Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota is bringing back Camry and discontinuing Avensis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

ofcork wrote: »
    What spec and price if you don't mind me asking?

Hybrid Luna sport in Celestite grey at around 30K. My wife will be driving it mostly. Her knees are fecked and the manual trans on the Ford was killing her. The PCP was up on the Focus and the Corolla ticked all the boxes for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Decent trade in I'd be moving from a 12 diesel avensis.

It will be interesting to see if this latest version of the Toyota Hybrid will get better gas mileage then our turbo diesel. Because, the Focus has been very economical. Talk that the government could be increasing tax on diesel was one of the reasons that swayed me toward the Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭doney84

doney84 wrote: »
    I guess so, its the same 1.8 hybrid engine that is in the hatch so maybe they test drove that ?

According to this [HTML][/HTML]https://blog.toyota.co.uk/introducing-the-new-2019-toyota-corolla-saloon they are.

Yeah, it was the hatch version I tested drove with the same engine. It will be mid to late march when I'll get my hands on it. I was happy with the way it drove but the hatch is too small for us. The Saloon is a perfect size. Were're coming from a 2016 Ford Focus.
    Will be moving from a diesel Passat myself. Change of job so will only do about 10k miles a year now so reckon hybrid car would suit my needs. From the specs I have been able to get, I was also interested in the Luna sport trim. It appears this trim comes with a lot of cream in the interior and while it is nice it will probably be a b*tch to keep clean especially as I have a young child. If you don't mind me asking, were you able to chose interior colours when putting your order in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Guys is there still an issue with having to replace the battery for thousands causing the actual cost of the vehicle to be much higher over its lifetime when compared to an ICE engine?

I really like the idea of hybrids - just wondering about the longevity of them. If any company could figure it out it's Toyota.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

FGR wrote: »
    Guys is there still an issue with having to replace the battery for thousands causing the actual cost of the vehicle to be much higher over its lifetime when compared to an ICE engine?

I really like the idea of hybrids - just wondering about the longevity of them. If any company could figure it out it's Toyota.
    Ah now here. Go and have a clutch kit and flywheel replaced in a modern car and it's probably close to having a hybrid battery refurbished.

Will be moving from a diesel Passat myself. Change of job so will only do about 10k miles a year now so reckon hybrid car would suit my needs. From the specs I have been able to get, I was also interested in the Luna sport trim. It appears this trim comes with a lot of cream in the interior and while it is nice it will probably be a b*tch to keep clean especially as I have a young child. If you don't mind me asking, were you able to chose interior colours when putting your order in ?

L8weTPR.jpg
    This was the choice on the interior. He said they will spray some kinda of protective coating on the seats to keep it clean. Don't know how well that will work out though. My kids are older now so, I'm not too worried.
    zQbKR52.jpg

The sports comes with 17" nicer looking wheels too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

That's probably what most Avensis owners who'll stick with Toyota will do. They probably hoped they'd move up to the Camry but I doubt that many in Ireland will.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Can't understand why Toyota is pushing these hybrid so much, ok they don't have a diesel engine of their own to fit in them, but why aren't they offering the petrol only engines in all trim levels, these hybrid's are only a stop gap until full electric range increases, like diesels most people buying these hybrid's will never recoup the extra purchase price on running costs.

It definitely is a concern but, I'll probably roll it over in three years time. My brother-in-laws turbo just went on his BMW which will cost him a lot to replace. So it's all relative.

• Advertisement

From what I hear the Lexus hybrid models have been reliable my experience of Toyota has been the same yet my sister had a 3 msport from new with nothing but issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ml100 wrote: »
    Can't understand why Toyota is pushing these hybrid so much, ok they don't have a diesel engine of their own to fit in them, but why aren't they offering the petrol only engines in all trim levels, these hybrid's are only a stop gap until full electric range increases, like diesels most people buying these hybrid's will never recoup the extra purchase price on running costs.

Walk or cycle through any built up area with heavy traffic and see the damage diesel is doing to people's health, criminal. No monitoring whatsoever of air quality in Dublin city centre, pure heads in the sand.

My diesel is only doing 7l/100km so a hybrid would surely be better.

Will be moving from a diesel Passat myself.

That's another type of customer they would've been hoping to get into a Camry.

One wonders will they sell many a'tall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

That's another type of customer they would've been hoping to get into a Camry.

One wonders will they sell many a'tall.

I was seriously going to consider the Camry ( top spec one ) until I saw it had loads of woodgrain trim inside.
    I was out at that point. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The lifespan of the Toyota hybrid traction batteries is typically in excess of 12 years in our climate, and they'll maintain the warranty up to 10 years if you bring it in for an annual inspection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

No monitoring whatsoever of air quality in Dublin city centre, pure heads in the sand.

There is, on an hourly basis.
    http://www.epa.ie/air/quality/index/

Hurrache wrote: »
    There is, on an hourly basis.
    http://www.epa.ie/air/quality/index/

A good link. The current air quality in Dublin is 9 out of 10 with 1 being the best. So not quite very poor but just at the extreme end of poor (7-9 is the scale for poor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Kinda looks like a Lexus front.

• Advertisement

Well,
    Anyone going to order a Camry?
    I may still have a drive in one before I make a decision on what to buy.
    I looked online again and I think the woodgrain would be bearable if the car itself was a nice drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

I was seriously looking at the Camry also, looks really nice motor but ended up changing for a New Model A6 (Demo) with just 3000miles on the clock 182. Staying with deisel for the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

SBPhoto wrote: »
    I was seriously looking at the Camry also, looks really nice motor but ended up changing for a New Model A6 (Demo) with just 3000miles on the clock 182. Staying with deisel for the moment.

Demo or senior executive's car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭Azatadine

SBPhoto wrote: »

What's the ergonomics for the driver like in the C8 in terms of leg/foot room. I struggle with the pedal placement in my C7 - accelerator too far to right and the transmission tunnel ingress is pretty bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭SBPhoto

Demo, should be taking delivery soon hopefully this week, i drive a C7 at the moment don't have any problem with the pedal placement personally.

Saw a Camry in the metal today in dealers forecourt looked well only 17" alloys though needs bigger I think.

• Advertisement

Saw a Camry in the metal today in dealers forecourt looked well only 17" alloys though needs bigger I think.

Where was that?
    I would got for the platinum model which has 18's as far as I am aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Have they managed to get the interior up to a standard that can compete with the Germans in the same price range?
    Lexus can struggle in that department never mind Toyota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mickdw wrote: »
    Have they managed to get the interior up to a standard that can compete with the Germans in the same price range?
    Lexus can struggle in that department never mind Toyota.

there is little that competes with the germans in exec saloon plush land. even the top level LS series feels about the same as a lower end 5 series inside.

Lehanes silver with leather interior.

Camry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Camry

Looks well.

36190-FF0-A7-A1-4-BFF-95-C6-D950591-FEFA9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I see according the spec sheet they're only good for 8.3 seconds on the 0-100 sprint. How heavy are they? You'd think with 218 bhp they'd be more like the seven second mark for 0-100. Top speed is only 180 in them as well despite the power they're meant to have.

One thing that would annoy me about the spec list is the lack of an auto dimming rear view mirror unless you buy the Platinum model.

I see according the spec sheet they're only good for 8.3 seconds on the 0-100 sprint. How heavy are they? You'd think with 218 bhp they'd be more like the seven second mark for 0-100. Top speed is only 180 in them as well despite the power they're meant to have.

One thing that would annoy me about the spec list is the lack of an auto dimming rear view mirror unless you buy the Platinum model.

The 0-60 figure would be similar enough to the Lexus IS300h, which is the same bhp.
    Top speed is a bit of a red herring on a Hybrid with CVT transmission, the GS450h which is a lot faster still only has a top speed of 210kmph.

Weight wise, I think it’s around 1600kg which would be the same as the Lexus IS300h, and marginally less than the new Lexus ES Hybrid which effectively replaces the GS
    Worth pointing out that the Lexus (which is essentially the same thing) is a bit faster despite having the same bhp. Based on that, maybe the Camry is closer to 1700kg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Kelly Toyota in Letterkenny have a Pearl white Camry in the showroom. It’s a seriously nice looking car and one I would definitely consider one down the line.

mickdw wrote: »
    Lexus can struggle in that de
    partment never mind Toyota.

Lexus are well behind the Germans sales wise with 240 sales so far compared to nearly 2500 Audi and merc/bmw over 1800 each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Walk or cycle through any built up area with heavy traffic and see the damage diesel is doing to people's health, criminal. No monitoring whatsoever of air quality in Dublin city centre, pure heads in the sand.
    I've walked through Dublin City and can see no sign off criminal damage to people walking along the street. What should I be looking out for?

I see according the spec sheet they're only good for 8.3 seconds on the 0-100 sprint. How heavy are they? You'd think with 218 bhp they'd be more like the seven second mark for 0-100.

Weight destroys a car's performance

Oh God,
    I don't know all about that front grill :(

highdef wrote: »
    I've walked through Dublin City and can see no sign off criminal damage to people walking along the street. What should I be looking out for?

I imagine the comments were essentially along the lines of there's a smoking ban but folk must endure exhaust gas emissions while wandering around the city centre.
    There's no law being broken but folk are inhaling stuff that is quite likely harmful in totally unknown quantities and in many case without realising it.
    Cancer and respiratory problems can take decades to manifest so the fact you noticed nothing isn't surprising :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Augeo wrote: »
    I imagine the comments were essentially along the lines of there's a smoking ban but folk must endure exhaust gas emissions while wandering around the city centre.
    There's no law being broken but folk are inhaling stuff that is quite likely harmful in totally unknown quantities and in many case without realising it.
    Cancer and respiratory problems can take decades to manifest so the fact you noticed nothing isn't surprising :)

Fair enough but the key word in Atlantic Dawns post was 'criminal' which suggested there was something of a criminal nature going on. Maybe A D needs to choose their words more carefully to avoid giving off a propaganda vibe.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Oh God,
    I don't know all about that front grill :(

Have you driven any other hybrids yet?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Have you driven any other hybrids yet?

Not yet Colm,
    I was going to take a drive in the Camry but after seeing that grill I might have been put off one of them again.

I honestly could never have seen you buying one.

I would say drive a corolla, Rav, Lexus IS, prius, or whatever you can get your hands on. See if you like the hybrid way of driving. I don’t think you will.

highdef wrote: »
    Fair enough but the key word in Atlantic Dawns post was 'criminal' which suggested there was something of a criminal nature going on. Maybe A D needs to choose their words more carefully to avoid giving off a propaganda vibe.

It's a figure of speech, nothing more.

I honestly could never have seen you buying one.

I would say drive a corolla, Rav, Lexus IS, prius, or whatever you can get your hands on. See if you like the hybrid way of driving. I don’t think you will.

You could be right there,
    I could be very easily put off one with the cvt gearbox.
    I might take that drive to kill my curiosity though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

With a lot of taxi drivers using the prius now can see a customer base there wot with the bigger boot last year at Dublin airport we had to get the next taxi cos our luggage didn't fit in the boot of a prius

Agreed. Theyd be a great taxi. However most Prius taxis are bought used and a lot are imported. I can’t see many stumping up for a new one, and I can’t see Toyota uk or Ireland selling as many to private or fleet buyers new as the taxi drivers will want to buy used in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Agreed. Theyd be a great taxi. However most Prius taxis are bought used and a lot are imported. I can’t see many stumping up for a new one, and I can’t see Toyota uk or Ireland selling as many to private or fleet buyers new as the taxi drivers will want to buy used in a few years.

100%. Far too expensive for the average taxi driver to bother to stump up the money for.

Dunno how an airport taximan can use a Prius sized car especially regarding American tourists who tend to have huge cases and are often very large themselves. A 7 seater van is probably best for the airport rank.

• Advertisement

When I used Uber Black, there were for a few nicely-specked Camrys that would arrive. Loved them compared got the min-spec C-Class crap that were highly uncomfortable in comparison.

Advertisement