Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I scan a document and edit it in word

Options
  • 21-06-2018 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Im finishing up my postgrad degree, Ive been in work experience placement all year and as part of my degree I have to hand in references from my w/e placement.
    I asked my supervisor in work placement for a reference, he was happy to write one up for me, got it off him today and theres a load of things wrong with it.
    1. Its not on headed paper
    2. Its full of spelling errors
    3. The grammar is terrible
    4. Theres spaces where there shouldn't be spaces/no spaces where there should be spaces.
    5. He wrote at the bottom of the page 'Do not hesitate to call me for further information' but didn't include his number.
    He's signed the bottom of it so I cant just type it out again
    Is there anyway of editing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Im finishing up my postgrad degree, Ive been in work experience placement all year and as part of my degree I have to hand in references from my w/e placement.
    I asked my supervisor in work placement for a reference, he was happy to write one up for me, got it off him today and theres a load of things wrong with it.
    1. Its not on headed paper
    2. Its full of spelling errors
    3. The grammar is terrible
    4. Theres spaces where there shouldn't be spaces/no spaces where there should be spaces.
    5. He wrote at the bottom of the page 'Do not hesitate to call me for further information' but didn't include his number.
    He's signed the bottom of it so I cant just type it out again
    Is there anyway of editing it?

No, and then it wouldn't be his recommendation. You could try loading it into a paint tool like Photoshop and overlaying text if you can match fonts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There is software that can do this but in my experience it is flaky and it wont recognise handwriting.
    To be honest it would be easier to go back to the supervisor, it's not good practise to edit a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Might work with OCR (optical character recognition).

You could use OneNote (app) to take a pic of it and it will try to convert as much text as it sees.

EDIT: I think you can do it with the program too... https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14595/ocr-anything-with-onenote-2007-and-2010/

EDIT 2: Sorry just realised that it's a written note. There is software called MyScript, but you'll have to pay for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Scan the letter.
    Type it up in word without the errors. Copy and paste the signature onto the word document. Profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Non-issue. You’re required to hand in a reference. Not to proof read and correct one. Your work supervisor’s literacy deficits are not your problem.

If it came to light that you ‘doctored’ a document, that might in itself become an issue. Just hand it in as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Re-type up the document correctly.
    Scan the signature only and put that on the new document.

It would be much better to type up the document and get the manger to resign it, if you explain why he shouldn't have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ask supervisor for headed paper so you can type his reference up more professionally, and present it for him to sign, so he knows there have been no significant changes.
    You offering to do 'the work' of typing it up might help get it done correctly.

I would strongly advise against making your own and copying his signature to it, no matter how close the text is to his original.

Advertisement