Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal to be paid in vouchers?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I'd be shocked if there wasn't. You'd never give a random days work to anyone on social welfare and they wouldn't take it up.

Problem is that the state has to then rely on the honesty of the employee to declare the day and not claim SW.
    They did have a casual system (X&O's ?) but the employer had to sign for days worked or unworked
    I'm not referring to employees, it's a once off work.

in tax it's either an employee for whom you deduct tax or a self employed self tax filing contractor.

As an employer you pay net so you would owe the Revenue the employee tax and employer and SW payments plus the fines for non disclosure pre-audit.

If it was payroll only audit they will expand to audit everything, and if the accountant has not been squeeky strict other stuff will be found that has to be explained. You also have an issue that you can't prove that the employee had a legal right to work, not keeping employee records etc so it could get very messy and expensive just on management time loss alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

ED E wrote: »
    OMM 0000 wrote: »
    What kind of employer would do something like that. It makes me wonder what other horrible and incredibly selfish things they are doing.

3rd level institutions do it regularly.

Third level institutions would be in breach of the act if they pay wages by way of vouchers.
    They are allowed to make a non-contractual tax free bonus payment in vouches.

It they have a voucher system for goods or services purchased and provided to an employee, (eg childcare or meals) this is a post tax deduction from gross wage which the employer better have written consent from the employee for.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Danleo171

Thanks for the information from those actually helping, is there any official body I could contact for help on this without going straight to a solicitor?

Danleo171 wrote: »
    All they were told is that they'd be paid for the work they did, the amount of the voucher is the same value as how much money they would have earned

The same as the amount they would have earned, or actually received after paying the taxman?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Danleo171 wrote: »
    Thanks for the information from those actually helping, is there any official body I could contact for help on this without going straight to a solicitor?
    Mandate is the trade union which represents bar staff. They would certainly be interested to know that the pub in question is engaging in this practice. They won't fight your corner, though, if you're not a member, which presumably you're not.

You could check out the website of the Workplace Relations Commission. There's a page there on how to make a complaint, and what happens when you do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

enricoh wrote: »
    Mountain out of a molehill. One4all can be used in hundreds of shops, what's the big deal - it's 2 days work , not the months wages! Drama.

Utter nonsense.

Look at it this way, where can you spend them? A large number of shops, but all places that either sell non-essentials(eg. Woodies) or are overly expensive(eg. super-valu).

If you're in the position where you're picking up odd hours and extra shifts then you need to spend the vast majority of your funds on unprepared food and other essentials. ie. you can't afford to spend your money in the places that accept One4All. If you do spend your money there then you're losing a significant proportion of your earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

Most people of a certain vintage will be aware of the large notice boards in factories and other places of work with details of employment and safety law.

I remember reading on it about the truck act

Advertisement