Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannondale cadd 12 105

Options
  • 21-06-2018 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Very close to pulling the trigger on one of these as my commuter/ winter bike. I just wanted to see if anyone on here can give some real world experiences of owning one in Ireland, cycling in all weather's and is the bb30a as bad as some say? I love the look of the cadd but I need a reliable work horse. Would love to get some feedback from Irish owners. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Me personally I wouldn't buy another BB30/pressfit bike again. The creaking in my Roubaix is doing my head in that much that I have changed onto my Genesis.

Its highly rated as a bike though and won bike of the year a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Borderfox wrote: »
    Me personally I wouldn't buy another BB30/pressfit bike again. The creaking in my Roubaix is doing my head in that much that I have changed onto my Genesis.

Its highly rated as a bike though and won bike of the year a few times

Sound. I have been having second thoughts alright . Have had bb30 issues on a Boardman but I thought the issues may not be as evident on cannondale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

denbatt wrote: »
    Sound. I have been having second thoughts alright . Have had bb30 issues on a Boardman but I thought the issues may not be as evident on cannondale
    I have been using my CAAD10 for years. The only helping solution I found to the BB30 issue was a top quality bearing set. A standard set does not last in any kind of wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

It seems to be a pressfit issue and not just simply a BB30 or Cannondale issue.
    I bought a Caad 12 105 a few months ago and its a brilliant bike but it has started to creak when out of the saddle.
    I've started the process of switching over to Shimano cranks so hopefully that solves the problem.
    Here is a thread i started recently which may help you.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057881325

Seweryn wrote: »
    I have been using my CAAD10 for years. The only helping solution I found to the BB30 issue was a top quality bearing set. A standard set does not last in any kind of wet weather.

Any recommendations? I know I will love to ride quality but could not be dealing with bb30 issues as I will be riding all weather's.

• Advertisement

It seems to be a pressfit issue and not just simply a BB30 or Cannondale issue.
    I bought a Caad 12 105 a few months ago and its a brilliant bike but it has started to creak when out of the saddle.
    I've started the process of switching over to Shimano cranks so hopefully that solves the problem.
    Here is a thread i started recently which may help you.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057881325

Hope better bearings will solve such an issue if it arises. Don't want to go don't the new crank route really. May just have to consider a different bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

seems an odd choice for a commuter bike - it's a very racy geometry and (i think) is limiting when it comes to attaching mudguards.

I went down the road to change to a Rotor bb30-24mm bottom bracket (not cheap at €70) and it still creaked!!

Any future bike/frame purchases will be governed by BB type

denbatt wrote: »
    Any recommendations? I know I will love to ride quality but could not be dealing with bb30 issues as I will be riding all weather's.
    I would only recommend the LLU series bearings made by NTN. Tried most of the top quality bearings, but only these have reasonably good water proofing. They Should last 10 - 20k km with a bit of luck.

seems an odd choice for a commuter bike - it's a very racy geometry and (i think) is limiting when it comes to attaching mudguards.

Well I like the flat TT geometry personally. Also want it as a winter trainer or bad weather racer. So felt the cadd ticked the boxes really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

SKS mudguards will take care of that

CramCycle wrote: »
    SKS mudguards will take care of that

Or crud guards. Had them on an old commuter for years.

regarding an alternative bike its getting harder to source one without a pressfit bb, whats the budget?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULTR8000/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-r8000-road-bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Two others worth considering are the Bowman Palace:R and the Kinesis Racelight Aithein Evo, both come with BSA BB's as standard and are highly regarded alu frames on par with the Caad10/12. I've had a PX Pro Carbon in the past and it's not within an asses roar of a Caad10 to ride.

I've a Caad10 that I use as a full time winter commuter/trainer/occasional open race bike. Absolutely love it. They're a phenomenal frame to ride. And the 12 apparently made the ride marginally more compliant. I converted my Caad10 to a threaded BB shell. Couldn't be dealing with BB30 creaks. It's not as easily done on the 12 due to the internal cabling.

Borderfox wrote: »
    regarding an alternative bike its getting harder to source one without a pressfit bb, whats the budget?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLPULTR8000/planet-x-pro-carbon-shimano-ultegra-r8000-road-bike

Yes very. I am using a bike to work for a Lbs and some cash so will just have to see what other options I have with that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Plastik wrote: »

I've a Caad10 that I use as a full time winter commuter/trainer/occasional open race bike. Absolutely love it. They're a phenomenal frame to ride. And the 12 apparently made the ride marginally more compliant..

I done the Evil last week on my Caad 12 and some of those roads as you know are in bits. The bike ate up the course compared to my previous bikes i've used on it.

OP, i've no regrets about getting the Caad 12 even with the creaking. I'm sure ill find a way around it. I only paid 1150 for it from Germany for last years model so i don't feel as bad as i would have if i had paid the 1669 i believe they are here for this years model.

CCS in Tallaght is usually the place to go when buying here and as its under warranty from them, i think i recall hearing that they will replace the bearings if their is an issue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Are pressfits really that bad. I know on Carbon bikes they are a pain but I have one on my alu bike that I fitted myself that makes no noise at all. Its a Shimano BB72.

Are pressfits really that bad. I know on Carbon bikes they are a pain but I have one on my alu bike that I fitted myself that makes no noise at all. Its a Shimano BB72.

Previous bike was bb86 and had zero problems with them but the Specialized Roubaix I have is BB30 and its melting my head.

It is not about the BB being noisy. It is the durability of poorly designed bottom bracket when the frame gets filled with water and the bearings are not weather sealed. They do not last long. The noise is just a side effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Ive a Supersix Hi-mod and haven't had the creaky BB issue - its the one job i have the lbs do. using rotor BB

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    It is not about the BB being noisy. It is the durability of poorly designed bottom bracket when the frame gets filled with water and the bearings are not weather sealed. They do not last long. The noise is just a side effect.

It's about both, but more often than not it's about one or other, or a combination of both, of poor manufacturer tolerances during frame production and poor manufacturer tolerances during bearing production. The noise is, generally, from the outer casing of the bearing walking in the BB shell, as opposed to the actual bearings being ruined - though that's not to say that isn't something that can also cause creaks.

It's about both, but more often than not it's about one or other, or a combination of both, of poor manufacturer tolerances during frame production and poor manufacturer tolerances during bearing production. The noise is, generally, from the outer casing of the bearing walking in the BB shell, as opposed to the actual bearings being ruined - though that's not to say that isn't something that can also cause creaks.
    I have never experienced bearing / BB shell tolerance issue. Ever since I started replacing the BB30 bearings I always applied the retaining compound to prevent this problem. I wouldn't risk pressing in bearings without the compound. If the bearing seizes, it may damage your frame, but with the retaining compound your crank spindle will get damaged, which is easier and cheaper to replace (happened to me last year actually...).

Thanks for the feedback lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Two others worth considering are the Bowman Palace:R and the Kinesis Racelight Aithein Evo, both come with BSA BB's as standard and are highly regarded alu frames on par with the Caad10/12. I've had a PX Pro Carbon in the past and it's not within an asses roar of a Caad10 to ride.

I've a Caad10 that I use as a full time winter commuter/trainer/occasional open race bike. Absolutely love it. They're a phenomenal frame to ride. And the 12 apparently made the ride marginally more compliant. I converted my Caad10 to a threaded BB shell. Couldn't be dealing with BB30 creaks. It's not as easily done on the 12 due to the internal cabling.

Aithein nor Bowman take 28 tyres as Caad12 do.
    Caad 12 is not marginally better than Caad10. Is far more compliant than caad10 and if you take on account 28c tyres is a different beast. Geometry altrough racy is more relaxed than caad10 as well. Through all my pressfit bikes i had only Cannondale SSEVO12 had problems with creaking bb and Trek Madone 5.9 had extended bb. Other than that i was quite happy with pressfit.

Altrough caad12 is a great bike i think is to fragile to be used as workhorse. Its purpose is racing or fast paced spins.That paper thin frame are very prone damage and lets be honest bb30 is not best standard for shiat weather either.

My vote goes to Genesis Equilibrum. Cheap and does the job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for what you get, equilibriums don't strike me as the cheap option!

for what you get, equilibriums don't strike me as the cheap option!

Whatever is cheap for me don`t have to mean cheap for others and vice versa.

Edit: If you spend some time searching internet i am sure you can find great examples not only on Genesis site.

28's aren't the be-all and end-all of road riding and I certainly wouldn't let the fact that the Bowman or Kinesis can't take them be a deciding factor. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good 25 paired to a suitable wheel. There are some pictures on this thread on Weightweenies of the clearances on a Palace:R running 27's.

I would be buying a Caad10, Caad12, Palace:R, or Aithein before an Equilibrium if I was spending my own money.

28's aren't the be-all and end-all of road riding and I certainly wouldn't let the fact that the Bowman or Kinesis can't take them be a deciding factor. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good 25 paired to a suitable wheel. There are some pictures on this thread on Weightweenies of the clearances on a Palace:R running 27's.

I would be buying a Caad10, Caad12, Palace:R, or Aithein before an Equilibrium if I was spending my own money.

Had Bowman Palace R and Aithein. Continental 25c on 18ertro rim have over 28c. Forget on both let alone 28c Conti which measure about 31mm.
    It is a big difference especially on winter time and once you try it you will be know what im talking about. Second hand caad10 u can buy for about 800e how is it comparable to second hand Genesis which you can buy for 500e? Bowman, Aithein and Caad10 will struggle with mudguards once 25c will be on as well.

Bikes you`ve mention are really great bikes (didn`t liked Aithein really) but for winter workhorse neither are suitable in my opinion.

OK. I don't particularly care where this is going. Whether the bikes are any good or not is just your opinion. Mine is that they are perfectly suitable as a winter workhorse depending on what you are looking for in a bike and what compromises you are willing to accept.

I buy my bikes based on geometry and fit. Whether they will take tyres above a certain size and mudguard clearance are secondary to me. I am quite willing to accept the compromise of the reduced coverage of Raceblades for a bike with aggressive race geometry that I can ride all year round. I want to be able to get in the same position on my training bike as I do on my race bike.

I run 25's on a Caad10 with Raceblades throughout the winter with no problem whatsoever. I've run Conti 28's extensively on a Ribble R872 in the past commuting. The 28's are more comfortable, are the 25's vastly inferior - they're not.

• Advertisement

OK. I don't particularly care where this is going. Whether the bikes are any good or not is just your opinion. Mine is that they are perfectly suitable as a winter workhorse depending on what you are looking for in a bike and what compromises you are willing to accept.

I buy my bikes based on geometry and fit. Whether they will take tyres above a certain size and mudguard clearance are secondary to me. I am quite willing to accept the compromise of the reduced clearance of Raceblades for a bike with aggressive race geometry that I can ride all year round. I want to be able to get in the same position on my training bike as I do on my race bike.

I run 25's on a Caad10 with Raceblades throughout the winter with no problem whatsoever. I've run Conti 28's extensively on a Ribble R872 in the past commuting. The 28's are more comfortable, are the 25's vastly inferior - they're not.

Me either...
    For me 28c tyres with clearance for mudguards and disc brakes > anything else for winter bike. Checked in practice sometimes painfully for the wallet.

Advertisement