Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rochestown Park Hotel

Options
  • 21-06-2018 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭

Why is it nowhere near Rochestown?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's on the Rochestown Road.
    Rochestown doesn't have a village or centre. Where do you consider Rochestown to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The address is Rochestown Road, Douglas. Not really the same thing as Rochestown.

Most places are measured from post offices, so let's assume Rochestown 'centre', if you want to call it that, is where the old post office used to be.

The address is Rochestown Road, Douglas. Not really the same thing as Rochestown.

Most places are measured from post offices, so let's assume Rochestown 'centre', if you want to call it that, is where the old post office used to be.

Where was the post office in Rochestown?

The Rochestown Inn. Looks like it was incorporated into it or demolished and the inn extended.

The Rochestown Inn. Looks like it was incorporated into it or demolished and the inn extended.
    Certainly not in the last 40 or so years.

Post Office aside, you could argue that that junction is the closest to a Rochestown "centre", alright. It was where the Rochestown train station was.
    I think it's more of a stretched out subburb now, though.

Still, I think being on the Rochestown Road is reason enough to use it in the Hotel name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

AFAIK Rochestown itself starts at the junction of Rochestown Road and Coach Hill. There is a sign there signifying the start of the townland (see it on Google Maps). So yeah the hotel is not in Rochestown...but then again the English Market isn't in England either.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭dunleakelleher

Why is it nowhere near Rochestown?

I believe the house was originally known as Rochestown House
    when the religious order owned it.

I believe the house was originally known as Rochestown House
    when the religious order owned it.

Kilteegan house, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Why is it called Douglas when it's nowhere near the Isle of Man?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Plenty of houses in Ballincollig that have an address in Ovens.

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    Plenty of houses in Ballincollig that have an address in Ovens.

Was wondering if the RPH was a snobbery thing as well, like Togher/Wilton.

Advertisement