Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where has everyone gone?

Options
  • 20-06-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

This thread used to be a great place to exchange views on many leaving cert papers. The Maths threads would go on for pages. Every subject was discussed in detail with numerous contributions. This year the forum seems to have died a death with few contributions.

Are students discussing these papers elsewhere or have they given up talking about the papers? I am just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thr000w

I came here for those discussions, but I seem to be the only one here. There's not much discussion on Studyclix either. Maybe people just don't care this year for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

Yeah I'm also wondering this, where is everyone? All the LC forums, from boards to reddit to studyclix are all dead. Is there somewhere else?

I was actually looking forward to all the boards discussion last year haha

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm glad to hear that it's not just us, I was beginning to wonder if I'd inadvertently left the traffic signal stuck on red! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I think that the lack of activity here is representative of a decline in online forums in general. There are so many more places to get information nowadays, and many forums just don't attract the same volume of people anymore. Having said that, I'm not sure where people are going for these broad Leaving Cert discussions anymore. Perhaps there are big Facebook groups, or maybe there hasn't been anything like it this year because the number of visitors is simply on the decline, reducing the number of topics and replies, which in turn contributes to even less people coming to and contributing to the forum. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

It's because the majority of people are age would rather send blank snapchat pictures to their friends for hours on end or scroll through instagram than having a proper discussion, even when it's something relevant to their lives, sad times but that's the world we live in today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I noticed a definite apathy among this year's LC class compared to previous years. Friends of mine teaching in other schools found the same. Capable students were comparing their achievements to those of the least capable in the class and feeling quite pleased with themselves, then allowing themselves to relax.
    Another factor is that parents are terrified of putting their children under pressure. This year more than any year I have had parents say to me "I keep telling her, it's just an exam, don't worry about it, it doesn't define who you are" and parents contacting the school saying that their son or daughter will only be doing homework or study when they feel able to cope with it.
    The consequence is that a cohort of otherwise bright students approached the LC with a cheerful, good-natured devil-may-care attitude. There is just not the same atmosphere of healthy concern among the students, they really don't think the LC is a big deal. Maybe that's why I saw a couple of them sneaking out of English P2 with an hour and 40 mins to go...
    There will always be a number of LC students who aren't bothered about their exams, but this year it seemed they outnumbered the hardworking students and affected the culture and mindset in the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Thr000w

These discussions aren't happening elsewhere. They're just not happening at all. It's strange, because the catharsis of bitching about the unfairness of a paper would be particularly relevant this year given the amount of nasty papers, but it's true all the same. In all honestly, Snapchat probably has impacted this sort of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

I noticed a definite apathy among this year's LC class compared to previous years. Friends of mine teaching in other schools found the same. Capable students were comparing their achievements to those of the least capable in the class and feeling quite pleased with themselves, then allowing themselves to relax.
    Another factor is that parents are terrified of putting their children under pressure. This year more than any year I have had parents say to me "I keep telling her, it's just an exam, don't worry about it, it doesn't define who you are" and parents contacting the school saying that their son or daughter will only be doing homework or study when they feel able to cope with it.
    The consequence is that a cohort of otherwise bright students approached the LC with a cheerful, good-natured devil-may-care attitude. There is just not the same atmosphere of healthy concern among the students, they really don't think the LC is a big deal. Maybe that's why I saw a couple of them sneaking out of English P2 with an hour and 40 mins to go...
    There will always be a number of LC students who aren't bothered about their exams, but this year it seemed they outnumbered the hardworking students and affected the culture and mindset in the group.

This is quite funny actually as there does seem to be an idea among our cohort of students that we're much more laid back about the LC than those who came before us. Always thought that every year believed that about themselves, but maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

lundrum wrote: »
    This is quite funny actually as there does seem to be an idea among our cohort of students that we're much more laid back about the LC than those who came before us. Always thought that every year believed that about themselves, but maybe not.

Coming from the year below, I feel like those that sat it this year in general weren't too worried about it either. Then again that could just be those in my school as the year ahead of us is quite quirky and in general not very academic.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

My daughter is in Facebook groups for the various subjects, she was certainly very concerned about how she did. They are just not in these type of forums.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some years there is a more active group of regulars than others. It just depends on the people involved. Often even one daily poster brings others along with him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I'd say WhatsApp has taken over chief! They are either there or in Magaluf I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I've noticed there's not much of a frenzy whip-up on the radio or tv either. Usually they'd be pouring over each exam with teachers lined up to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Who could compete with the latest Trump tweet or the Brexit circus?

Honestly, sometimes when I listen to the news I reckon I've fallen through the looking glass into a Tom Sharpe novel!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelRising18

I'm just after completing my leaving cert and I would agree that lc 2018 students seem to be very laid back. In my own school we were complemented as being a very motivated year academically but I wouldn't be surprised to see poor results nationwide in August. I have only recently found boards as a leaving cert forum and the students on this forum seem to be far more motivated compared to studyclix.

I'm just after completing my leaving cert and I would agree that lc 2018 students seem to be very laid back. In my own school we were complemented as being a very motivated year academically but I wouldn't be surprised to see poor results nationwide in August. I have only recently found boards as a leaving cert forum and the students on this forum seem to be far more motivated compared to studyclix.

The tests are standardised to each individual particular year. It'll be adjusted to the bell curve once the markers submit their first batch of marked random samples, before proceeding with the main marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Just looking back there the LC off-topic threads from 7 years ago ran to over 20,000 posts, our thread last year ran to about 1,600 with a handful of regulars that provided resources, help and discussion.

I suppose it can be put down to online forums being in decline in general, it's no secret that the number of users logging onto boards.ie has been falling in recent years and this forum is no exception although this particular forum's rate of decline is exceptional.

I still find myself logging in the odd time out of habit more than anything else but I don't bother posting as much

Sad really since this place was genuinely useful for both resources and tips as well as a place to vent when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelRising18

The tests are standardised to each individual particular year. It'll be adjusted to the bell curve once the markers submit their first batch of marked random samples, before proceeding with the main marking.

Okay thanks for clearing that up. For example one of the questions in the accounting paper had a few new adjustments that students wouldn't have seen before. Would the sec adjust the marks if tose particular parts were answered bad and allocate the remainder somehwere else?

Okay thanks for clearing that up. For example one of the questions in the accounting paper had a few new adjustments that students wouldn't have seen before. Would the sec adjust the marks if tose particular parts were answered bad and allocate the remainder somehwere else?

It depends, even if they were answered badly there might be other areas which are answered better in comparison to previous years.
    But all things being equal I think they might change the weighting of the marks to get the percentages of grades in line.
    That's my understanding as a marker. I've not been involved in those higher up decisions.

Advertisement