Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada working Visa insurance

• 21-06-2018 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,
    I have a 2 year Canadian visa but I was just wondering do I have to buy the full 2 years worth of travel insurance before I leave or could I buy one year now and a second year next year, as money is tight?

Also what websites would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭macchoille

adamh765 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a 2 year Canadian visa but I was just wondering do I have to buy the full 2 years worth of travel insurance before I leave or could I buy one year now and a second year next year, as money is tight?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam
    Hi,

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

My stepson is out there now. He just got 3 months of backpackers insurance via the AA (I’m not sure who the underwriter is) as he’s back in college for September.

If you are a student and will be returning to college as far as I remember from the fine print on the 2 year insurance (USIT) , once you are back in Ireland for a certain period (40 days I think) your insurance will expire/no longer be valid.

Also bear in mind that when you land in Canada you are supposed to have insurance to cover your duration. The immigration officer is only obligated to give you a work permit for up to 2 years. If you only have insurance for 1 year you might find you only get a 1 year permit; my stepson did however got a full 2 year visa.

Depending on your exact circumstances you’ll need to way it all up and read the fine print on the insurances and the visa application site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I think you can defo end up getting stung with just a permit the duration of your insurance. When I arrived they didnt check my insurance or funds. It up to the officer to check. So I wouldnt risk it and get it for the 2 years.

I got it for 299 for the 2 years. I think thats the cheapest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
    Adam

C'mon like, don't mess around with the visa and just get the 2 years. The extra cost of 1 vs 2 year is probably not double and you can not extend the visa.

If you have 1 year insurance they are going to give you a 1 year visa and then your gone in 12 months

Save yourself the hassle, don't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 adamh765

I bought the 2 years with Go4Less.ie for 300 euro, its the best decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

do I have to buy the full 2 years worth of travel insurance before I leave
    Yes. Your visa lasts as long as the insurance, and you don't get a chance to extend it by paying for more insurance.

You can get insurance for €300. It'll be worth jack sh|t, but it'll get you into Canada.

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Yes. Your visa lasts as long as the insurance, and you don't get a chance to extend it by paying for more insurance.

You can get insurance for €300. It'll be worth jack sh|t, but it'll get you into Canada.

What do you mean it'll be worth jack sh|t?

If you need urgent medical attention due to a traffic accident, for example, you'll get it.

But read the small print.

From; https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/Vhi%20Canada%20Cover%20Rules_01Nov16_BCRD6.pdf
    Emergency Medical Expenses: This policy is NOT a Private Medical Insurance policy, and does not provide cover for procedures that
    can be carried out in Your country of residence after repatriation or for any medical expenses incurred in private facilities if a medically
    suitable State facility is available. This policy does not provide cover for private medical expenses when You are hospitalised in a state
    run hospital or clinic where EU residents have a right to state provided emergency treatment
    Reasonable medical expenses for the immediate needs of an unforeseen medical emergency. Included
    are Medical Practitioner’s fees, hospital expenses, in-patient and out-patient medical treatment and
    charges for medical transportation to the nearest suitable hospital abroad, when deemed necessary
    by a recognised Medical Practitioner.
    From the way I read it, is that it'll cover "Emergency Medical Expenses", but only enough to allow you to fly back to Ireland.
    In the event of a valid claim under Section 2 (Medical Emergency & Repatriation) or Section 3 (Emergency Dental Treatment), when You are
    admitted to a recognised hospital abroad as an in-patient for more than 24 continuous hours, We will pay You a benefit of €25 per Insured
    Person per complete day of in-patient treatment
    up to a maximum under this policy of €250 per Insured Person.

http://www.david-cummings.com/documents/canadian_hospital_rates.htm
    Here in Toronto, it could be $1,720 a day.

So by "jack sh|t", the €300 will show that you have cover, but if you want full cover, I'm pretty sure you'll need to pay the €2,000 (or was it €3,000?) a year medical insurance up front, before you goto Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

So by "jack sh|t", the €300 will show that you have cover, but if you want full cover, I'm pretty sure you'll need to pay the €2,000 (or was it €3,000?) a year medical insurance up front, before you goto Canada.

Once you are resident in Canada, you are entitled to healthcare through the provincial system of whatever province you are resident in - subject to a waiting period but not more than 90 days. If you are resident in BC (for example) it's actually mandatory to register with and pay for MSP (not sure what the rules are in Ontario). This means that aside from the waiting period you are generally fully covered for most day-to-day care (again it varies by province) so there's no need to get the full cover.

If you need urgent medical attention due to a traffic accident, for example, you'll get it.

From; https://www.vhi.ie/pdf/products/Vhi%20Canada%20Cover%20Rules_01Nov16_BCRD6.pdf

From the way I read it, is that it'll cover "Emergency Medical Expenses", but only enough to allow you to fly back to Ireland.

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm just glad it covers A&E as I don't plan on having any elective surgery but I do find myself in an emergency room about once a year :pac:

As long as it covers a trip to the A&E for minor breaks etc I'd think it's pretty valuable.

• Advertisement

Once you are resident in Canada, you are entitled to healthcare through the provincial system of whatever province you are resident in - subject to a waiting period but not more than 90 days. If you are resident in BC (for example) it's actually mandatory to register with and pay for MSP (not sure what the rules are in Ontario). This means that aside from the waiting period you are generally fully covered for most day-to-day care (again it varies by province) so there's no need to get the full cover.
    In Ontario, you get OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) after a three months of work, if the job will say that they'll employ you until you leave. Some jobs, however, will not write that, as it could be seen as a contract should they try to fire you. Fun times.

Advertisement