Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House rewired, best way to take advantage

• 21-06-2018 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for feedback and advice on how to optimise my wiring.

My house is in the middle of being rewired. It's almost done but I've put in CAT6a cable around the house (Living room behind TV, bedroom, office).

So currently I have 2 ports on the wall in each place, except behind the TV, where I have 4 wall points. The internet comes in the wall here as well, hence the extra ports.

Each port is wired back to under the stairs, where there is 10 cables in total. My plan is to use port 4 behind the TV (I'll put a sticker over it for reference) and use that as the WAN from the UPC modem. In other words, wall -> UPC modem -> port 4 -> under the stairs. My TV will then use port 1 for internet, instead of cabling directly into the UPC modem. This obviously means I'll have to have it all connected up under the stairs.

So now I'm wondering what to actually put under the stairs. Nothing is bought yet. I'm thinking of just buying a wifi router and putting it under there (there's a 2 gang power socket) and putting the WAN from port 4 directly into the WAN port on the wifi router. Although any wifi routers i've looked at only have 4 ethernet ports, so that means there'll be 5 cables unattached.

The other option is a gigabit switch. Preferably capable of CAT6a speeds, then i'll go wall -> UPC modem -> port 4 -> under stairs -> ???.
    Would I go into the switch first and then the wifi router? or wifi router first and then switch?

I've also been thinking about getting a Tinker Board S running nginx and configuring that to handle all traffic (so i can remotely connect to a potential future NAS), but i'll need to plug that into the wifi router and enable port forwarding, which isn't a major problem.

As of yet, nothing is bought. The wires are in but haven't even been terminated.
    How can I best take advantage of this setup? Is there anything I should change while the electrician is still in? Cat6a, i believe, can potentially carry power. Anything I need to consider in this regard, eg grounding?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for feedback and advice on how to optimise my wiring.

My house is in the middle of being rewired. It's almost done but I've put in CAT6a cable around the house (Living room behind TV, bedroom, office).

So currently I have 2 ports on the wall in each place, except behind the TV, where I have 4 wall points. The internet comes in the wall here as well, hence the extra ports.

Each port is wired back to under the stairs, where there is 10 cables in total. My plan is to use port 4 behind the TV (I'll put a sticker over it for reference) and use that as the WAN from the UPC modem. In other words, wall -> UPC modem -> port 4 -> under the stairs. My TV will then use port 1 for internet, instead of cabling directly into the UPC modem. This obviously means I'll have to have it all connected up under the stairs.

So now I'm wondering what to actually put under the stairs. Nothing is bought yet. I'm thinking of just buying a wifi router and putting it under there (there's a 2 gang power socket) and putting the WAN from port 4 directly into the WAN port on the wifi router. Although any wifi routers i've looked at only have 4 ethernet ports, so that means there'll be 5 cables unattached.

The other option is a gigabit switch. Preferably capable of CAT6a speeds, then i'll go wall -> UPC modem -> port 4 -> under stairs -> ???.
    Would I go into the switch first and then the wifi router? or wifi router first and then switch?

I've also been thinking about getting a Tinker Board S running nginx and configuring that to handle all traffic (so i can remotely connect to a potential future NAS), but i'll need to plug that into the wifi router and enable port forwarding, which isn't a major problem.

As of yet, nothing is bought. The wires are in but haven't even been terminated.
    How can I best take advantage of this setup? Is there anything I should change while the electrician is still in? Cat6a, i believe, can potentially carry power. Anything I need to consider in this regard, eg grounding?

Thanks.

For under the stairs you need a gigabit switch. I think 16 port is what you want as 10 or 12 port may be hard to find. You can terminate the 10 cables with RJ-45 connectors and plug straight into the switch or you could terminate the 10 cables on a patch panel and use short cables from the panel to the switch. Both the switch and the patch panel could be mounted on a small rack. This might look neater but obviously is more expensive as you need to buy the panel and the rack.

I'm not sure about putting a WiFi devce under the stairs. It doesn't seem like you'd have great coverage from there but you know your house better than me. The advantage of having lots of ethernet jacks all around you home is you could connect the WiFi device to any of them to improve coverage where it is poor.

All Ethernet can carry limited DC power (not mains). Once the cable is of a high quality I don't believe you need to take any specific actions regarding grounding.

Edit:

Is your Cat6A cable shielded i.e. does it have foil in it? If so I believe you need to use connectors suitable for shielded cable. You can see an image of the different types of Cat6A if you scroll down here:

http://wbtnetworks.com.au/what-is-the-real-difference-between-cat6-and-cat6a/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

It's U/UTP cable. I wasn't aware there was different connectors for shielded cables. I've bought them already so hopefully I got the right ones.

So the cables support 10gig. Is there any sign of network cards that support that speeds hitting mainstream yet?
    Like a gigabit switch will do for now and I can upgrade ina few years but I'm thinking it'll actually be more than a few years before consumer hardware reaches that point.

I didn't get coax anywhere in the house so I'm gambling on IPTV becoming the norm in the future, with ethernet ports replacing coax ports in houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The_B_Man wrote: »
    It's U/UTP cable. I wasn't aware there was different connectors for shielded cables. I've bought them already so hopefully I got the right ones.

So the cables support 10gig. Is there any sign of network cards that support that speeds hitting mainstream yet?
    Like a gigabit switch will do for now and I can upgrade ina few years but I'm thinking it'll actually be more than a few years before consumer hardware reaches that point.

I didn't get coax anywhere in the house so I'm gambling on IPTV becoming the norm in the future, with ethernet ports replacing coax ports in houses.

Are the connectors you purchased metal? If so they are probably for shielded cable and I would not use them. If they are plastic, apart from the pins obviously, you should be fine.

The network cards are available but are not exactly cheap. I'd agree with you about the 10Gb adoption. I don't think the consumer need is there but it is always dangerous making predictions about technology!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_ime_i_10_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=10gbe+network+card&sprefix=10gb%2Caps%2C153&crid=1N7FD307YSFTA&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A10gbe+network+card

edit:

Actually there is an Asus card for £86 which I suppose is not too bad

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-XG-C100C-Network-Adapter-Multi-Colour/dp/B071JR2ZW8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I expect by the time the 1Gb LANs are obsolete that we will be fitting fibre networks in the home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I expect by the time the 1Gb LANs are obsolete that we will be fitting fibre networks in the home.

Not going to happen, copper is too easy to install.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I’d actually run flexible duct (as is common in continental wiring) back to a central point. This is very easy to do if you’re in a new build and the walls haven’t been constructed yet. It’s like rolls of hose pipe similar looking to washing machine drain hose.

Then just run the best CAT6 down those.

The reason I would suggest flexible ducts is it future proofs you. Technology moves on and we could be using better cable or even plastic fibers in a decade’s time for LAN.

Also run plenty of cable for things like speaker systems and give yourself more than just one run to rooms like offices as you might want to connect network printers, VoIP phones, sound system components, you name it.

Also don’t forget to install plenty of satellite grade coax to key points as it’s sfill very useful to be able to get RF signals to TVs and boxes and you’ll need two lines to each point of you want to use Sky+ like devices with multiple tuners. Or if you want to access continental satellites easily.

If you’ve access to the structure of the house and can install wiring without having to drill paster - go to town on it. It’s relatively cheap.

Not going to happen, copper is too easy to install.

For now!

With the right equipment, fiber is easier as you don’t have to terminate multiple cores.

Fiber may well become extremely simple with the use of polymers and better, cheaper splicing gear.

You could be looking at tiny thin fibers replacing chunky CAT6.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I’d actually run flexible duct (as is common in continental wiring) back to a central point. This is very easy to do if you’re in a new build and the walls haven’t been constructed yet. It’s like rolls of hose pipe similar looking to washing machine drain hose.

Then just run the best CAT6 down those.

The reason I would suggest flexible ducts is it future proofs you. Technology moves on and we could be using better cable or even plastic fibers in a decade’s time for LAN.

Also run plenty of cable for things like speaker systems and give yourself more than just one run to rooms like offices as you might want to connect network printers, VoIP phones, sound system components, you name it.

Also don’t forget to install plenty of satellite grade coax to key points as it’s sfill very useful to be able to get RF signals to TVs and boxes and you’ll need two lines to each point of you want to use Sky+ like devices with multiple tuners. Or if you want to access continental satellites easily.

If you’ve access to the structure of the house and can install wiring without having to drill paster - go to town on it. It’s relatively cheap.

There are alternatives to running coax and these are likely to become more prevalent in future years just as I expect some version of fibre to replace Cat5/6/7.
    I have ripped out almost all the coax during a renovation at home and have all media, including Live TV, on a LAN instead.

In the medium term you still need coax to some main tv point though. You don’t need it for internal distribution anymore, but you do for the main system or if you want TVs with built in free sat tuners to work without a lot of messing with IPTV.

In the medium term you still need coax to some main tv point though. You don’t need it for internal distribution anymore, but you do for the main system or if you want TVs with built in free sat tuners to work without a lot of messing with IPTV.

Yes to one location rather than to all potential TV points ..... a much easier prospect.
    Considering that in a new build I expect LAN cables throughout, the coax could be considered unnecessary duplication.

It will probably be some years before reasonably priced centralised LAN distribution systems, with all the 'bells and whistles' are commercially available, but there is no technical impediment to doing things this way, except maybe the basic knowledge on set up.
    Even now there are devices like HDHomerun for terrestrial, and Digibit R1 for Satellite, and similar, which would go a long way to fulfilling requirements.
    Also apparently more people are using mobile devices to view content, so having a LAN set up would facilitate that.

Anyway, this is gone somewhat OT.

• Advertisement

Sky Q already operates over a LAN to the mini boxes.

Sky Q already operates over a LAN to the mini boxes.

I guess you missed the "reasonably priced" bit :D

Well wheee they go, other products will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Johnboy316

Hi All,

Quick query,buying a new house where electrician is doing first fixing next week.

I want to hard wire for the house but little confused as to what equipment I'll need.

The modem will be place in sitting room, on the other side of the wall as to where the opposite the ESB, so when FTTH is available I'll be able to connect the modem directly.

I'm going to need two Cat6 cables for the sitting room, two in the kitchen (one in different points in the kitchen), one in each of the three bedrooms.

Should I ask that the cables are ran into the attic or where should I get them sent to (it's a 3 bed semi D with no utility room)

Do I need a switch or a patch panel - I've seen them noted but not sure if I need them or what the difference is.

Any help is most welcome as I haven't a notion

Johnboy316 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Quick query,buying a new house where electrician is doing first fixing next week.

I want to hard wire for the house but little confused as to what equipment I'll need.

The modem will be place in sitting room, on the other side of the wall as to where the opposite the ESB, so when FTTH is available I'll be able to connect the modem directly.

I'm going to need two Cat6 cables for the sitting room, two in the kitchen (one in different points in the kitchen), one in each of the three bedrooms.

Should I ask that the cables are ran into the attic or where should I get them sent to (it's a 3 bed semi D with no utility room)

Do I need a switch or a patch panel - I've seen them noted but not sure if I need them or what the difference is.

Try to arrange a press .... like the size of a small coat press, or a shallow 'hot press' and dedicate it as the 'media press'.
    Wire all ethernet points from the rooms back to the press, using at least cat 5e or preferably cat 6 cable.

Get the wiring in place and worry about the gear you need afterwards.

Also bring whatever coax you have from dish and aerials to the same press if you intend to distribute TV over the LAN cables. It is a good idea to arrange a duct from outside in to the media press for extra coax cables in future or replacement of faulty cable.

If you can get the fibre connection into the media press that would be ideal.

The 'best position for a media press is near the centre of the building, if possible.

EDIT: Do not use the attic. Most providers will not permit their employees to work in attics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Johnboy316 wrote: »
    Hi All,

If your running cables, pick a central location. If its the attic, it will need a power source and fire alarm.
    From each point you run a cable, run 2 cables. In case one breaks or develops a fault. Cost wise it makes little difference.
    A switch allows all cables plugged into it to talk to each other. You would place this at the location where you terminate the cables. A home router would usually have 4 switched ports, if you chose to terminate beside it.
    A patch panel is a neater way of terminating ethernet cables together. Its not a absolute must, but is helpful to have.
    For cable termination you will require wall jacks, a punch down tool, a patch panel or RJ45 plugs for your cable type and some patch cables to go from the wall to the devices you want to connect.
    The important thing is to not be using the cables in the wall directly into devices. They are made with solid metal cores which can break if constantly moved and stressed. Patch cables are made from twisted metal fibres and are easily replaced when they do eventually break.

Further thought:

If you can get a duct or pipe to take the coax cables into the media press, then it is likely that the fibre connection can also go in there through the same duct/pipe.
    That would keep things much neater.
    If required you could have a Wireless unit in the main room fed from the ethernet socket.

If the tuners are in the media press for TV then you can distribute from there to all TV points, either over coax or LAN.

Do not put this gear in the attic.
    Lots of reasons, not least of which is you should not have permanently powered electronic devices in the attic where it might not be possible to attend to them ...... ever tried to negotiate an attic with a badly sprained ankle?
    Service technicians will not want to go near the attic if something needs servicing or replacing.

Advertisement