Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tis the season of moths again

• 21-06-2018 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Should you feel quilty if you kill them? I spotted some holes in my Tommy Hilfiger jumper and went into a silent rage and killed two of them. Clapping them between my powerful hands. Pangs of remorse now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Ehmergawd Yes.

I was thinking to start a thread on this too.

Annoying little bastards, loads of the them.

If theres one creature on earth thats drunk or on an lsd trip its moths. No logic to them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dont mind moths.

Its those big noisy blue bottle flies that wreck the head.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

My cat catches them for me. Talk about a life saver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Edz87 wrote: »

My Dachshund hates flies, moths, bees and basically anything small and buzzy. :D

They get snapped up pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

We’re inundated. :( And they’re those ones where the larvae come in a little capsule. Bleurgh.

Any tips for getting rid of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I had two of them in my bedroom. I hate killing them, so I let them live.

Next day I came home from work and there was 9 of them flying around. They had to go.

That was last week.

Last night I had to kill another 8 and then other 2 came out of nowhere when I was going to bed.

Where can I buy some mothtraps? Our house seems to be full of moths at the moment, the other housemates get them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Edz87 wrote: »

Oh you stole my post!lol!

Nearly lost a cat once when he swallowed a wasp... driving 30 miles to a vet with a screaming cat rolling in agony... Take care!

Next day I came home from work and there was 9 of them flying around. They had to go.

That was last week.

Last night I had to kill another 8 and then other 2 came out of nowhere when I was going to bed.

Where can I buy some mothtraps? Our house seems to be full of moths at the moment, the other housemates get them too.

They are hatching. Nests... no traps for these so just have to grit your teeth,

Rarely any here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

_Dara_ wrote: »
    We’re inundated. :( And they’re those ones where the larvae come in a little capsule. Bleurgh.

Same in our house. Nightmare. I've bought traps, powders, sprays and whatnot and can't get rid of them. Thinking getting the place fumigated is the only way at this point.

That was last week.

Thing is, it's not the ones you can see that are the problem, they only last a few days and die, it's the larvae that will destroy the clothes and carpets. Have a look under the beds and you'll probably find loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think they hate juniper or something like that.

Thank goodness it’s not just me. I thought they were my secret shame, and a sign of my lax housekeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Best way to kill them is with one of those electric racket fly-swatters.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zap-Bug-Zapper-Rechargeable-Super-Bright/dp/B076CC8YC4/

No residue on the walls then.. worst thing about killing moths is the puff of dust they leave behind :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

D3V!L wrote: »
    My Dachshund hates flies, moths, bees and basically anything small and buzzy. :D

They get snapped up pretty quickly.

all fun and games till he gets a wasp :(

fullstop wrote: »
    Same in our house. Nightmare. I've bought traps, powders, sprays and whatnot and can't get rid of them. Thinking getting the place fumigated is the only way at this point.

Apparently they make the capsules using human hair and dust. So keeping on top of hoovering up hair and dust bunnies has been helping us a bit. And killing any moths that we see. They’re little farts of things so easy enough to kill. I also find that they tend just to be a summer problem.

Still though, they are damn difficult to completely eradicate. We’re considering fumigation too. :(

kylith wrote: »
    I think they hate juniper or something like that.

I'm not really the only one here old enough to know what these are no?

am i?

what-are-mothballs-600x250-ck_600_250_90.jpg

https://www.google.ie/search?q=mothballs&rlz=1C1CHBF_enIE787IE787&oq=mothballs&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1476j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thing is, it's not the ones you can see that are the problem, they only last a few days and die, it's the larvae that will destroy the clothes and carpets. Have a look under the beds and you'll probably find loads.

Thank you. That's me not sleeping for the rest of my life. :pac:

Apparently they make the capsules using human hair and dust. So keeping on top of hoovering up hair and dust bunnies has been helping us a bit. And killing any moths that we see. They’re little farts of things so easy enough to kill. I also find that they tend just to be a summer problem.

Still though, they are damn difficult to completely eradicate. We’re considering fumigation too. :(
    Yeah I keep on top of it in the common areas and regularly vacuum under the bed etc but it's not much use when housemates don't bother. Got one of them to move their bed a few weeks ago and there were dozens crawling around under there.
    They always seem to disappear or go into some sort of hibernation in the winter. Got the carpets steam cleaned this winter to try to get rid of them for good but no such luck.

wexie wrote: »

They don't work!

They don't work!

:confused:

maybe it's for a different kind of moth?

We used to have them in the closets when I was younger and seemed to do the trick.

We don't have any moths here at all. Mind, I'd be nearly tempted to say I'd trade them for the blasted flies that we do have :(

:confused:

maybe it's for a different kind of moth?

We used to have them in the closets when I was younger and seemed to do the trick.

We don't have any moths here at all. Mind, I'd be nearly tempted to say I'd trade them for the blasted flies that we do have :(
    Yeah we did too and never had moths but whatever ones we have now just won't shift.

• Advertisement

I wonder if this is nature's punishment for killing that big spider three weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I keep a sock next to the computer at home for swatting them during evening viewing.

I wonder if this is nature's punishment for killing that big spider three weeks ago.

Surely that would just have been a much bigger spider?

Surely that would just have been a much bigger spider?

No, you see, that big spider already was a the bigger spider as a revenge for killing that smaller spider. It's complicated.

Thinking of investing in this cute pink mosquito-net PJs...

7cf5fa303f9621bd64619fef1743d0cb.jpg

No, you see, that big spider already was a the bigger spider as a revenge for killing that smaller spider. It's complicated.

If that's how it works where you live you should probably stop killing spiders :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I try not to kill them. When I see one flying around I try to catch it in my hand and release it out the window. Often I end up accidentally grabbing him too hard though and crushing him. If one is on the wall I grab a glass and a piece of cardboard and catch it and release it.

It's the eggs that damage your clothes. I think they only hatch after you've washed your clothes (something to do with the heat of the water). Try leaving your clothes out in the sun for a few hours before you wash them. The sunlight should stop the eggs hatching. They supposedly hate lavender too so hang some kind of lavender air freshener thing in your wardrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

815sW26IrBL._SL1500_.jpg

These work very well for me. I've been able to bring infestation and carpet destruction to next to nil by using these. Highly recommended.

Only had a couple here.This dwelling had been closed up for five years when I arrived last autumn and no entry point as there is a solid fuel stove. Very little insect life thankfully .

Cedar oil works they say. And there are always old fashioned mothballs..

all fun and games till he gets a wasp :(

yep. Been there with a cat ... not a pretty sight.

• Advertisement

Thinking of investing in this cute pink mosquito-net PJs...

7cf5fa303f9621bd64619fef1743d0cb.jpg

Fine until you need the loo.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Get some lavender essential oil and stick in in a diffuser, moths hate it. Won’t kill them, but they won’t nest anywhere near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Hagar7

Uh!!! Surely with the World Cup being in Russia then you'd expect them to be heading over to Mothgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

one landed on my daughters backpack this morning, looked exactly like a brown leaf from the tree.

wouldn't get off the bag though. gentle shaking didn't do it.
    had to get the keys out to encourage him off it.

eventually he moved, i like to think he was ok......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I love a good moth, the more the merrier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

We’re inundated. :(

Football sock with a few batteries inside. That should sort the critters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Blaas4life

On first look...I taught this was gonna be about young wans or session moths out and about in the sun :-/

Good weather brings em out <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I spotted some holes in my Tommy Hilfiger jumper

Silver lining right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Have had moths, flies and even a few spiders in the house recently. Could open an insect zoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

tumblr_nlj2iqXYCj1qb6v6ro1_1280.gif

Billy86 wrote: »
    tumblr_nlj2iqXYCj1qb6v6ro1_1280.gif

Thanks y’all for your suggestions but Billy86 has just blown you all out of the water. Clearly the most sensible solution.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Very few around recently, they have been killed off along with the daddy long legs and bees by chemicals farmers use on their lands but we can't talk about that, similar to the impact diesel cars have on killing off humans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thanks y’all for your suggestions but Billy86 has just blown you all out of the water. Clearly the most sensible solution.

:pac:

And with the weather we're due next week, you won't even miss the gaff one bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

We have a cat. Watching her chase a moth around the place trying to kill it is hilarious. Saves us the hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I wouldn't normally consider killing anything that can't physically hurt you, but moths are a massive pain when they lay their larvae on carpets/rugs (and disgusting too)

We have a very stupid, heavy bed frame* in our rental. We pulled it out today and oh my god. Current larval capsules and husks of capsules everywhere. :( Well, at least we’re some way towards solving the problem.

*big bed frames need to die in a fire. They’re heavy, they take up way too much room, they’re awkward to move for cleaning purposes. Hate them. You should be able to move a bed using just your legs.

Advertisement