Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to look for property with friends?

Options
  • 21-06-2018 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hi, me and two of my friends are currently living in a house.
    Initially - I rented a room in that house and moved in, lived there for a year then other people moved out and my friends wanted to move in.

Now the 3 of us live in house and it's all good but house is being sold so we will be looking for different place.

Any recommendations how to search for property (house/apartment) for 3 people, would most landlords have issue with moving in 2 different parties? (I am on my own, my friends are together).

We're 24, 25, 25 and we all work full time jobs in IT Sector.

Also - is our price range realistic?

1600-1700 Eur for 2 Bedroom Apartment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

What location? Budget seems fine for all but the most expensive areas of Dublin, not sure if 2 beds in any other cities have reached that level yet.

Mad money though I've a mortgage on a 3 bed in Dublin bought in 2010 which isn't much more than you're proposing to pay for your share. But that's the reality today I suppose

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Look on www.daft.ie Check prices of apartmentsd of apartments/houses within your budget. Contact landlord/letting agent if any suitable rentals are advertised. Explain your background, when you are ready to move and seek a viewing. If going to a viewing be prepared with deposits, passport photos, landlord and employer references. Wear suitable clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

What location? Budget seems fine for all but the most expensive areas of Dublin, not sure if 2 beds in any other cities have reached that level yet.

Mad money though I've a mortgage on a 3 bed in Dublin bought in 2010 which isn't much more than you're proposing to pay for your share. But that's the reality today I suppose

Not really sure of Area yet, most likely West Side of Dublin as one of us works in City Centre, one works in North Side and I work in South Side.
    Maybe Blanchardstown/Lucan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...in Sandyford but the lease is in place for a few years with changes of personnel in the meantime.

The company were happy to change names on the lease over time without much rises as far as I know.

The ability to buy a house now depends on the ability of people to save like mad to get the 20% deposit required for most houses in Dublin this can be €80-90 grand.

I know quite a few tenants who cannot afford to move into a bought house and have approval and wages to manage a biggish mortgage but cannot raise the 20% deposit required for the initial downpayment for non first timers. It is not a good place to be but the banks won't move on the deposit requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hi, me and two of my friends are currently living in a house.
    Initially - I rented a room in that house and moved in, lived there for a year then other people moved out and my friends wanted to move in.

Now the 3 of us live in house and it's all good but house is being sold so we will be looking for different place.

Any recommendations how to search for property (house/apartment) for 3 people, would most landlords have issue with moving in 2 different parties? (I am on my own, my friends are together).
    All other things being equal, landlords who are offering a house to rent will tend to prefer an arrangement by which somebody (or, better still, everybody) is responsible for the rent on the entire house, rather than an arrangement where (say) A is resonsible for 40%, and B & C jointly responsible for the other 60%.

So I think your chances will be improved if you rent on the basis that A rents the entire house, and sublets to B & C, or A, B and C jointly rent the entire house. How you divide up the rent between the three of you is not something the landlord needs or wants to be involved in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Peregrinus wrote: »
    All other things being equal, landlords who are offering a house to rent will tend to prefer an arrangement by which somebody (or, better still, everybody) is responsible for the rent on the entire house, rather than an arrangement where (say) A is resonsible for 40%, and B & C jointly responsible for the other 60%.

So I think your chances will be improved if you rent on the basis that A rents the entire house, and sublets to B & C, or A, B and C jointly rent the entire house. How you divide up the rent between the three of you is not something the landlord needs or wants to be involved in.

Yes that's the plan anyway, rent would be paid from my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Your best not to mention about the single/couple, just say three people are looking to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Your best not to mention about the single/couple, just say three people are looking to rent.

Its 2 bed apt op is talking about. Obviously 2 people will sleep in one of the bedrooms.

Advertisement