Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomato plants

Options
  • 21-06-2018 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

I have tomatoes planted in my tunnel and it's my first year so just learning, in the last 2 weeks the leads seem to have lost their life and look like they have curled a bit - is this ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Might be slightly thirsty but wouldn't worry unless they deteriorate further, look fairly healthy to me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks, i was watering them every night at their bases but last week i went to every second night incase i was over over watering them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nothing to worry about there, are they still growing at a decent rate? Water twice a day, early and late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Been there...congrats on your work !!
    Enjoy every minute... :)

You have planted them a bit too close to each other.
    Don't need to water every day twice a day...do it every 2 days once and do not touch the leafs with the water,just poor at the root,around it,soak it nice and gentle.. i'm watering in the morning only.

You will need to remove the extra leafs,cut down every one to at least 2/4 leafs per branch.
    Do not leave anything touching the ground as that will possible damage the plant and obviously,it iwll allow air to circulate better in that crowded space.
    Cut from the ground up but only a leaf branch at the time per two days interval.

Dont touch the top yet,let it go up for a while,until it reaches a weight that you want.
    You will need to get some wires to support the plant once the top shoots up nicely ...

Use only organic feeder,i love using organic chicken pellets / manure every 2-3 weeks,on the soil and well watered...

My plants below,before i cut the greens leafs ...and...after the masacre !
    Tomato needs to feed the fruits and not the leafs...

453937.jpg

453938.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

453940.jpg

453941.jpg

453939.jpg

453942.jpg

453943.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I love the smell of the leaves :p

Excellent thanks all, Yes i was thinking I had too many plants but its all learning so next year I will drop my middle row of plants in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

I am doing this, plants look wild though.

Advertisement