Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkee 2018 - Hell of the West

Options
  • 21-06-2018 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Apologies if there is a duplicate thread but couldn't find one.

Just spotted the bike course has changed dramatically this year.
    Only doing the race the last few years. Has this happened before?

http://limericktriathlon.com/?p=6978

Looks rolling and not nearly as technical. Love the fact it's still ~44 Km. Not overly familiar with those roads but the surface from memory is very good. Bit narrower obviously.

Many on here in for it?

The Kona of An Clár :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

MalDoc wrote: »

Looks rolling and not nearly as technical. Love the fact it's still ~44 Km. Not overly familiar with those roads but the surface from memory is very good. Bit narrower obviously.

Many on here in for it?

The Kona of An Clár :)

Not in this year unfortunately. Brave move to change the route but understandable as the old route was getting very hard to marshal. Hopefully less traffic on the new one.

I think overall road quality will be similar, some rough bits but none lasting too long. There's one stretch a couple of km from Kilbaha that's a real boneshaker, but only a few hundred metres and I think actually worse in the opposite direction the race takes. Will cycle it tomorrow :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i'm entered, but flying back in from the US late friday night (my third time on a different continent in 3 weeks, so far from race shape) so still 50/50 on whether i'll make it, will set the alarm for 5am and if i get up i get up.

spotted the course change alright, should be interesting. if i don't wake with the energy to actually do it i think i'll take a spin down later to watch it anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

There are road works on the old course route so they had to change it to this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

the race brief specifically mentioned the bridge in doonbeg and the issues there over the last few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

On the off chance that someone racing Kilkee hasn't sorted accommodation yet I know of 1-2 spaces in a nice house pretty close to transition available for Friday & Saturday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

while kilkee is no doubt the mother of tri in ireland the first picture in my head when i think about the race, is what used to be one of the worlds top post race parties. epic stuff.
    anyway looking forwawrd to the 34th edition.

i beleive there is 2 athletes that did all 33 so far ( dont quote me on that but its not far off )

glad its still a 44 k bike course.

Many on here in for it?

The Kona of An Cl:)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wackoy2k

Mockba wrote: »
    There are road works on the old course route so they had to change it to this one.

I'm hearing that the reason for the course change was down to Trump Jr moving by road from Doonbeg to Lahinch at the time the race was passing the hotel.

I am not 110% sure but i think you are Sean and gave me the cartridge out on the course ( please pm me your work adresse and i bring the bag and cartridge over one of those days )

cheers.

Many on here in for it?

The Kona of An Cl:)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Hold on to it. Haven't touched the thing since it blew apart two tubes on me last summer. Can't use it. Turned a short spin into an 8 hour trek.

Hold on to it. Haven't touched the thing since it blew apart two tubes on me last summer. Can't use it. Turned a short spin into an 8 hour trek.

cheers i understand you its a bit over the top and it took me a minute to work it out and did not work well for the small cut out of the disc wheel ( but it got me home so thanks again for stopping )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Wackoy2k wrote: »
    I'm hearing that the reason for the course change was down to Trump Jr moving by road from Doonbeg to Lahinch at the time the race was passing the hotel.

Unfortunately just some mundane roadworks in Doonbeg meant the end of the main street and the bridge had surface disruptions and temporary traffic lights and wouldn't have been suitable for a race let alone normal Saturday traffic.

Advertisement