Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New alarm for house and extension

Options
  • 20-06-2018 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I have a 20 year old wired astec alarm in my house and I'm building an extension. I intend getting a new alarm for the house.

Question is should I go for wired or wireless. Old part of the house is wired but would I be better off going wireless all through or wiring new part as well or even using old wiring and having wireless in new part.

Also, any recommendations for make of alarm.... 4 bed semi by the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

How is the wiring on the existing system. Was the house prewired during construction?
    How is the existing system behaving? Are you getting false alarms from the Astec sensors?
    The GSD i1070 would be a good option to retro fit, upgrade and add wireless.
    You could integrate your existing Astec sensors in full or part if you wish.
    You can mix Astec zones, wired zones and wireless where needed also.
    Plenty of options for monitoring or self monitong with apps if you require that also.
    See the sticky for more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

KoolKid wrote: »
    How is the wiring on the existing system. Was the house prewired during construction?
    How is the existing system behaving? Are you getting false alarms from the Astec sensors?
    The GSD i1070 would be a good option to retro fit, upgrade and add wireless.
    You could integrate your existing Astec sensors in full or part if you wish.
    You can mix Astec zones, wired zones and wireless where needed also.
    Plenty of options for monitoring or self monitong with apps if you require that also.
    See the sticky for more information.

Thanks... Yes the house was pre-wired at construction.... the alarm is misbehaving now and goes off at odd times.... including middle of the night.

We are changing all the old windows so all the existing sensors will have to be changed or
    moved so that's why I'm considering a completely new wireless alarm.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Wired would be preferred as long as the wiring is ok. And it should be. You would also have the option of adding wireless if you wanted or needed it.
    Get someone out to do a good survey for you will help you with some decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭davidconroy46

If wiring on astec system is ok with very little faults alarm, you could have new build of property wired to were orignal panel is. As i would always say if you have a prewired system stick with it.wireless are a handy system for installers to fit, neater for yourself but you have alot of maintence on wireless, wireless ex bells can take anything from 5 to 12 batteries all depends on the bellbox. Wired not alot of maintence. You could put in a hkc 10270 panel with all devoices to be replaced. You can do self monitoring or a full monitored system or you could install the Gsd I : 1070 panel and do a mix of your old devices and new ones on new build. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Would it be better to wire the extension and have a fully wired system, or could I mix wired and wireless...?

• Advertisement

If its a fresh build or wiring is easy then wired should be your first option.

Advertisement