Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 0-60 figure would be similar enough to the Lexus IS300h, which is the same bhp.
    Top speed is a bit of a red herring on a Hybrid with CVT transmission, the GS450h which is a lot faster still only has a top speed of 210kmph.

Weight wise, I think it’s around 1600kg which would be the same as the Lexus IS300h, and marginally less than the new Lexus ES Hybrid which effectively replaces the GS
    Worth pointing out that the Lexus (which is essentially the same thing) is a bit faster despite having the same bhp. Based on that, maybe the Camry is closer to 1700kg?

Kerb weight of the JDM model is 1,540-1,630 kg depending on trim (same single engine choice).

The 0-100km/h figure never looks great with the Toyota/Lexus hybrids, but that doesn't really reflect real world driving anyway. With my Prius (2012 3rd gen, plug-in version) things like getting up to motorway speeds or overtaking is not a problem at all.

The speed limit may be down to limitations in how fast the motor-generators can go, as they are integral parts of the transmission so always turning in some direction (sometimes at 10k RPM or more). And cars are limited to 180 km/h in Japan anyway, so they probably don't care that much about doing more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

I have to say the Corolla saloon doesn't look good up close imo. It has a very narrow back and the overall shape of the car looks kinda like a Prius. Looks far better in the pictures.

....not sure about the Camry in blue..

479165.jpg

I know someone who got one in some sort of metallic brown, I think it looks quite decent. The interior is quite nice too, with cream (probably synthetic) leather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to say the Corolla saloon doesn't look good up close imo. It has a very narrow back and the overall shape of the car looks kinda like a Prius. Looks far better in the pictures.

Have to disagree. I think it looks really good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Have to agree here, they look far better in the photos than they do in the flesh. Something contrived about their appearance. The hatchback looks well although it also looks like a carbon copy of the first generation Mazda 3 at the rear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The badge/camera and it’s recess below - and then a totally separate opening part on the Corolla hatch looks silly. Should have put the opener on the badge.

33-F6-C916-633-F-4900-BEC8-CF9-CE10-C9712.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

vectra wrote: »
    Oh God,
    I don't know all about that front grill :(

It's like they're competing with Gillette to see who can fit the most blades. It does look a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I see 124 Camry's got registered in April, black and brown are the big movers.

Black 39
    Brown 38
    Red/Maroon 17
    Blue 14
    Grey 14 0
    White/Ivory 2

https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

I passed a black one near Clonee on Wednesday last, and the front grille isn't too bad on a black car! :rolleyes:

I guess theyre selling whatever colours Toyota Ireland decide to bring in.

• Advertisement

I guess theyre selling whatever colours Toyota Ireland decide to bring in.

I'm a little surprised with only two white/Ivory Camry's, but I do think that's related to the big grille on the front of the car. However the real interesting colour is brown, as it has done so poorly in other cars in the Toyota's range.

Toyota Corolla
    Rank Colour 2019 2018
    1 Grey 1,085 871
    2 Red/Maroon 359 97
    3 Black 243 156
    4 White/Ivory 211 66
    5 Green 211 0
    6 Blue 129 1
    7 Brown 66 3

Toyota Prius Hybrid
    Rank Colour 2019 2018
    1 White/Ivory 24 34
    2 Red/Maroon 21 51
    3 Grey 13 63
    4 Black 8 37
    5 Brown 2 0
    6 Blue 0 2

Toyota C-HR
    Rank Colour 2019 2018
    1 Grey 1,029 996
    2 Black 217 150
    3 White/Ivory 205 257
    4 Red/Maroon 139 44
    5 Blue 89 101
    6 Brown 6 8

Toyota RAV-4
    Rank Colour 2019 2018
    1 Grey 453 408
    2 White/Ivory 203 94
    3 Blue 173 0
    4 Black 127 249
    5 Red/Maroon 120 191
    6 Green 2 0
    7 Brown 0 67

The cars aren’t built to order, they are ordered by Toyota Ireland in various specs and colours and then allocated to dealers. Dealers can swap allocations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

The cars aren’t built to order, they are ordered by Toyota Ireland in various specs and colours and then allocated to dealers. Dealers can swap allocations.

Would you be entertained if you tried to order a UK spec car from an Irish dealer?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Would you be entertained if you tried to order a UK spec car from an Irish dealer?

You would in your hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Toyota Ireland and Toyota GB are totally different companies, the specs haven't been aligned for a long time either. Sure for a long time even the suspension settings were different, Irish cars came with the rough road pack, the UK cars didn't.

Toyota Ireland and Toyota GB are totally different companies, the specs haven't been aligned for a long time either. Sure for a long time even the suspension settings were different, Irish cars came with the rough road pack, the UK cars didn't.

Then emissions happened...

They still come out of the same factory though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Had a spin on one the other day, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Gorgeous car and a nicely different from the usual suspects.

I noticed the other evening someone living near me, changed there 151 Toyota Avensis for a 192 Toyota Corolla saloon (and I thought that makes sense, as discussed here), but this evening to my shock the other car in the drive is now also changed, a 181 BMW 5 series to a 191 Toyota Corolla saloon........

P.S. Before the 5 series was a 162 Audi A6

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I noticed the other evening someone living near me, changed there 151 Toyota Avensis for a 192 Toyota Corolla saloon (and I thought that makes sense, as discussed here), but this evening to my shock the other car in the drive is now also changed, a 181 BMW 5 series to a 191 Toyota Corolla saloon........

P.S. Before the 5 series was a 162 Audi A6
    Maybe they have fallen on hard times...... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

5er is in for warranty work, the corolla is a loaner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

elperello wrote: »

Aye, you can't have loaners that'll break down.

That’s how enterprise decide what to buy alright.

I think they're take early retirement, getting sensible with there nest egg and getting rid of the money pit that is a BMW!!!! :p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Just read the news that Toyota Ireland is bring back Camry and will discontinue Avensis.
    Never liked the Avensis but having driven the last generation of Camry in the middle east, I believe it would be a good addition to the Toyota line-up.
    "The new Camry will share its chassis and hybrid powertrain with the new Lexus ES executive saloon, which means it will have the same flexible TNGA (Toyota New Generation Architecture) underpinnings, and a 2.5-litre four-cylinder petrol engine, backed up by a hybrid electric transmission."
    Bloody electric crap I used love the auld diesel

I think they stopped doing diesel camrys in Ireland around 1991.

Few Japanese imports around alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I think they stopped doing diesel camrys in Ireland around 1991.

Few Japanese imports around alright.

The narrow body jap 2.2td auto ones have fairly disappeared over the last 10 years :(

Don't knock it till you've tried it ;)

Okay, all is well in the world again, I took a walk up passed my neighbours house earlier this evening, the 5 series is back in it's rightful place. "elperello" you were right, the Corolla was a loaner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Had a good spin in the new Corolla hybrid last week (3 hours or so) and to be honest it's same old Toyota for me. They might be slowly catching up on interior quality but I wasn't overly impressed. Rear headroom was terrible, seats uncomfortable and gearbox sounded woeful. For 30k I'd be looking elsewhere.

In fairness to it it was doing 50MPG which is alright for a 1.8 petrol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

PaulKK wrote: »
    Had a good spin in the new Corolla hybrid last week (3 hours or so) and to be honest it's same old Toyota for me. They might be slowly catching up on interior quality but I wasn't overly impressed. Rear headroom was terrible, seats uncomfortable and gearbox sounded woeful. For 30k I'd be looking elsewhere.

In fairness to it it was doing 50MPG which is alright for a 1.8 petrol.

Hybrid model? Gearbox is CVT which takes a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Saw one today, not a nice looking car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think they are classy in top spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Saw one today, not a nice looking car.

Really is true about the eye of the beholder. I think the higher spec ones (with the bigger "spoke" wheels and lighter coloured front grill) look great. This is the one I test drove.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 rebelArt2018

Guys, has anybody know owner of any Camry Hybrid 2013, up to 2015, is there any risk in buying hybrid toyota over 6 years of age? would appreciate to direct me anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Guys, has anybody know owner of any Camry Hybrid 2013, up to 2015, is there any risk in buying hybrid toyota over 6 years of age? would appreciate to direct me anywhere?

Toyota hybrids are more reliable than conventionally driven cars. They routinely reach half million km. Unless the car was used in extremely harsh conditions - think Arizona summer - there is very low risk of battery failure.

That being said the typical precautions while buying a used car apply here too.

grogi wrote: »
    Toyota hybrids are more reliable than conventionally driven cars. They routinely reach half million km. Unless the car was used in extremely harsh conditions - think Arizona summer - there is very low risk of battery failure.

That being said the typical precautions while buying a used car apply here too.

Totally appreciate it, will call the garage and ask to see if battery under any guarantee, thank you, really appreciate this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 2013 to 2015 Camry would be a Japanese import as the Camry wasn't officially sold in Ireland for 14 years up to recently. So be careful with the availability of body panel and some mechanical parts over here. Also be wary of some Japanese language only infotainment systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

Guys, has anybody know owner of any Camry Hybrid 2013, up to 2015, is there any risk in buying hybrid toyota over 6 years of age?
    I'd be guessing it's a Japanese import too as I don't think the Camry was sold here or in the uk during those years.
    I'd make some enquiries regarding after sales back up.
    I'm sure engine parts should be easy enough to get but body panels or lights may be slightly harder as they would be rare here. I'm open to correction on that as my knowledge of dealing with imported cars is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

shane b wrote: »
    I'd be guessing it's a Japanese import too as I don't think the Camry was sold here or in the uk during those years.
    I'd make some enquiries regarding after sales back up.
    I'm sure engine parts should be easy enough to get but body panels or lights may be slightly harder as they would be rare here. I'm open to correction on that as my knowledge of dealing with imported cars is limited.

Not only that a lot of insurers won't touch imports....

We only got the Camry back... 2.5 petrol hybrid.

• Advertisement

Totally appreciate it, will call the garage and ask to see if battery under any guarantee, thank you, really appreciate this

You want to buy it in Ireland?

The amount I've seen as taxis reminds me of the early to mid 90s where all the taxis were white imported Japanese Camry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭shane b

grogi wrote:
    If you check done deal there is a few of them for sale

yes looking in Ireland, as import could be costly for insurance, I think...

yes looking in Ireland, as import could be costly for insurance, I think...

I assumed you're thinking about buying in the US.
    I don't think Camry of that generation was offered in Europe. I wouldn't.

yes here, check done deal

Japanese import...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

yes here, check done deal

There's some imports of them here, not sure if the 2.5 litre engine is shared with the Lexus IS300h or not.

Japanese import...
    wow, will double check then, really appreciate this tip

wow, will double check then, really appreciate this tip

That's where they will be coming from or very unlikely Australia for example...

It's just a repeat of 20 years ago or more for that fact..

• Advertisement
Advertisement