Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disposing of birds

Options
  • 22-06-2018 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

For anyone who does pigeon/crow shooting for farm and crop protection what is the best way of disposing of the shot birds?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Game pie?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Game pie?

While im all for using the meat that you kill a crow pie doesnt seem to tickle the taste buds haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

hang them for a fox, and then shoot said fox when he is finished

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

You should be eating the pigeons, they are tasty (unless they are feral flying rats)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

hang them for a fox, and then shoot said fox when he is finished
    What do you do with the dead fox then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Many solutions:

Eat them: plenty of recipes for them, their better eaten fresh but they can be frozen. Mince them up and make burgers and sausage rolls etc.

Dog Food: breast them out and pick the shot, then process raw or cooked for the dogs.

Decoys: freeze them whole, 2 dozen is good and keep them for the next session. As they become tattered feed the ditches with them.

Sell them: this requires the nesscessity of a game handerlers licence. The bags need to be substantial in order to be worth your while when you take in the cost of traveling to and from the game dealer.

If I'm shooting covids and only on arrangement with the farmer I'll feed the ditches around the farm. I always ensure NOT to dump large numbers of birds in one spot, preferring to scatter them up and down the ditches. This practice can be controversial for a few reasons one being the potential to poison birds of prey and carrion eaters due to the presence of lead shot.

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    What do you do with the dead fox then?

Leave him for the magpies its an endless circle.

I actually dont do any of the above i throw them in my sceptic tank usually where they are broken down by bacteria and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I actually dont do any of the above i throw them in my sceptic tank usually where they are broken down by bacteria and the likes

Don't know whether or not to believe that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Definitely improves the biological activity of any septic tank... Or if you are planting fruit trees,it most definitely helps them. Used to be a tradition in some great houses, that on a death of a beloved pet, it was buried in the orchard with a fruit tree on it.
    If you can find someone who will still buy pelts, its worth skinning ol Charlie and tanning the pelt, obviously better in Winter, not Summer.
    Crows, if they are very young.IE able to climb out of the nest and sit on the branches before flying was the traditional ingredient in English Rook pies up until even post ww2.The English had plenty of so-called "Rook calibres" for them as well. "plant your runner beans on the 23rd of May, shoot your rooks on the 25 !"Was an old UK country saying.
    Piegons, skin and take the breasts,exellent eating.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Vizzy wrote: »
    Don't know whether or not to believe that:D

How do you think the solids are broken down in your sceptic tank.

Look into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Tis true the best thing to kickstart a new septic tank is the carcas of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

How do you think the solids are broken down in your sceptic tank.

Look into it

I think the joke in the reply went over your head...

viper123 wrote: »
    I think the joke in the reply went over your head...

What are ya spouting on about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

A septic tank is a chamber made of concrete, fiberglass, PVC or plastic, through which domestic wastewater flows for primary treatment.

sceptic - a person who maintains a doubting attitude

Vizzy wrote: »
    A septic tank is a chamber made of concrete, fiberglass, PVC or plastic, through which domestic wastewater flows for primary treatment.

sceptic - a person who maintains a doubting attitude

Haha a1 mossy get ya now

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭delboythedub

very true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭Base price

You should be eating the pigeons, they are tasty (unless they are feral flying rats)
    +1
    Pan fried wood pigeon breasts in butter (Kerrygold) are by far my favourite breakfast during the Autumn/Winter with a sprinkle of salt&pepper along with a few cuts of boxty or fried batch loaf and a couple poached eggs - yum, yum :)

TBH I don't bother to cook the whole bird anymore as the pickings off the bones probably require expanding more energy than received. Pluck the breast feathers, use a sharp boning or filleting knife to cut out the breasts and leave the rest of the carcass to nature.

Advertisement