Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public vs Private job

Options
  • 21-06-2018 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,887 ✭✭✭✭

I have been working in the public service for about the last 12 years (before that worked in private sector for about 3 years).
    All in IT in a few different areas and organizations.
    Generally really like role at the minute, flexitime and annual leave are good as well.

I have been offered a few private jobs but not been tempted enough to take them...but seriously tempted by this one, its in field I know really well and enjoy working in, my CV was a spot on fit for role profile.

On the plus side

It would be a slightly easier commute (maybe about 20 minutes less each way) and it would be an extra 10-15k by looks of it, and it might be nice to have a new challenge as been here 3 years.

On the minus side
    I wouldnt have flexitime (which is very handy with a dog), I would also not get the same amount of annual leave.

So really torn about what to do....any advice would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What's more important to you - money or having more of a life?

In my current job I can work whatever hours I want. I know I could get a lot more money if I moved to a larger corporation. But quality of life is more important to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

gmisk wrote: »

On the minus side
    I wouldnt have flexitime (which is very handy with a dog), I would also not get the same amount of annual leave.

So really torn about what to do....any advice would be welcomed.

The improved commute and remuneration are big pluses.
    How much leave will you lose?
    Any chance of work-from-home days here and there to make up for the loss of flexi?
    Does pension factor into your considerations?

Advertisement