Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-sonic cartridges

Options
  • 22-06-2018 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Looking for a slab of sub-sonic 12 or 20 bores in any weight or shot size. Usual supplier is out of stock so wondering does anyone know of some elsewhere at present?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

sean in mourne does the lyalavale sub sonic ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭breakemall

Thank you, but would like something a little closer to the midlands if possible.

breakemall wrote: »
    Thank you, but would like something a little closer to the midlands if possible.

Where are you? Tommy in harbour house has rc subsonics

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Courtlough in Dublin have them bought a slab there recently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Do they make much of a difference ? When/why do yis use them ? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Do they make much of a difference ? When/why do yis use them ? :confused::confused:

Local club uses the due to noise complaints! Great in a hush power also.

Kat1170 wrote: »

They do make a difference and are great for use in a noise sensitive area. I would imagine they are essential in moderated shotguns such as the hush power because most of the "bang" we hear is generated when the shot load breaks the sound barrier of 343 MPS/1125 FPS?

Thank you for all your suggestions and the PM's, ammo now sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

breakemall wrote: »
    Looking for a slab of sub-sonic 12 or 20 bores in any weight or shot size. Usual supplier is out of stock so wondering does anyone know of some elsewhere at present?

Lakelands have them .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Never knew there was such a thing. Are they useful for game or just for breaking clays? What sizes / shot weight do they come in?

rsole1 wrote: »
    Lakelands have them .

Thank you but they were out of stock there at the moment.

A lot of game is shot with clay cartridges these days so on that front it would not be that big a difference, but the knock down power is slightly less. Personally I think game deserves game loads unless shot at close range, and most game cartridges are slower than top flight clay ammo anyway.

Having said that I recall many moons ago one particular veteran shooter from the sunny south east having great success with them at DTL, and if my memory serves me right he managed a 300 or two.

Sub-sonics are quieter, slightly less recoil and need a little more lead as the shot takes fractionally longer to get to the target, but not significantly so as long as it is not a very long shot. In noise sensitive areas they are ideal, particularly if you are firing a good few shots.

Anyway, ammo sorted so thank you all again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

SeaFields wrote: »
    Never knew there was such a thing. Are they useful for game or just for breaking clays? What sizes / shot weight do they come in?

I buy them for my father who has a bad shoulder. 24g sub sonics, almost no recoil what so ever. Means he can actually shoot a few rounds of clays now again. I find it weird shooting them when I'm not used to them. You would nearly think it's a misfire you've had until you see the clay break!

Advertisement