Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Anyone Identify This Please?

• 22-06-2018 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi guys, myself and my daughter found this little beauty growing at the edge of our driveway... Can anyone help us identify it? Does it grow big? As we dont have many trees we love it an hope it grows to a good size :) (please dont tell us is a weed :))

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

Think it's an Mountain ash or Ash sapling

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,841 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's ash. and yes, it'll grow big - not a tree you want at the side of the driveway probably.
    if you've a big garden, you could relocate it in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Strikor

Thanks so much guys.... We have a big open driveway, maybe it will look good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Strikor wrote: »
    Thanks so much guys.... We have a big open driveway, maybe it will look good

Trust me, it won't. Pull it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It will most likely spread also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭macraignil

Strikor wrote: »
    Hi guys, myself and my daughter found this little beauty growing at the edge of our driveway... Can anyone help us identify it? Does it grow big? As we dont have many trees we love it an hope it grows to a good size :) (please dont tell us is a weed :))

Thanks in advance!!!

Ash can grow to 35metres in height according to this website so if it is less than that distance from your house it should probably be moved further away. Moved a few the winter just gone as they had sprouted in inconvenient places in the garden. There are a few really big ones on the road near where I live and I guess that's where the seedlings are coming from. They are nice trees so I'd be slow to kill them anyhow. Moved some down to the bank of a nearby stream where some trees were cut for firewood last year so maybe will have some for firewood in a few decades.

Cheers for all the info everyone. We literally have one crappy tree at the end of our garden.So reluctant to kill it... but might have to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Yeah, if you leave it where it is, in a few years you won't have a driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The other problem with ash is that it constantly drops small branches and twigs so you constantly have to clean up under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Lose it fast! A couple 40ft ones in my neighbours garden fell during hurricane Ophelia and barely missed 2 houses.

• Advertisement

Thank you

Advertisement