Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Urban legends

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭williestroker1

Girl I know went to a chippendales gig years ago. At some stage a posing pouch was thrown into the audience missing her by inches but she felt something go into her eye. Days later her eye became sorer and sorer. She goes to the doctor and after examining her eye he uses a tweezers to get a pubic lice from her eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Somebody was high on shrooms and kidnapped a Down syndrome child thinking that it was a goblin or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

This one was very common during the Celtic Tiger. A couple are getting married and get a call from Ashford Castle/ Castle Leslie where they have booked their reception. They are asked if they can move their wedding date as David & Victoria Beckham/ Paul & Heather McCartney are renewing their vows/ getting married, and want the hotel for that exact date. But they are willing to pay for the couple's wedding in full, including honeymoon. Happened to many friends of friends, so a lot of free weddings round that time

Yep, heard that , A co worker said it was her sons friend was asked to move their wedding , but it was for Frank Lampard and Whatever her name is ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

for crying out loud, angry, he only had to fit his face in.
    and his hand
    and the razor.

edit: it was his face he was shaving wasn't it??

Yeah just his face. He was always first into work and he used shaving foam. He would dunk his razor into the kettle to rinse it as he shaved. He couldn't understand my over reaction when I caught him. " I wash it out when I'm done"
    I had so many cups of tea out of that kettle before I knew what was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

The removed rib to suck his own dick myth, in my day it was Prince but I've heard Marilyn Manson too.
    The human Ken Doll actually did have his lower ribs removed.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5482519/Human-Ken-Doll-Rodrigo-Alves-28-000-surgery-remove-FOUR-ribs.html

Can you actually get crabs from using public toilets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Yester wrote: »
    Can you actually get crabs from using public toilets?

Only the ones at the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Joe prim wrote: »
    The same thing happened to my cousin by marriage's next door neighbour

Seems legit :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

Can a rat actually find it's way up through the pipes and it's only way out is through your toilet while you are defecating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

This one was very common during the Celtic Tiger. A couple are getting married and get a call from Ashford Castle/ Castle Leslie where they have booked their reception. They are asked if they can move their wedding date as David & Victoria Beckham/ Paul & Heather McCartney are renewing their vows/ getting married, and want the hotel for that exact date. But they are willing to pay for the couple's wedding in full, including honeymoon. Happened to many friends of friends, so a lot of free weddings round that time

Oh Jesus............I actually fell for that one. Believed it until right now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

greenspurs wrote: »
    Yep, heard that , A co worker said it was her sons friend was asked to move their wedding , but it was for Frank Lampard and Whatever her name is ??

That was it. Lamps & Missus Lamps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

That's true.
    Except it happened in Cork and it was a rat.

I heard it was a badger in Sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can a rat actually find it's way up through the pipes and it's only way out is through your toilet while you are defecating?
    Theoretically, yes. As in, that is a physical act of which rats are capable.

This is more common in the US (though still quite rare) because of the way they build stuff. I've never heard of it in Ireland.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That Pele got his name from an Irish priest who started calling him 'peil'

Also that Socrates studied medicine in UCD and played for UCD reserves, there's a story that Xavi Alonso played Gaelic Football in Meath as an exchange student, as far as I know that's true.

seamus wrote: »

This is more common in the US (though still quite rare) because of the way they build stuff. I've never heard of it in Ireland.

It still scares the **** out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

hehhehe, well, saves on the laxatives so.

Also heard this story, from the son of the man to whom it allegedly happened. In Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Also that Socrates studied medicine in UCD and played for UCD reserves, there's

the Socrates? The one of a few hundred years BC Socrates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I'll take rats over snakes any day of the week

snake_in_toilet.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,702 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

wexie wrote: »

NOOO !!!
    Shur they had no reserve team in UCD back then ................... ;)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The removed rib to suck his own dick myth, in my day it was Prince but I've heard Marilyn Manson too.

Twas Michael Jackson when I was a pup

• Advertisement

I'll take rats over snakes any day of the week

snake_in_toilet.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

the problem here is that it cannot be determined when the snake actually arrived. Was it just before someone went to use the loo, while they were there, or afterwards. Presumably it could make its appearance while you're taking care of business so to speak. So, when using the loo, probably best to sit well back, lean forward and peer between the legs whenever you're seated on the loo. Removing a lower rib will make this much more comfortable. (which is apparently much more common than one might imagine - according to myth).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Allinall

Also that Socrates studied medicine in UCD and played for UCD reserves, there's a story that Xavi Alonso played Gaelic Football in Meath as an exchange student, as far as I know that's true.

The Xabi Alonso bit is definitely true.

I know because my cousins daughter snogged him at an alcohol free disco one night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Sócrates was a Doctor. I think he studied here for a time. That was definitely a story that went around in the 80s/90s that a twenty year old Socrates had sat on the bench as a sub during league of ireland matches. For added humor the Coach telling him 'you'll never make it as a footballer son'

Such a great story you'd want it to be true, was very disappointed when I found out that was a myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've never heard of any other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Grayson wrote: »
    I've never heard of any other.

Socrates (c. 469 BC – 399 BC) was an ancient Athenian philosopher.

Socrates, Sokrates or Sokratis may also refer to:

Contents
    1 People
    1.1 Ancient Greeks
    1.2 In Christianity
    1.3 Athletes
    1.4 Politicians, soldiers and businesspeople
    1.5 Writers
    1.6 Other
    2 In literature
    3 In entertainment
    4 Other uses
    5 See also
    People
    Ancient Greeks
    Socrates of Achaea (c. 436–401 BC), mercenary general of the Ten Thousand
    Socrates of Macedon (4th century BC), a hipparchos or cavalry officer in Alexander the Great's army
    Socrates the Younger (4th century BC), Athenian philosopher
    Socrates Chrestus (died 90-88 BC), Greek prince and King of Bithynia
    In Christianity
    martyrs Socrates and Stephen
    Socrates of Constantinople (born c. 380), also known as Socrates Scholasticus, a Byzantine church historian
    Socrates B. Villegas (born 1960), Roman Catholic archbishop in the Philippines
    Athletes
    Sócrates (1954–2011), Brazilian football player
    Socrates Brito (born 1992), Dominican baseball player
    Sokratis Boudouris (born 1977), Greek football player
    Sokratis Dioudis (born 1993), Greek football goalkeeper
    Sokratis Fytanidis (born 1984), Greek football player
    Sokratis Lagoudakis (1861–1944), Greek track athlete
    Sokratis Papastathopoulos (born 1988), Greek football player
    Sokratis Tsoukalas (born 1992), Greek football player
    Politicians, soldiers and businesspeople
    José Sócrates (born 1957), Prime Minister of Portugal (2005–2011)
    Socrates N. Sherman (1801–1873), U.S. Representative from New York and American Civil War officer
    Socrates Nelson (1814–1867), American businessman and politician
    Sócrates Rizzo (born 1945), Mexican politician
    Sokrates Starynkiewicz (1820–1902), Russian general and mayor of Warsaw
    Sokratis Kokkalis (born 1939), Greek businessman and billionaire
    Writers
    Sócrates Nolasco (1884-1980), writer from the Dominican Republic
    Sokratis Giolias (1973–2010), assassinated Greek journalist
    Sokratis Skartsis (born 1936), Greek poet
    Other
    Sokratis Malamas (born 1957), Greek singer/songwriter
    Socrates Hotchkiss Tryon, Sr. (1816-1855), American pioneer physician in the Oregon Territory
    Jeanne Socrates (born 1941 or 1942), British yachtswoman and solo circumnavigator
    In literature
    Socrates, the name used by Petrarch in his writings to refer to his dear friend Lodewijk Heyligen
    Socrates, a pseudonym for the mentor-like figure in the books of Dan Millman
    In entertainment
    Socrates (Voltaire), a play
    Socrates (film), a 1971 film directed by Roberto Rossellini
    Socrates Drank the Conium (sometimes abbreviated to "Socrates"), a Greek rock band
    VTech Socrates, an educational video game system
    Socrates II, a chess-playing computer program
    Socrates "Cooch" Windgrass, a character in the comic strip Footrot Flats
    Socrates, the lion from the film Animals United
    Other uses
    Socrates programme, a European education programme
    SOCRATES (satellite), a Japanese satellite
    Socrates (pain assessment), a mnemonic used in the evaluation of a patient's pain
    Project Socrates, a classified US Defense Intelligence Agency program established in 1983
    Socrates (sculpture), a 1950 outdoor sculpture by artist W.V. Casey
    Socrates Sculpture Park, New York City
    Socrates Mountain, a mountain in West Virginia

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

A girl goes out for the night.

When she comes back home in the early morning hours, she doesn't want to wake her roommate up, so she leaves the lights off and just goes to bed.

In the morning when she wakes up, she finds her roommate in her blood-soaked bed with her throat slit. N

There is a note next to the body saying "lucky you didn't turn the lights on".

I've had numerous people telling me that this has 100% happened and that they never caught the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Wasn't there always a haunted house in college towns that involved some students and their bad experience with a Ouija board?
    Before I started at my secondary school, there were rumours of teachers being into voodoo/black magic (same thing obviously), looks like that one was a l ate piggy back arrival from the 80's satanic scares from the US.

Also from reading the hilarious facebook thread, this one is starting to do the rounds in Ireland.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/westfield-mall-abduction/

There used to be a real weird guy who would dress up in weird clothes and go into children houses in the night and leave little surprises for them, with their names written on them and all, creepy f*cker. I think it happened round Christmas time.
    Allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

Also when I came to Ireland and moved to Cork, the story making rounds amongst us foreigners was that anyone who is not from there enters Knocknaheeny, they will be stabbed within minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The Mayo footballers curse is a big one. It's often repeated nowadays but it took people a long time to agree what town they allegedly disrespected a funeral in. Now people usually say Foxford but when I was a kid it was Tarmonbarry in Roscommon. The latter makes a lot more sense as it is actually on the way from Dublin to Castlebar, whereas a Mayo team returning from Croker wouldn't pass through Foxford. Also, a similar myth was originally applied to the Galway hurlers in the 1970s but then got put on Mayo after Galway won in 1980.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭francis1978

Allinall wrote: »
    The Xabi Alonso bit is definitely true.

I know because my cousins daughter snogged him at an alcohol free disco one night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

seamus wrote: »

You have now..
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/man-rushed-to-hospital-after-he-suffered-rat-bite-while-sitting-on-toilet-councillor-34641842.html

WARNING! GRAPHIC PHOTOS!

Love the advice at the end, literally..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Someone rear ends another car in traffic and waits nervously for the driver to get out and read them the riot act. Nothing happens, not a peep from the car. They get out and approach the car and find the driver slumped over the wheel with their finger jammed up their nose. They had been picking their nose and the impact shoved the finger up further and knocked them out.
    As told to my class in the 80s by a teacher when we were discussing urban legends.

Paddy Cow wrote: »

There's also one in my kitchen. What am I gonna do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLoXFmJBvlk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    Someone rear ends another car in traffic and waits nervously for the driver to get out and read them the riot act. Nothing happens, not a peep from the car. They get out and approach the car and find the driver slumped over the wheel with their finger jammed up their nose. They had been picking their nose and the impact shoved the finger up further and knocked them out.
    As told to my class in the 80s by a teacher when we were discussing urban legends.

That reminds me of the schoolchild who committed suicide by sticking 2 pencils up his nose and slamming his face into the desk - happened a few years ago and a couple of schools over.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭the14thwarrior

That reminds me of the schoolchild who committed suicide by sticking 2 pencils up his nose and slamming his face into the desk - happened a few years ago and a couple of schools over.

pull the lead out!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya I heard that just before I say my inter cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Rubberlegs wrote: »

That reminds me of the bloke who was killed when a bus ran over his little finger.
    Apparently he was picking his nose at the time.

• Advertisement

I was driving at night through some forest in the back arse of nowhere in America. I saw someone lying on the road and I was going to stop and help them but got spooked and drove on. As I looked in my rear view mirror, I saw the person get up off the road and some more people appear from the trees. I shudder to think what would have happened if I had been a good samaritan.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There is a note next to the body saying "lucky you didn't turn the lights on".

This I don't believe! Hard enough to find a biro that hasn't run out, a pencil with a nib or a marker that hasn't dried out in any dwelling let alone someone who has just carved up a woman in the dark and trying not to fall over furniture in the dark and make no noise manages to find a working pen, paper and leave a note.

Ya I heard that just before I say my inter cert.

I heard the pencils up the nose one specifically about this lad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S6N_gQPYIM

He's got his own article on Snopes, though I'm not sure if the apparent method of suicide is mentioned. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mikemac2 wrote: »
    The yanks on bus eireann who passed Bunratty Castle and remarked it was clever the castle was built so close to Shannon airport

Meh, the Brits have the same about Windsor castle and Heathrow
    The way i heard it was two yanks were at Windsor castle and one said to the other, "Those Brits are so stupid. Who the f*ck builds a castle under the flight path of the busiest airport in Europe. "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

A couple went from Dublin to Northern Ireland in the 1980s and bought a television set. When the got home they discovered that their new television set was missing from the car. The next morning a guy arrives at the door with the television set and hands over an envelope. In the envelope was a note saying "sorry, took it for a bet. Just a bit of fun." As a peace offering please accept the enclosed theatre tickets. When they were at the theatre, their house was robbed, to the last stick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Yes. I have a frightening story about work that has left me scarred for life.Only mentally thank God. But yes. If the rat stopper valve in the drain was never installed and there are old or broken pipes and cavities underground - yes. Cant remember the right name for the rat stopper valve. It is supposed to let only fluids and solids one way out. 😲

• Advertisement

Dark one. My violent neighbour tried this on me recently - I have a cat that does this.

Urban Legend:
    Person sitting in house alone. Dark night outside. They hear sound of baby /cat crying from the porch outside and.get up and open door - get chopped up/murdered/soul taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If the rat stopper valve in the drain was never installed

If ? they wouldn't be fitted at all until an episode of scrotum biting occurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

That Paul from the 'Wonder Years' grew up to be Marilyn Manson.

That the pipes at Rainbow Rapids Water Slides were not attached together properly (imperfect joins) so kids scraped the skin off their spine and one boy lost a finger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

If you say 'Candy man' five times in the mirror he will appear.

If you run around the Hell Fire Club three times the devil will appear. Or was that Mikey Graham from Boyzone? Him or the devil, one or the other.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    That Paul from the 'Wonder Years' grew up to be Marilyn Manson.

That the pipes at Rainbow Rapids Water Slides were not attached together properly (imperfect joins) so kids scraped the skin off their spine and one boy lost a finger.

The second one is true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement