Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cannabis - It must be time for legality.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

This!!!

We need to stop trying to babysit adults. As with anything Cannabis can be very helpful for people, be it to help them sleep, raise their appetite, manage pain or simply unwind after a long day in work.
    It doesnt matter why people decide to use it, its nobodies business as long as they are adults.
    Anything can be abused but there isnt even a danger of overdosing on cannabis. And legalizing/decriminalizing is not going to make it mandatory so if it's not your thing then that is perfectly fine too :)

100% agree with the above, and imo a state that makes criminals of people doing something that does not affect others is not desirable.

Drug dealers don’t ask for ID when selling it to customers, a buyer is a buyer no matter what age they are. A regulated service would indeed check for age before dispensing it, similar to alcohol & tobacco. Will that prevent under 18’s from obtaining it and using it? Of course not, but it would certainly be more difficult for under 18’s to get it.

Also this.
    And realistically, I have children who are going to be exposed to the drug scene in a few years' time as young adults. I would much rather they would have a safe option of a regulated, clean product from a store, rather than have them procure something from somewhere shady.

You know, just like if they're going to drink alcohol, well I know it's unlikely it'll be some poteen or other alcoholic concoction made in someone's shed, when they can simply buy a bottle in a shop (or have it served in a pub).

Humans'll be humans. We like using mind altering substances as a species, it's not anything new really. What's new is science, and how we can now tell that Cannabis and alcohol are less harmful than crystal meth, Lsd, heroine etc...

Given that, I'd rather my little human specimens had that choice of relatively safer psychotropics (if it gets to it, which it might never of course).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Better get down to the shop before there's a rush on munchies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I really just should just have this saved somewhere so I can say the same in every weed thread that comes up.

In my 10 years of being a Garda, I've never arrested someone for being stoned and committing a crime. It just doesn't happen. Some criminals may have cannabis in their system, but the main intoxicant that caused them to commit the crime is usually a class A or alcohol. I've arrested 1 person for having cannabis, and that's because he tried to sell to an off-duty student Garda. The drugs unit went after the dealers, and I had found young fellas with it on them, but if it was the only thing they had and they weren't involved in another crime, I let them off with a warning and confiscated the weed. Why? Because I didn't want to take away some young fellas opportunity to get into America due to having the bones of a 25 or 50 bag on them.

I would easily say that in the vast majority of cases I was investigated, aside from road traffic incidents, alcohol was involved. Burglary, theft, public order, domestic abuse, I can honestly say that alcohol was a contributing factor in about 90% of them. Throw in cocaine, heroin and MDMA (to a very lesser extent) into some of those cases too. I've never come across a case of any crime where the criminal was doing it to feed a weed habit, or because they were high.

The general consensus is that weed smokers don't commit crime because they're too busy eating the crap food aisle of Tesco, ordering take aways and sitting at home. This could change if it was legalised, as smoking cafes would become a thing, and idiots would try to drink and smoke at the same time and not do it in the correct order (smoke, pint, smoke, pint, etc) and end up pulling a whitey and going to sleep wherever they are. That's the worse outcome imo. Night in the cells, public order fine, out the gap. A stoner won't put up a fight, because they're usually not able to/couldn't be bothered. Stoners don't come to the attention of Gardaí like a drunk or coked up person would.

If it was legalised, you would see an increase in consumption, but it would die down very quick imo. People would figure out if it's for them or not. Legalise it and it will take a LOT of dealers off the streets. Will they look for income elsewhere? Probably, but a lot of weed dealers do it just to get their own for free, as it's so bloody expensive! Plus, you don't know what you're getting. If it's legal, it would be like going into Next Door and picking out your tipple for the night. Clean, guaranteed strains, properly labelled with THC/CBD content, possible side effects and expected type of stone. It would be taxed and bring in so much money in tax, the gubberment may even reduce taxes elsewhere! Probably not though, knowing our greedy feckers!

I'm all for legalisation. I'm no longer a Garda, and since quitting, I've discovered so many people smoke it. I know one lad who worked his way up to co-director of an IT Infrastructure company. He's a fully functioning stoner, with a wife, 2 kids, a mortgage, and you wouldn't even think he smokes. His missus gives out, but not a word said on the bottle of wine she drinks every night/2 nights, and even more at the weekend. He's spending less than he was when drinking, and would spend even less if it was legalised.

Yes, there will be mental health issues, but most independent studies have shown that weed exacerbates a pre-existing mental health condition, one you may not know you had until you smoked it. This is where personal responsibility comes into it. We have no issues with personal responsibility with alcohol, ignoring/not really tackling the fact that people over indulge. But this will happen with any product. Some people don't know when to stop/quite/cut back. It's why we have alcoholics. Same will be with weed, but imo, to a lesser extent. The tax revenue should be used to set up drug rehabilitation centres for such reasons.

And you'll have some Gardaí stating it's as bad as heroin, but there's idiots in every job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

seamus wrote: »
    The medicinal uses are very overhyped tbh.

All the social media articles would have you believe that it's a wonder drug, when realistically very few proper studies have confirmed any medicinal use.

That's not to say I'm against legalisation, but be honest about the fact that you just want to get high, don't use pop science and anecdotes to pretend you're looking for medicine. You're not, you're looking to get off your tits. And that's fine.

You realise why that is, right? Like, people that raise this point understand that in depth studies cannot be easily done on illegal substances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

On a kind of side note Michael Pollan, he of 'Eat food, Not a lot, Mostly plants' fame, has recently published a book called How To Change Your Mind about the use of psychedelics for treatment of mental illness among other things, and he has been giving a few talks of late, including a recent one at Google and a longer interview with Joe Rogan. He points out that since SSRIs there have been hardly any advances in treatment of poor mental health and that the area is notoriously difficult to deal with, but that in the last couple of years since the post 60s drugs panic finally died off there has been a big uptick in academic research in the area and the studies are finding significantly positive results. Paul Stamets is another interesting guy in the area of useful psychoactive substances.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I know people who are mentally and physically fried from alcohol abuse or have died from smoking related cancers.

If anything, legalise it to take it away from the dealers and tax the f*ck out of it.

God, I hate this "tax the **** out of it" trope, it's actually counterproductive to one of the biggest reasons and positives of legalising drugs; fighting the black market. If the legal drug is taxed highly then it allows the black market to remain competitive. It would need to be taxed so that it can be fairly priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Arrival wrote: »
    You realise why that is, right? Like, people that raise this point understand that in depth studies cannot be easily done on illegal substances?

Aside from the whole legality issue there's still a huge stigma to overcome.

There is plenty of evidence to suggest THC and/or CBD can be hugely beneficial in the treatment of pain, anxiety, PTSD and a whole range of other things.

But exactly like you said the studies aren't being done because it's either a complete bureaucratic nightmare or just outright impossible.

That's aside from the whole fact that for many medical professionals it would just be career suicide in the current climate to even be associated with studies such as these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I have crohns disease and believe me this stuff is a life saver ..my other options steriods and humira and look at the side effects from them ..
    Funny that, I had a friend who was actually the same. Had to drink those horrendous purple drink jobbies, but after smoking a small bit of weed he would be able to put down a sandwich and fruit.
    If people are more informed about different strains and their effects then they can take what suits ..
    Also really important. I usually have 2-3 grams in the house to get me to sleep if I need it (maybe 4-6 nights a month, but sleeping pills are fecking terrifying) but in Ireland you never know what you're getting. Last time I wound up with some really mild sativa, whoop-dee-doo no sleep for me so!

Malayalam wrote: »
    On a kind of side note Michael Pollan, he of 'Eat food, Not a lot, Mostly plants' fame, has recently published a book called How To Change Your Mind about the use of psychedelics for treatment of mental illness among other things, and he has been giving a few talks of late, including a recent one at Google and a longer interview with Joe Rogan. He points out that since SSRIs there have been hardly any advances in treatment of poor mental health and that the area is notoriously difficult to deal with, but that in the last couple of years since the post 60s drugs panic finally died off there has been a big uptick in academic research in the area and the studies are finding significantly positive results. Paul Stamets is another interesting guy in the area of useful psychoactive substances.

There's a study being done in Dublin on the use of ketamine in depression, some interesting (and very promising) work being done with psilocybin as well in London.

But it's all just in it's infancy from what I gather

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

wexie wrote: »
    There's a study being done in Dublin on the use of ketamine in depression, some interesting (and very promising) work being done with psilocybin as well in London.

I'd be a bit nervous to try it myself at this point in life as I try to hold on to whatever titter of wit I have left but I have heard good things about DMT used therapeutically and if I found myself in a dark place I would certainly consider it seriously

Cannabis is an extremely dangerous drug. The top psychiatrist in Ireland was on the radio recently talking about the epidemic of young men presenting to mental health services with life changing psychosis and schizophrenia. Nearly all young men, many from small rural towns, all completely ruined by ‘innocent’ cannabis.

https://m.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/study-proves-cannabis-can-lead-to-psychosis-36917630.html

The hysterical ‘well what about booze’ is the stoners default argument as well. Some losers are going to smoke weed every day anyway, so legalise away. But stop pretending that the drug is not a dirty, dangerous, demotivating substance that makes regular users pathetic and sickly looking creatures.

Cannabis can not cause these mental health issues, it basically triggers them in people who had latent mental health issues. These are a minority. The huge majority of cannabis users and people who would try cannabis upon legalisation would suffer no such negative effects, so how about we act in the interests of the majority instead of pandering to a minority for an argument?

Furthermore, you'll see it in part of this video, there is a strong correlation between prohibition and the strength of the available strains of cannabis. The criminals involved in the cannabis industry are not required to follow and laws or regulations and are risking a lot and so they develop the strongest strains of cannabis they possibly can, with maximum THC levels and minimum CBD levels. With legalisation and suitable regulation, harmful strains of cannabis could be made a thing of the past and consumers would be able to enter a dispensary and choose to buy a nice, gentle strain of cannabis with the effects they wish to experience. It's not too dissimilar to choosing the alcohol you wish to consume when you enter an off license; if you want a few cans in the evening after work to just relax you can easily do this and choose them according to their % vol. or you could pick up a bottle of hard liquor and get langers after a few quick drinks (this is basically the only option available to cannabis consumers currently as they can't choose their strains, they take whatever their criminal dealer happens to have available). There is SO much misinformation and ignorance on this topic. It's time to allow adults to make informed decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I still can't find the answer to the question "why was it ever banned in the first place?"
    Paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Probably become legal with a full public smoking ban. Smokers are smelly bastards but cannabis smokers are in a different fecking league entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cannabis is an extremely dangerous drug. The top psychiatrist in Ireland was on the radio recently talking about the epidemic of young men presenting to mental health services with life changing psychosis and schizophrenia. Nearly all young men, many from small rural towns, all completely ruined by ‘innocent’ cannabis.
    I agree that, like all drugs, it affects people in different ways. Alcohol causes black-outs, aggressiveness, psychosis and schizophrenia, but all of these are often ignored as it doesn't harm the majority of people, and the alcohol industry is fairly powerful.

And I would imagine that said psychiatrist more likely than not was very careful to point out the impact cannabis may have on the developing brain.

Which is precisely why, if it does get legalized, it will still not be legalized for teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

And I would imagine that said psychiatrist more likely than not was very careful to point out the impact cannabis may have on the developing brain.

Which is precisely why, if it does get legalized, it will still not be legalized for teenagers.

He also mentioned people are not buying what they think they're buying, Drug dealers contaminate their product to maximise profits, That would not happen if legilised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Benteke wrote: »
    He also mentioned people are not buying what they think they're buying, Drug dealers contaminate their product to maximise profits, That would not happen if legilised

Aye because the cigarette industry is beyond reproach.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Aye because the cigarette industry is beyond reproach.

Well then shout and fight to make their product illegal then? Ban the cigs, why legitimise one and not the other?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Probably become legal with a full public smoking ban. Smokers are smelly bastards but cannabis smokers are in a different fecking league entirely.
    You don't have to smoke it. I used to get belted on the stuff without ever inhaling anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The medicinal uses are very overhyped tbh.

You didn't have any evidence at the time you typed this, did you Seamus? There's a plethora of anecdotal evidence online which is quite overwhelming to be honest. It seems to be very effective for some people dealing with epilepsy. For others it's chronic pain, depression, insomnia, anxiety (this one surprised me), stress etc etc.
    All the social media articles would have you believe that it's a wonder drug, when realistically very few proper studies have confirmed any medicinal use.

It's only been used for thousands of years. Why do we need more "proper" reports? What's the minimum number of "proper" reports one needs in order for the information to be trusted?
    That's not to say I'm against legalisation, but be honest about the fact that you just want to get high, don't use pop science and anecdotes to pretend you're looking for medicine. You're not, you're looking to get off your tits. And that's fine.

Some people want to get high, others want to medicate. As it's still illegal, saying you want to get messed up may not be the best way to accomplish your goals ;)

https://m.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/study-proves-cannabis-can-lead-to-psychosis-36917630.html

The hysterical ‘well what about booze’ is the stoners default argument as well. Some losers are going to smoke weed every day anyway, so legalise away.
    But stop pretending that the drug is not a dirty, dangerous, demotivating substance that makes regular users pathetic and sickly looking creatures.[/QUOTE]

Well, how can you possibly support one drug and discredit another, and then promote another drug which is more harmful than the two combined?

What makes you say that cannabis is "dirty, dangerous and demotivating that makes regular users pathetic and sickly looking?" Stuck in your 'aul ways are you? No idea where "dirty" comes from, but you could make an argument about the dangers of the drug, but the rest of your statement is just so out of sync with reality. This approach tends to come from those who listen to Jim and Mary down the local talking about their neighbor who OD'd on the devils lettuce and was a victim of the "reefer madness". "Them weed smokers would rob the eyes out of your head to feed their habit..." Your views are outdated, and it's very unfortunate that those who are less likely to be brain washed by the parish priest need the older, more ignorant generations to kick the bucket before we can see some proper change. What's really hysterical here is your statement, and the irony will be completely lost on you.

20101106_WOC504_0.gif
    Why, when there is a huge campaign underway to deter people from smoking cigarettes, would you legalise another dangerous drug. It's baffling. And the alleged medical benefits are greatly over hyped.

Tobacco is substantially more dangerous than marijuana. There are multiple ways to ingest marijuana which are very safe (Oil, vaping, edibles) and are nothing in comparison to the dangers of other drugs, widely available to the public.

Have any evidence to back up your "over hyped" statement? Or are you just jumping on the bandwagon?

• Advertisement

20101106_WOC504_0.gif

butane?! :eek:

like cooking sausages on the BBQ butane?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm surprised to see Cannabis so high on that list (and laughing so hard that shrooms, LSD and MDMA are so low!). What was the 'harm' they're talking about in that picture?
    butane?! :eek:

like cooking sausages on the BBQ butane?

:confused:

They inhale it to get the high, like petrol but stronger!

I'm surprised to see Cannabis so high on that list (and laughing so hard that shrooms, LSD and MDMA are so low!). What was the 'harm' they're talking about in that picture?

I suspect perhaps (from that graphic) that they're talking overall harm, as in if the occurrence of use is higher it causes more harm.

Doesn't seem to be listed in a way of 'how harmful is this drug for you'

Ketamine is already being successfully used in clinics in New York to treat mental health issues, many things I've read about that drug seem seriously impressive. But again, people's stupidity prevents them from disregarding their bias and looking at these things objectively. You can tell someone has bad critical thinking skills when it comes to the topic of drug legalisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I think Cannabis should be legal here and it should of happened here a long time ago

Between the tax take, taking money out of organized crime, freeing up policing/legal/prison systems/resources, investment/improvement in health services as a result offers far more positives to irish society than negatives

In 20 years time, we will be wondering why we were so resistant

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Surely some strains of the plant itself would thrive off the long daylight hours and temperate climate that the island of Ireland gets in the summer? There could be serious money to be made with the agricultural landscape that covers near 95% of the country.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Chewbacca wrote: »
    I know man, tbats what I was going for. I need to start using smileys.

No objection generally. Only objection is that over the years it has been designed to be a stronger drug than it used to be. It can now mess people up. The good thing is choice can be involved as to strength. I hear about blank packaging in Canada. Punters need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I really can't see any positives to it for those who don't smoke themselves.
    Your money won't be wasted chasing and prosecuting people for trading in a relatively harmless substance.
    You didn't have any evidence at the time you typed this, did you Seamus? There's a plethora of anecdotal evidence online which is quite overwhelming to be honest. It seems to be very effective for some people dealing with epilepsy. For others it's chronic pain, depression, insomnia, anxiety (this one surprised me), stress etc etc.
    Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. There are people who claim drinking bleach cures their IBS. That taking a drop of water that's had some ritual performed on it can take away all sorts of diseases.

Medicine doesn't work because, "lots of people swear it works for them". It works because we test the living fnck out of it to find out what actually works and throw away the sh1t that doesn't.

I understanding what you're saying about proving cannabis's worth with a legitimate use that isn't just getting high off your ass. But that's the long road. That's years of clinical trials. A number of limited cases have been allowed to take CBD oil and various products, but that's mostly public and political pressure rather than any raw proof that it's generally effective.

The easy road is just legalising it. Stop trying to jump through hoops, creatively interpret trial results and gather meaningless anecdotes so you can prove it's useful for another purpose that you don't want it for. It's about as harmful as alcohol, it's less addictive, and it lets people get a little off their head like most of us enjoy doing every now again with our substance of choice. So stop wasting my money clamping down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

A friend of my girlfriend has a husband who does abuse cannabis he sits at home all day smoking and playing playstation ..a waster...
    she was saying look how how harmful it is ..
    Then i said to her alright imagine he was an alcoholic getting pissed everyday ..would it be worse ..and yes she agreed it would ...the cost would be much more ...more likely to be aggressive ..much more risk taking behaviour ..
    Alcohol is the drug that causes nearly all the problems we have in society ..

Im a father myself and my main worry would be my son getting drunk or getting attacked by someone off their head drunk ...him getting attacked by someone stoned is not a worry believe me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The hysterical ‘well what about booze’ is the stoners default argument as well. Some losers are going to smoke weed every day anyway, so legalise away. But stop pretending that the drug is not a dirty, dangerous, demotivating substance that makes regular users pathetic and sickly looking creatures.

Whole heap of FlutterinBantam about that post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

A friend of my girlfriend has a husband who does abuse cannabis he sits at home all day smoking and playing playstation ..a waster...

No, he’s just a lazy waster. Full Stop. The cannabis didn’t make him that way.

Someone doesn’t punch their wife and blame it on having 12 pints of beer making them do it. They were already a scumbag, and the beer might have merely brought their scummy behaviour to the fore, but certainly not caused them to become a scumbag. That’s something that they had all by themselves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Prohibition against any drugs is a nonsense idea to me. It’s the very essence of nanny statism. It makes even less sense when you selectively choose which drugs are legal.

Legalize them all. Take the enourmous cash flow out of the hands of dangerous criminals. Free up Garda resources. Spend the money saved on enforcement and the new revenue from taxes on education on the dangers of drugs and rehabilitation for those with serious drug habits.

Some people can drink once a week and be grand. Some people are alcoholics. Other drugs are the same. Most drug addicts are self medicating to numb pain, mostly psychological pain that they haven’t dealt with. The drugs aren’t actually the problem, they’re a symptom.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

No, he’s just a lazy waster. Full Stop. The cannabis didn’t make him that way.

Someone doesn’t punch their wife and blame it on having 12 pints of beer making them do it. They were already a scumbag, and the beer might have merely brought their scummy behaviour to the fore, but certainly not caused them to become a scumbag. That’s something that they had all by themselves.

yes i agree with u he is a lazy waster ..but i feel over indulging in booze carries more problems than over indulging in cannabis ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's certainly time for a referendum on it for medicinal use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's certainly time for a referendum on it for medicinal use.

We don’t need a referendum. There’s no constitutional ban.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kevinandrewz

Look it's not that complicated, realistically what do you think is better give two options a unregulated market or a regulated market. It's obvious, weed isn't illegal cos its dangerous its illegal due to the fact many players in society stand to gain from it being illegal big tobacco/pharma & alcohol, court system lawyers gov etc and multi national corporations who would have competition if weed/hemp was made legal. Most if not all drugs should be legalized as people should have the right to choose their own freedoms rather than have someone else tell them what they can or cannot do with their bodies. Why should you dictate to another person what they can and cant do with their own self if it does not harm anyone else, if a guy wants to smoke weed that is his business and no ones else. Why should any government have the power to interfere in someones else own life and personal choices. Making cannabis etc illegal does more harm than good, you are just allowing violent cartels to have a monopoly over a product in which they have no morals and are liable to do anything they wish in the process. Why isn't alcohol, cigarettes and fast food banned as well they are very harmful too we must ought not to have obese people who are addicted to McDonald's it will cause them numerous problems later in life, by the same standards they should be arrested due to the fact they are damaging their own bodies and are addicted to a harmful substance. If you believe in choice, freedom and individual responsibility for ones own action it makes zero sense to have a plant made illegal but ideally any government doesn't want you growing a plant in your back garden cos it would lose tax revenue and hurt big corporation pockets.
    youtube(dot com) /watch?v=nLsCC0LZxkY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Easy to spot the potheads from the posts on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Anecdotal evidence is not evidence. There are people who claim drinking bleach cures their IBS. That taking a drop of water that's had some ritual performed on it can take away all sorts of diseases.

Medicine doesn't work because, "lots of people swear it works for them". It works because we test the living fnck out of it to find out what actually works and throw away the sh1t that doesn't.

I understanding what you're saying about proving cannabis's worth with a legitimate use that isn't just getting high off your ass. But that's the long road. That's years of clinical trials. A number of limited cases have been allowed to take CBD oil and various products, but that's mostly public and political pressure rather than any raw proof that it's generally effective.

The easy road is just legalising it. Stop trying to jump through hoops, creatively interpret trial results and gather meaningless anecdotes so you can prove it's useful for another purpose that you don't want it for. It's about as harmful as alcohol, it's less addictive, and it lets people get a little off their head like most of us enjoy doing every now again with our substance of choice. So stop wasting my money clamping down on it.

Anecdotal evidence is actual evidence, it's just not the evidence you are after.

Do the research yourself, see what it does for people? Or don't, and remain ignorant. That's your choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 kevinandrewz

You shouldn't really jump to conclusions I have never actually smoked it or cigarettes. Why would you care what an other person consumes once it doesn't affect you. If a guy wants to smokes his brains out and drink alcohol till the cows come that's his choice but I wont partake in such activity. How is alcohol allowed to be even advertised when its one of the most dangerous drugs out there it doesn't make sense. You wouldn't allow your local coke dealer to take out ads in a newspaper and why would you allow a retailer to post 'Paddy's day deals' on xyz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I support cannabis legalization and I dont smoke

Here's some more tar for that brush...

"Pot heads"

How to tell someone is old and has outdated views on drugs in one phrase

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

aint that the truth ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is something very.... suspect... about the whole idea of "recreational drugs", of folk taking mind altering stuff deliberately from choice that will affect all they do . Mind control is a suspect thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Graces7 wrote: »
    There is something very.... suspect... about the whole idea of "recreational drugs", of folk taking mind altering stuff deliberately from choice that will affect all they do . Mind control is a suspect thing

Humans have been using substances to alter their consciousness pretty much since day one. There is nothing sinister about it, it's just part of the human condition IMO and it's the trying to suppress it with useless laws that leads to problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Liam O wrote: »
    It's weed, not heroin.

I'd say there are a lot of other issues that would lead to psychosis and schizophrenia in young men these days. Not saying smoking every day isn't bad, obviously everything in moderation, but eat cake or drink 8 cans every day and bad things will happen.

Also in Ireland a lot of joints would be mainly tobacco, mainly due to the fact weed is so expensive here so I would doubt that it would be the strongest stuff. Doesn't seem to be an epidemic in the likes of Denver or California, wonder why?

This is from someone who doesn't smoke weed bar the very odd occasion.

How long has it been legal in those places ?

Calarfonia maybe 15 years ?
    Dever less than 10 ?

I'd give it a lot longer before anyone can make a case for or against legalization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Graces7 wrote: »

Suspect me arse. 80% of the adult Irish population drink alcohol, making it the number one "recreational drug" in the country.

I bet you, or someone you love is a "recreational drug" user. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Arrival wrote: »
    "Pot heads"

How to tell someone is old and has outdated views on drugs in one phrase

ed0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

How long has it been legal in those places ?

Calarfonia maybe 15 years ?
    Dever less than 10 ?

I'd give it a lot longer before anyone can make a case for or against legalization.

Cannabis has been decriminalised in the Netherlands for over 40 years, and only 8% of the population use it. Hardly an epidemic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's not something that suits me and I don't personally like it, but I can't think of any real reason why it shouldn't be made legal and taxed.
    Pyr0 wrote: »
    If anything, legalise it to take it away from the dealers and tax the f*ck out of it.

I know if it was ever made legal there's no chance it won't be taxed. But seriously why is it that people are always happy for someone else's fun to be taxed? I'd bet you'd be slow calling for it to be taxed if you liked it yourself.
    Do you like the way things are taxed in Ireland? Alcohol and petrol comes to mind?

Is it like if you're having fun that I won't be having I want you to pay dearly for it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement