Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining a receipt from shop owner

Options
  • 20-06-2018 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

So I've got myself into a bit of a predicament.
    Two years ago I bought an iPhone 6s plus from a non apple phone shop and paid cash.
    Recently, I bought a new Samsung phone and factory reset my iPhone in order to give it to my mum, all was good until I kept getting the message "this iPhone cannot be activated for service". Eventually I got on to apple to see what the problem was and they said that this iPhone was not activated to be sold as it didn't arrive to an apple store, so basically, it was stolen. I asked how come when I bought the iPhone I never got this message and it was working perfecting and they replied that these people have a way of getting around these things.
    My predicament is, I genuinely cannot remember if I got a receipt from the seller and the shop is currently closed, without proof of purchase apple cannot help me activate the phone.
    I paid just over €700 for it and I don't think I'd be able to cope if it cannot be used again.
    Anyone any tips on how I can obtain a receipt or proof of purchase ?
    IPhone also didn't come in a box, I know I know, all the signs were there, my mam already gave me a lecture about this and she'll probably keep saying it to me until the day I die!
    Much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would guess that your best bet is to go into a similar type shop and ask them to "get around it"!
    You paid over €700 for an iPhone without proper papers etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭LucyIrish06

C3PO wrote: »
    I would guess that your best bet is to go into a similar type shop and ask them to "get around it"!
    You paid over €700 for an iPhone without proper papers etc?

Wish it was that easy! It cant be done.
    Before i left the shop i checked to see if the phone was in warranty with apple and it was for the next 11 months, nothing appeared on the apple warranty page when i typed in the IMEI number so i assumed it was all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

i wouldn't recommend attempting fraud of any sort, such as suggesting another shop issue with a backdated receipt. thats fraud.

if the phone has a dodgy history, it is right and proper that it be blocked, and a (rather expensive) lesson learned. As you have nothing to hide, i would be onto apple explaining

1. the phone was purchased 2 years ago, and receipt was not kept up for 2 years.
    2. vendor is closed

i would ask for an official reponse in writing as to why they cannot/will not help, and explain that you are a victim in this scenario, and that although you got 2 years of use of your phone you would expect an apple product to last longer than that, and that you are out of pocket. you might be able to persuade them to allow you to purchase a refurb replacement at minimal price or perhaps a voucher etc.

3. finally the phone could be jailbroken, and you can change the IMEI on A jailbroken iphone. which then could be used. neither of those step are illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't obtain a receipt if the shop is closed and realistically it wouldn't be of any help anyway.

L1011 wrote: »
    You can't obtain a receipt if the shop is closed and realistically it wouldn't be of any help anyway.
    Yes i know that, apple states its the only way to prove my purchase and getting the phone unlocked so it can be used again.

• Advertisement

Yes i know that, apple states its the only way to prove my purchase and getting the phone unlocked so it can be used again.

Even if you had a receipt, they wouldn't accept it as proof that it was legitimately purchased though - that's the point. A receipt for purchase of stolen goods is at best a liability.

The phone is now a dead loss unless another dodgy shop is able to circumvent it but recommendations for that would not be allowed here.

Even if you had a receipt, they wouldn't accept it as proof that it was legitimately purchased though - that's the point. A receipt for purchase of stolen goods is at best a liability.

The phone is now a dead loss unless another dodgy shop is able to circumvent it but recommendations for that would not be allowed here.
    That's incorrect, i was talking to a senior advisor from apple and he was the one who said any form of purchase will do in order to get it activated in the mean time they will be investigating the shop.

That's incorrect, i was talking to a senior advisor from apple and he was the one who said any form of purchase will do in order to get it activated in the mean time they will be investigating the shop.

They would mean a proof of purchase from an authorised retailer.

Regardless, you can't get a proof of purchase from this retailer anyway. A receipt from elsewhere would be fraud.

They would mean a proof of purchase from an authorised retailer.

Regardless, you can't get a proof of purchase from this retailer anyway.
    Im sorry, were you the one on the phone talking to apple or was I ?
    I explained my situation as explained above and he sympathized with me and told me he needs any sort of proof and will assist me in getting the iPhone activated.

Im sorry, were you the one on the phone talking to apple or was I ?
    I explained my situation as explained above and he sympathized with me and told me he needs any sort of proof and will assist me in getting the iPhone activated.

If you don't want advice, don't ask for it

You are looking to get a fraudulent receipt here basically.

Nobody else but the store you bought it from can provide proof of purchase. Proof of purchase for stolen goods is not something you *want* to have, for legal reasons.

• Advertisement

If you don't want advice, don't ask for it

You are looking to get a fraudulent receipt here basically.

I dont recall mentioning ANYWHERE in my post about obtaining a "fraudulent" receipt, it was another member who mentioned it, not me.
    There is no way I would even attempt to supply apple with a fake receipt as its illegal and wouldn't want to get myself into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You paid cash so can't even get a credit card statement.

To be honest, I think the only way you'll get it sorted is by 'dodgy' means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Did you pay cash or by card? Maybe your credit card statement might have the name of the shop and you can see of it moved elsewhere.

Miaireland wrote: »
    Did you pay cash or by card? Maybe your credit card statement might have the name of the shop and you can see of it moved elsewhere.
    Paid cash unfortunately but i know the name and address of the shop which i passed on to apple but its been three weeks and i haven't heard anything yet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can buy iPhones from multiple retailers, it does not need to be bought in an apple store. Have you assumed it's stolen I very much doubt apple said it was stolen.
    I'd take it to consumer affairs, Apple have been fined for things like this in multiple countries. Get them to put it in writing why they won't unbrick your iPhone. If you put the serial number in on the apple site it'll show the activation date which is basically when your warranty starts. You paid cash and lost the receipt that does not give them a right to break your phone and not fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

From what I've read here. I think the OP is suggesting going to a similar shop so they can make it work like the original dodgy shop did for him in the beginning.

You can buy iPhones from multiple retailers, it does not need to be bought in an apple store. Have you assumed it's stolen I very much doubt apple said it was stolen.
    I'd take it to consumer affairs, Apple have been fined for things like this in multiple countries. Get them to put it in writing why they won't unbrick your iPhone. If you put the serial number in on the apple site it'll show the activation date which is basically when your warranty starts. You paid cash and lost the receipt that does not give them a right to break your phone and not fix it.
    They didn't say exactly it was stolen, they said that the manufacturer of the iPhone dispatched a batch of iPhone s to an apple store and the batch didn't reach its destination.
    Ive went on to the site and Entered the serial number and it states
    "Valid Purchase Date

A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need."
    Everything else is expired as expected.
    Thank you for the information!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Surely even if the shop did manage to get a receipt for you it doesn't change the fact it's still a stolen phone so are you sure apple will be happy to help unlock it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

They didn't say exactly it was stolen, they said that the manufacturer of the iPhone dispatched a batch of iPhone s to an apple store and the batch didn't reach its destination.
    Ive went on to the site and Entered the serial number and it states
    "Valid Purchase Date

A validated purchase date lets Apple quickly find your product and provide the help you need."
    Everything else is expired as expected.
    Thank you for the information!

Your right they pretty much said it was stolen by that response, is this what you checked the warranty information https://checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/en/;jsessionid=node01kw6le70gi0aw1jczbejcm0hy81531158.node0

Only thing you can do is take it to a repair shop, either sell it to them for parts or see have they a way around it, new brain might fix it but they brick non authorized repairs as well so best just sell it for parts.

Advertisement