Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it safe to give out my IBAN & BIC

Options
  • 21-06-2018 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi
    Is it safe to give out my IBAN & BIC?
    I give them out to "trusted" customers but an employee of theirs could get it.

It occurs to me that someone can only lodge money to my account with the information, but to make a payment they need a signature/login.

Bill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

bappelbe wrote: »
    Hi
    Is it safe to give out my IBAN & BIC?
    I give them out to "trusted" customers but an employee of theirs could get it.

It occurs to me that someone can only lodge money to my account with the information, but to make a payment they need a signature/login.

Bill

Thanks bappelbe for getting in touch with us.

While customers from time to time will need to provide their IBAN and BIC for payments or direct debits etc. we would always advise first to ensure it's a reputable third party you are disclosing the information to. 

We always advise to be cautious sharing any bank details, you would need to make a personal decision on this whether to share the details with them.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

While customers from time to time will need to provide their IBAN and BIC for payments or direct debits etc. we would always advise first to ensure it's a reputable third party you are disclosing the information to. 

We always advise to be cautious sharing any bank details, you would need to make a personal decision on this whether to share the details with them.

Many Thanks
    Alison

Hi
    If the banks want us to go to  electronic banking sooner rather than later, they should come up with a way of is giving a number or code that can only be used for lodging to an account an is safe to give out as nobody could withdraw using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

bappelbe wrote: »

Many Thanks
    Alison

Hi
    If the banks want us to go to  electronic banking sooner rather than later, they should come up with a way of is giving a number or code that can only be used for lodging to an account an is safe to give out as nobody could withdraw using it.

Thanks for coming back to us here and for the feedback. I'll certainly take note of it here.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Advertisement