Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Activities/friend making Carlow town for 60 year old

Options
  • 20-06-2018 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Iv returned to the the land of my youth, Carlow town, after 40 years in Dublin.
    Any suggestions for joining somewhere for activities, meeting people.
    Not computer literate, technology inefficient ..maybe just some female friends.
    Not into drinking scene but ok with social/dancing scene etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Can you jive? Can't offer any advice on Carlow in particular but i do know that there is a huge social dancing scene in my local town? Dances nearly every night of the week if you are willing to travel to neighbouring counties too. It also seems to be a great way to find companionship. I know two widowers who have met partners at dancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Get yourself involved with Carlow Age Friendly Network (one of many quangos in the county) run by CDP (Carlow Development Partnership) perhaps?

If you drive you'll get preferential parking in 13 spots around the town; you simply fill out a form (you can get it in Carlow Library; I recommend you check out their notice board as it happens; very informative regarding educational, cultural events) and they'll send you out a sticker for your car.

Pros're you don't have to prove your' age (they don't ask for proof of date of birth) but the cons're you still have to pay for the space like any other motorist.

Unsure how mobile you are but the Dr. O'Brien Centre at the junction of Greenbanks Rd./Old Dublin Rd. might give you some pointers too.

Into Tennis or Squash? Carlow LTC might be for you esp. @ this time of year.

Cricket? We've Carlow and Bagenalstown Cricket Clubs.

You say you're not computer literate; you've managed to open a Boards account so that's a start; go you!

There's an Adult Learning Centre on Tullow Rd. on L.H.S. past LIDL if you want to improve your computer literacy; all courses're free......I think.

To go back to Carlow Library they do computer courses from basics/beginners up too, generally in the mornings/before lunchtime and again, they're free of charge too.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Also look up or drop into st Catherine’s on the station road, they’re always running courses which maybe suitable. I know they do yoga for older participants which is quite popular. As said previously, the library is a great information point & the staff are extremely helpful I always find.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Be well and win

Have you thought about volunteering, the likes of the SVdeP shop or some of the other charity shops are always looks for help. If you are into singing, the Cathedral has a good choir and a group call Aspiro have an adult choir as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

dennyire wrote: »
    maybe just some female friends.

Whatever you do stay away from the Carlow women. They'll be the ruination of any man.

Or so my father says.

• Advertisement
Advertisement