Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue lighting system

Options
  • 22-06-2018 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭

Just putting this up there in case there are any parents that are interested in it.
    Both our sons are on the spectrum and the eldest has aspergers.
    He's prone to sudden outbursts and can get violent while so.
    Recently he started waking up earlier and I had been looking at the philips hue lighting system to see if I could use this to help manage his mood swings better and help him sleep better at night.

What it is: Philips hue is a colour lighting system by philips.
    It can be white or you can get the more expensive rbg colour bulbs.
    The start kit comes with a network bridge that plugs into your router if you want to control it externally for security reasons etc.
    You can control is manually with dimmer switches specially for it, via the apps on your smart phone or by voice control through iphone, amazon or google.
    More information can be found in this thread.

The starter kit which comes with a bridge, dimmer switch and 3 x colour buttons is around €170 on amazon and about €209 in the shops here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057668794

https://www2.meethue.com/en-us

What it can do for you: Its early days yet but I've set up a colour light in his room with a sensor which turns on blue during the night for any movement or if he awakes up. He associates blue with tiredness etc so he might go to the toilet if needed and then immediately back to sleep. Whereas before he would be running or jumping around his room or looking for his ipad.
    I've it set up to display blue zone from 7pm-7am and its green zone outside of these times. So far all week since we put it in he's been sleeping in till 8am or so every morning so fingers crossed.

Another use was to manage him when he got into the red zone ie violent/roaring or screaming etc.
    The hallway light is set to Red and if he has an outburst I turn it on and try and talk him through the colour zones. I let him control the lights on my phone and he can take it from red/yellow/blue and back to the green zone as he starts to calm down. So far he's only had a minor outburst so the jury is still out but I'm hoping this will all pan out.
    I'll keep this updated to see how it all works out for him and us.

The cost is €170 on Amazon for the starter kit. Its about €200 in the shops here.
    This gets you 3 x colour lights, a dimmer switch and the hue network hub which can control upto 80 lights.
    Even if you didn't have internet etc you can still set up a wireless router in your house and connect the hue bridge to it so you can still use it internally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

So far it’s been excellent at managing his meltdowns. He had one particular bad episode and we changed his bedroom bulb to red and let him act out for a minute before changing it to yellow and then blue to go to sleep. Worked a treat as he was very bad.
    I’ve set up routines for both their bedrooms to go blue just before they go to bed and it’s on for about 30 mins.
    I also added a sensor to his room if he wakes up during the night it will turn on the light very low and colored blue so he knows it’s still bedtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We’re supposed to physically respond in the opposite way to different coloured light. Red is restful and blue stimulating. That’s why there is a blue light filter (night mode) on a lot of portable electronic devices.

We have a hue light and Alexa. Handy to have the voice control and red light as night light.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

We’re supposed to physically respond in the opposite way to different coloured light. Red is restful and blue stimulating. That’s why there is a blue light filter (night mode) on a lot of portable electronic devices.

We have a hue light and Alexa. Handy to have the voice control and red light as night light.

Yeah Alexa would be handy alright.
    I do have the sensors alright but need more
    Interesting about the colors. I must check up on it.

Advertisement