Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American passport requirements question

Options
  • 21-06-2018 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

My mother is an American citizen and lived there for multiple years before I was Born (this is a requirement). I'm now looking to apply for my American citizenship, I'm over the age of 18.
    Is it necessary for my other to accompany me to the embassy in Dublin even though I'm over 18?
    Also has anyone else gone through the process of getting their passport and was there any difficulties with it?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 beebah

Hello, sw33t-- I have helped family members & friends who have done this in Ireland and elsewhere, but I didn't have to do it myself. Also, I worked for a US federal agency for a few years that provided unemployment and retirement benefits to people who worked for railroads in America, and sometimes we had to assist in citizenship cases. I'm not an immigration attorney, so please double check everything I write below!
    ~If your mother completed a CRBA (Consular Report of Birth) at any US embassy or consulate before you turned 18, then the answer is definitely no.
    ~If she did not file a CRBA, then the short answer is no, as you are over the age of 17, but it would help you very much if she does. If she lives in Ireland, the Embassy definitely wants her to attend your appointment, so they can witness her signing the DS-5507 form. Whether she comes with you or not, you will probably need her help getting the proof of citizenship together. At the very least, you will need have access to her papers, if she is no longer alive or is not in Ireland. 
    The DS-5507 is the affidavit in which your mother attests under oath that she is a US citizen who meets the requirements for conferring citizenship, and that you are her child, thus conferring the right to US citizenship to you. If she lives in the US now, she can complete it over here, but will need to get it notarized, or sign it at a passport office or the appropriate State Department office. Unless she lives in a large city, frankly, it's a pain in the ass to complete it that way.
    If you're asking this because she has health problems or similar that makes a trip to the US Embassy in Dublin difficult, call them and let them know-- they can make allowances for hardship. 
    Whether she comes with you or not, make sure you have ALL the required evidence they ask for (I can't post the link because of Boards rules, but it's on the embassy website under "Rules for Passport Applicants Over 18")). They're not screwing around, especially now. This is also where having your mom there will be helpful, because you may not have the information or the documentation that they want, but she will.
    Good luck. Let me know if you have any further questions-- I may not have the answer, but I work with immigration attorneys who can answer general queries, though they legally cannot assist your case.

Advertisement