Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with rent

Options
  • 20-06-2018 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi guys,I'm 30 years old still living with my parents.i was living out by myself a couple of years ago but my landlord put the rent up and I was unable to afford it.i work full time but my wages jus dosent bring me anywhere near the money required for today's rent markets.i was just wondering is there anything I may be entitled to some relief or anything as a full time worker?thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

johnogog88 wrote: »
    Hi guys,I'm 30 years old still living with my parents.i was living out by myself a couple of years ago but my landlord put the rent up and I was unable to afford it.i work full time but my wages jus dosent bring me anywhere near the money required for today's rent markets.i was just wondering is there anything I may be entitled to some relief or anything as a full time worker?thanks in advance.

Have you spoke to the Local Councils with regards to HAP or talked to Citizens Info with regards to looking at what aids are available to you such as FIS etc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Upskill abd find a new job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ted1 wrote: »

Such a simple solution. It's like that time somebody on boards tried to solve the 2008 financial crisis by saying "just get a job".

What about sharing OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

johnogog88 wrote: »
    Hi guys,I'm 30 years old still living with my parents.i was living out by myself a couple of years ago
    You either share, or move far out enough that you'll be paying less rent, but not far enough out that your transport bill will end up making it cheaper to do the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Council housing is the government's option for people on low wages.

Register with the council for sure .. but you'll be a good while getting allocated a place as a single man.

In the meantime, houseshare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Yea house share or move to an affordable area if you'd like to live away from parents which at 30 most people do want to do. I'd say you've a few friends or workmates in same situation and you could team up. In the longer term upskilling is good advice, obviously it takes time though. That will possibly make you eligible for mortgage in the future too.

I'm well qualified in a well paying profession I've been studying and upskilling all my life I still am but I would seriously struggle to pay over Dublin rent prices on 1 salary.

Do you mind sharing salary and desired location so people can help further. Bit vague at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Council housing is the government's option for people on low wages.

Register with the council for sure .. but you'll be a good while getting allocated a place as a single man. In the meantime, houseshare.

He may never get a house or a flat, but it's important to be aware that in order to be eligible for HAP a person must first be one's Local Authority Housing List.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Such a simple solution. It's like that time somebody on boards tried to solve the 2008 financial crisis by saying "just get a job".

What about sharing OP?
    So are you saying that the op should continue in his low paid job and share till he moves into a nursing home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

So are you saying that the op should continue in his low paid job and share till he moves into a nursing home

That's exactly what I said. Took you long enough to decipher... :rolleyes:

Advertisement