Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was Alan Sugar being racist?

• 20-06-2018 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭

Alan Sugar tweeted a photoshopped picture of the Senegalese team with an array of goods that Africans typically try to sell to tourists in Spain. He has since deleted the tweet and apologised. But was it actually racist? I'd argue that it was more stereotypical than racist.

6nLO4Qk.jpg

Comments

Lazy, I reckon. Quite dated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

'Lord Sugar' lol England is f**king finished man

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Would he not be embarrassed having folk call him Lord?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I thought it was funny. I see the outrage brigade went after him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

He was a bit. Zero fucks given though, I’d say!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

kneemos wrote: »
    I reckon no, as he refers to himself that way in his twitter handle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

everythings racist now, Father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

I don't think it was racist, just really really stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Casual racism. Never good see he's apologised and deleted tweet, pretty much proves that public figures shouldn't have access to Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,810 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Overtly racist no.
    Racially insensitive yes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Errah a bit patronising and stereotypical, I wouldn't even be bothered but Sugar himself was jumping up and down like a lunatic over a load of spurious anti-Semitic stuff not so long back so he can jog on with his 'you're all too soft' commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's not racist.
    Its not funny.
    It is a bit insulting to those players though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

There's a thin line between racism and having the craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pro-establishment scum love all that crap whereby they feel even more superior to the plebs.

So glad we don't have any of that crap here.

What we need next is a law removing the use of the word "Royal" from the title name of institutions within the state.

Goes totally against the principles of equality that a republic espouses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

EPAndlee wrote: »
    There's a thin line between the craic

Good heavens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Everything is racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Looky looky boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

If the twitter "right on" brigade get behind this then he's fùcked.
    They'll hound him til the next "moral crusade" comes along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He loves it. Despite all his waffle about being an ordinary East End lad he's a horribly elitist little prick. I can't f*cking stand him, he was moaning the other day that Corbyn was the devil incarnate for "trying to cool the housing market". Imagine the audacity of a Labour leader not wanting people paying half a million to the likes of Alan Sugar for a one bed flat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Where the tweet about the Nigerian team refunding their supporters for their poor performance just send on your full bank details to receive the refund.

Oh yeah it was funny because no one "famous " tweeted it
    Jesus if we can't see the funny side to the odd stereotypical joke were fuped altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Maybe someone famous will post up a photo of the English team with loads of dead Iraqi and Afghanistani kids in front of them.

See how many people think it's just "the craic" then.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Maybe someone famous will post up a photo of the English team with loads of dead Iraqi and Afghanistani kids in front of them.

Right........

Seriously though, what was he thinking? Surely he could've predicted the snowflake meltdown on Twatter. I'd be surprised if he keeps his job on the Apprentice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's a bit stereotypical. I'm not black African so I really don't care and I suspect a lot of them don't either. The joke itself is rubbish. It will keep people who search Twitter for stuff to be offended by busy for a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A lot of the lads selling the sunglasses on the beaches in Marbella are from Senegal, I can't see the harm in his Tweet, different if none were.

A lot of the lads selling the sunglasses on the beaches in Marbella are from Senegal, I can't see the harm in his Tweet, different if none were.

I guarantee the Senegalese players would find it funny. It's the usual mob who are upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Zebra3 wrote: »

e31.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I thought it was funny. Never been to Marcella but been to Ibiza and Tenerife and the lads in that photo look like the ones selling the fake gear. Maybe i did buy that Lazer pointer off a Senegal international! That woukd be hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Lazy, I reckon. Quite dated too.

Have you been to Spain recently? They are all over the shop in Madrid. I'm always intrigued into how quickly they can wrap up and set up the white blankets so quickly after the inevitable run in with the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Of course he was being racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Of course he was being racist.

It was funny though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Have you been to Spain recently? They are all over the shop in Madrid. I'm always intrigued into how quickly they can wrap up and set up the white blankets so quickly after the inevitable run in with the law.

They do move quickly don't they when police turn up. You can see why a white person will never win the 100 metres ever again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

For me, the reaction to it is like a reverse racism of low expectation. The permanently outraged can't even begin to countenance that the Senegal players might possibly have a good laugh at it and respond with, "Yeah, but look at us now!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

"mu Lord" (touching your forelock) you foolish peasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fcuk off being offended on my behalf you middle class w@nkers

Us lads on the factory floor of life have always ripped the **** out of each other and went for a few drinks afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Casual racism. Never good see he's apologised and deleted tweet, pretty much proves that public figures shouldn't have access to Twitter.

People just need to think before they post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

People really need to stop taking every random post on Twitter or Facebook so seriously in the rush to be offended and start the next witch-hunt.

...... and just as important is that the rest of us don't indulge them and tell them to cop the fook on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Nothing, unless it's a minor slight against white people, is ever racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

DellyBelly wrote: »

They do move quickly don't they when police turn up. You can see why a white person will never win the 100 metres ever again.

Oh, the Lord save us! You're in trouble now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I wouldn't be paying any attention to what anyone is saying about football on twitter or anywhere.

Football is always full of controversies - tedious low brow controversies - which is why I'm totally sick to the hind tweet about anything to do with football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Nothing, unless it's a minor slight against white people, is ever racist.

By white people di you mean jokes about the Scots, Irish, welsh or Poles etc?

Controversial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

“It’s not the Greeks he’s after it’s the Chinese”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Alan Sugar is a hard nosed twat which is probably why he's so bloody successful and rich.

We have seen what Donald Trump is really like after he did the The Apprentice TV show where he was portrayed as a fair minded guy.

I wonder how Alan Sugar would come across if he were elected to office. Shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

The permantely offended pc mob will be howling with outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

Or maybe old folk or people who you seem to be non lefties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Looks to me like you're grouping all public figures together and tarring them with the same brush. Just because one or 2 public figures say something stupid on twitter doesn't mean they all do. Have you met every public figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Where the tweet about the Nigerian team refunding their supporters for their poor performance just send on your full bank details to receive the refund.

Oh yeah it was funny because no one "famous " tweeted it
    Jesus if we can't see the funny side to the odd stereotypical joke were fuped altogether.

The former isn't based on a stereotype, it's based on an email scam. Nigeria and Nigerians aren't the butt of the joke, the scam is.

Sugar's tweet was based on stereotypes and is racist as its premise is 'all black people look alike and when I think of black people I think of people selling rip-off merch in Marbella'.

FunLover18 wrote: »

Sugar's tweet was based on stereotypes and is racist as its premise is 'all black people look alike and when I think of black people I think of people selling rip-off merch in Marbella'.

Row back there a minute and let's examine the issue of perceiving all black people looking alike
    as being racist. It's not. Different races find it difficult to differentiate between individuals from different races. The South Korean football team in the World Cup swapped jerseys while they practiced as they believed spies from other teams wouldn't be able to tell them apart physically. Was there racism going on there?

Now let's look at stereotypes and was the the depiction of the West African stereotype of being involved in beach sales racist. I don't think so. Race is not really an issue here. West Africans have just identified a market and are working it. Asians seem to run all the electronic shops in the Med.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

No, nothing is ever racist and anyone who ever says something is racist is part of the PC brigade and should shut up.

No, nothing is ever racist and anyone who ever says something is racist is part of the PC brigade and should shut up.

No, it seems that everything is now racist. Context has lost all meaning. The actual meaning of the word racism has disappeared. Now it's just millennials getting offended on behalf of other people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement