Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearing question...

Options
  • 20-06-2018 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

The more I look the more I find conflicting answers, so it’s over to the Boardies. I currently have 52/36. - 11/28, I was thinking of going to 11/30, question is do I need a new/medium derailleur or will short cage work. Will I notice much benefit with the 30 or would I be better going to 32. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what rear derailleur do you have? if it's short cage shimano, a lot of them are limited to 28t max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

It’s short cage at the moment (ultegra)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what derailleur is it? i.e. the model - you should be able to check the specs for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

If its 105 (5800) ultegra (6800) or 7900 dura ace the 11-30 will go on and have a small amount left on the B screw. May need a link or two extra in the chain but its fine. 11-32 with these and the B screw all the way in and it works but the teeth off the 32 ring on the cassette rubs the upper jockey wheel slightly so dont try that big.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

11-30 is fine with the short cage

I run 11-32 with the medium cage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Will shift better with a medium cage so worth the investment. It is possible with short cage up to 11 30 but I only have experience personally with a compact up front 34 50. Maybe some of the previous posters have done it with your set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

I recently did exactly what you're looking to do - i.e. I have Ultegra 6800 with a 52/36 and had an 11/28 on the rear with a short cage derailleur. I bought an 11/30 rear cassette and it wouldn't work, so I had to change to a long cage.
    If it were me again, I'd have gone to an 11/32 - not because there's necessarily any great difference, rather I only bought the 11/30 as I thought I could use it without having to change the derailleur. Given I had to in the end, I may as well have gone with the 11/32

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/PILO-S14-Alpe-DHuez-Road-Fairy/112352865388?hash=item1a28c0ac6c:g:qesAAOSwXYtY3QlO

I wanted to go from 11-28 to 11-32. I have a Sram Red groupset. I didn't want to buy a new rear derailleur.
    I did a bit of research and found the Pilo Alpe dHuez Fairy.
    It takes about 2 minutes to instal. It works perfectly.
    I had to put on a new chain, because of the larger cassette.
    I think, I've read, that it is not useable with electronic shifting.
    The link above is the first, I came across on eBay this morning. It may be available, cheaper, elsewhere.

Edit. I have just read a review from someone, who used the fairy with Ultegra Di2, with no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

That would do the job alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bwdbwd

What about a 50/34 compact ?

36*30 is almost identical ratio as 34*28

Compact cost V's cassette, derailleur & possibly chain

• Advertisement
Advertisement