Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You fill in Holes in Bike Tyres?

Options
  • 21-06-2018 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got those Schwalbe Marathon Smart Guard Plus tyres that someone here recommended – they are brilliant, finally stopped getting loads of punctures in Dublin.

But I noticed that there are a fair few nicks and holes in the outside of the tyres now, presumably from glass etc. Still no punctures which is great, but I’m just wondering if I should be filling in the holes with some glue or something? Some of them are big enough that small stones get stuck in them.

People online were saying to use Superglue but then others said Superglue was a bad idea. What’s the story?

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I never fill them. And I've had some relatively large marks/holes in my Marathons. It's never caused me issue and I cover a lot of mileage. Not sure what harm it would do at the same time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭May Contain Small Parts

I don't fill them and I'm not sure you could.

I will regularly check the holes to make sure that no bits of glass are stuck down at the bottom of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I used to use superglue, then got lazy and figured laziness was also compatible with a recommendation I saw on here not to use it, on the basis that superglue dries to a hard finish, so either it will fall out as the tyre flexes or (worse!) you'll find you've in essence put a perfectly shaped sharp object directly against the an inner layer of your tyre....... I'll let you conclude why that might be undesirable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I put Tec7 in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you're using Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, I wouldn't worry about the holes. I put 22,000kms on a pair. They are riddled with holes, nicks, tears etc. but they never let me down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I fill them with loctite rubber glue and usually stick a repair patch on the inside.

Advertisement