while supporting policies that would turn your own people into a minority in their own Country.

Even if it helps dilute the britsh interst and festering presence here?

Blaas4life wrote: »
    Even if it helps dilute the britsh interst and festering presence here?

I'll take British over Islam any day of the week and twice on Sundays. Atleast British culture is compatible with Irish culture. Even if both sides don't want to admit it.

enricoh wrote: »
    Yeah I wonder why we are not being told this information. Articles on rte every couple of days about the homeless but never any mention of this. I'd say paddy taxpayers sympathy would evaporate if he realized how much is being squandered handing out homes to newly arrived parasites

I'd think its safe to say the Irish taxpayer is aware of where the money is going and who its going to.

• Advertisement

So basically you are saying people should be deported to the country where they have a passport from, even though they may have left there when a few months old and know nobody there or may not even speak the language ?

Yes. Not our problem.

Advertisement