Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old rail link Mullingar Athlone?

Options
  • 21-06-2018 6:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭

Has anyone done this? I've mentioned on the odd thread here already I'm only getting back into cycling as I mainly run.Have started cycling again as a form of cross training for my Marathon training.
    Not that confident on the roads yet so thought I might throw the bike into the car tomorrow and drive to Mullingar and maybe do 50km (25km out 25km back) of this tomorrow to build up my distance endurance in a safe enough environment. May even do a 10km run afterwards if I'm not too bollixedðŸ˜
    From what I read it's a pretty good surface and mainly flat.
    Edit: sorry I actually think it's called Old Rail Trail not link.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Are you going for a swim beforehand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Are you going for a swim beforehand?

I swim like a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

It’s a excellent surface with a few very slight long uphill bits.
    I did it a few times now I find it very boring though!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

It’s a excellent surface with a few very slight long uphill bits.
    I did it a few times now I find it very boring though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Are trains still capable of running the line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Qrt wrote: »
    Are trains still capable of running the line?

No. There is still the remains of one rail line in place (The route was built to be double tracked, so still plenty of room), but it would be unusable for real world rail travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Enduro wrote: »
    No. There is still the remains of one rail line in place (The route was built to be double tracked, so still plenty of room), but it would be unusable for real world rail travel.

Unsuitable economically or engineeringly? If it's the former then I guess it'd still be suitable for use if a fence was put up like along parts of the DART line. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Surface is excellent - high grade tarmac. It's 42km from one end to the other - I use it regularly, particularly in winter when daylight is not great as it's completely traffic free.

There is a public car park at the Mullingar end across the road from the start and there is a bike shop next to it also. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭maldondo

A great place to train, very good surface with long straight sections.

Make sure you can cope with punctures as you can be in the middle of knowhere at times and be careful of pedestrians especially dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭multisport

Go for it, there's a good surface and it's reasonably flat. Being an old railway the downside is that it's very straight, bring a friend, you'll have someone to talk to. 
    If you're using it as a training ride just be aware that on a sunny summers day it will almost certainly be busy. 

Instead of starting in Mullingar I'd suggest you park up in Athlone, have a 99 before you start, cycle the 12km to Moate and have a coffee and sticky bun before you cycle back to Athlone, I don't know about you but my body appreciates the food approach :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Thanks all. I'm here on it at the minute. Just parked up at an old station sitting on a wall having a sambo. Beautiful morning.
    Sure what else would you be doing on a Friday morning.
    Have about 30km done so far.

Advertisement