Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike or upgrade

Options
  • 22-06-2018 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I have an entry level felt road bike a couple of years (2010). Tiagra components, (complete with granny chain ring, 3 x 9speed) aluminium frame and carbon fork and seat post. Wheels are stock and it's been good for me so far.

I am thinking of upgrading, or, going all out and getting a new bike. If I was getting a new bike I'd probably go all in and get carbon frame and ultegra.

I'm looking for advice.

I recently got a giant hybrid for the daily commute with 105 which is why I feel the road bike now is a step down.

I have a bad back so a sportive type frame I have in mind. Say giant defy advanced pro 1 3,599 or canyon endurance sl 8.0? Any recommendations or feedback?

I weigh 95kg and will be using the bike for my own spins up howth and the odd sportive any bike will be far beyond my capabilities but just thing upgrading my own would get less bang for buck than a new bike?

For practicality if buying canyon as I am not mechanically minded, who would you recommend to assemble?

Also i am Dublin 9 based and 6" 3 so any recommendations for a l.b.s. to try fit before I'd buy?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't see much benefit in trying to upgrade an 8 year old entry level bike, you could just end up with a trigger's broom.

though the cheapest significant upgrade could be wheels - though i'm not sure what 9 speed compatible wheels there are which would be worth upgrading to. what's the frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You could use John from www.Bikefix.ie he can assemble at your home or take it away and do it.

Cylesuperstore - Tallaght
    Base2race - Ballymount
    Wheelworx - Liffey Valley
    Humphries - Finglas

Lots more around

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭KFed

It's a felt z80. At the time it was about 1k I think. I do like the bike but feel I've gotten my money's worth and in upgrading it I would just be wasting money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

New bike, you know you want to

Was looking at both the giant and canyon when picking my new bike.(went for a different bike in the end)

The giant comes tubeless at the start and personally I think it looks better, but the canyon is cheaper even with the Di2 version

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Assembling a Canyon is not a big deal, no need to get a mechanic.
    All that needs to be done is rotate and tighten the handlebars and install pedals.
    Canyon even supply a basic torque wrench.

• Advertisement

Boscoirl wrote: »

Was looking at both the giant and canyon when picking my new bike.(went for a different bike in the end)

The giant comes tubeless at the start and personally I think it looks better, but the canyon is cheaper even with the Di2 version

What bike did you go with in the end? Any particular reason you overlooked the giant?

What bike did you go with in the end? Any particular reason you overlooked the giant?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Went for a different Giant in the end.

Giant Propel Advanced Disc

Way too much bike for me

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Went for a different Giant in the end.

Giant Propel Advanced Disc

Way too much bike for me

Then the bike I have is way too much for me too. Top frame, bought used but in great condition, as used in the pro peleton a few years ago. I raced a little and was no good. But I love my bike and I am worth it!

Advertisement