Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The journal.ie

Options
  • 21-06-2018 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Hi, can anyone tell me if this site is actually a liberal site, or an unbiased news site?

Ive never seen such liberal propaganda in anything Ive read. Trump=bad,hillary=good, women=good, men=toxic. Etc etc.

If it claims to be an unbiased news site, that is quite worrisome indeed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,004 ✭✭✭✭L1011

When you have right-wing screaming (and a large helping of fake competitions) calling itself "The Liberal", what considers itself liberal or not is pretty irrelevant.

Its a young, female oriented site - older male readers aren't going to find it particularly useful for them.

You do seem to be considering anything that you don't agree with as "liberal propaganda", however. Which does mean that you have asked this question with an obvious position and decided 'answer' already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

L1011 wrote: »
    When you have right-wing screaming (and a large helping of fake competitions) calling itself "The Liberal", what considers itself liberal or not is pretty irrelevant.

Its a young, female oriented site - older male readers aren't going to find it particularly useful for them.

You do seem to be considering anything that you don't agree with as "liberal propaganda", however. Which does mean that you have asked this question with an obvious position and decided 'answer' already.

Have a read of it someday with an open mind. Theres as many male columnists as female. They seem to run a narrative with liberal bias. The mostly report on how minorities, women, and gay people are victims. Plenty of feminist articles (male and female), painting women as moral puritans.
    As a very open minded,worldly, and well travelled person, I can tell you I've seen bad in both women and men. So Why is it always that men are bad? The seem to ignore reporting male issues completely.
    This is the narrative this website pushes is certainly biased (I'm not talking about the 'entertainment' part of the site).
    Hence why I say it is worrisome that a so called news website is 75% pushing a biased liberal agenda.
    Not all of us have leftist views and opinions, however this site seems to frame the narrative in such a way that anything other than liberal is 'wrongthink'. You don't need to be sherlock Holmes to observe this.

My aim in this thread is not the topic of left vs right. It is to others observations about this website.

Also, just to add. The reason I hate these biased sites is they are actually intolerant of others opinion. As a straight, white male, like most others ,I've worked hard for where I am. I never had a handout from anybody. I have been bullied, by both women and men. I'm sure the vast majority of men have experienced the same in some form or other.
    We are all in this together, and we all need a voice, not just minorities and women who are always the supposed victims.

lufties wrote: »
    It is to others observations about this website.

Its tabloid trash that writes to its audience. Its audience wants the position they take.

There is realistically no such thing as an unbiased news source; only what someone considers in their own opinion. I know people who consider the Daily Mail to be unbiased; I personally would consider the SBP to be probably the least biased in Ireland but there are people who consider it to be a left wing rag.

It is to others observations about this website.

Its tabloid trash that writes to its audience. Its audience wants the position they take.

There is realistically no such thing as an unbiased news source; only what someone considers in their own opinion. I know people who consider the Daily Mail to be unbiased; I personally would consider the SBP to be probably the least biased in Ireland but there are people who consider it to be a left wing rag.
    Yeah fair enough, I find though that MSM in general has become completely left wing biased, like RTE (Tubridy etc). However, I do find thejournal.ie outrageously biased.

Media reflects it's audience.

The gay mixed race leader of what was a right wing party who are in government with left to hard left independents; two referendums that would be hard to pass anywhere else getting 60+%; the hard right party having less than 1% of councillors and often showing at 0% in polls.

That would suggest a fair reflection to me

You aren't obliged to read The Journal nor are you funding it if you don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They really need to stop using AP stories. Their own writers can produce much more balanced stories than the trash you see from Associated Press and AFP

Media reflects it's audience.

The gay mixed race leader of what was a right wing party who are in government with left to hard left independents; two referendums that would be hard to pass anywhere else getting 60+%; the hard right party having less than 1% of councillors and often showing at 0% in polls.

That would suggest a fair reflection to me

You aren't obliged to read The Journal nor are you funding it if you don't

If people weren't brainwashed by these publications and msm in general, then these referendums mightn't have passed. Again, its sponsored propaganda like RTE.
    They shape their audience.
    Having travelled extensively, I have noticed Irish people are very conformist compared to other nations. Not many like to think independently, or question the status quo.
    The is not whether I have to read the journal or not. Its just its infuriating how unashamedly biased it is. Basically a leftist rag. Perhaps if more people question, or complain things might change.
    You are right though, I need to get my 'news' elsewhere.

I'm not sure the Ireland you're in is the same one I'm in...

Conformist or the idea the media had any influence on the referendums doesn't describe Ireland. And indeed the referendum results show a fairy outright rejection of being conformist

I'm not sure the Ireland you're in is the same one I'm in...

Conformist or the idea the media had any influence on the referendums doesn't describe Ireland. And indeed the referendum results show a fairy outright rejection of being conformist

95% of the media, all politicians and their pay masters wanted a yes vote, and they got it. Lisbon had to be voted on again.

Every night on TV theres something with a feminist edge to it. However, men's issue are always ignored, why is that? Its because the msm are pushing a certain narrative all the time. Eventually it will brainwashed and seep into the Irish consciousness.

What are you actually trying to achieve with the "question" you asked?

There is no glorious, right wing Irish news outlet for you to be directed to. Your use of "MSM" shows you wouldn't actually want there to be one anyway as it'd ruin your narrative.

• Advertisement

What are you actually trying to achieve with the "question" you asked?

There is no glorious, right wing Irish news outlet for you to be directed to. Your use of "MSM" shows you wouldn't actually want there to be one anyway as it'd ruin your narrative.
    Aha this is exactly the problem in Ireland. As soon as you query something you get shouted down and ostracised, if it goes against the thinking of others. All tribal and run on emotion. Debate is stifled, and your shoyed down for having a hidden agenda if you even question a narrative. 
    I'm not right or left wing, I'm actually centre and balanced when it comes to politics.

Aha this is exactly the problem in Ireland. As soon as you query something you get shouted down and ostracised, if it goes against the thinking of others. All tribal and run on emotion. Debate is stifled, and your shoyed down for having a hidden agenda if you even question a narrative. 
    I'm not right or left wing, I'm actually centre and balanced when it comes to politics.

The Ireland you think you're in is not a place I recognise. Thankfully.

You asked a "question" for which you had long since decided an answer, and can't explain why you asked it. If there isn't a hidden agenda are you just wasting peoples time?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

IMO the journal is a neo-liberal site, to me it's a Fine Geal news site.

It's liberal when it wants to be and fiscally conservative, it's jump on the bandwagon type stuff. It will cosy up to FG.

Elmo wrote: »
    IMO the journal is a neo-liberal site, to me it's a Fine Geal news site.

It's liberal when it wants to be and fiscally conservative, it's jump on the bandwagon type stuff. It will cosy up to FG.
    I agree with you 100%. They will say nothing against FG. To my detriment I've followed this website for a good number of years, and I've watched them really ramp up the propaganda. It actually astonishes me how blatant they are in ignoring certain things but promoting others.

The question I wanted to know is what does it trade as? An unbiased news site, or a liberal site?

Advertisement