Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Willow Park in Athlone

Options
  • 22-06-2018 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have seen some old threads saying to not live in Willow Park in Athlone, however, I am wondering if the area is still very rough or if it has improved? I am looking to rent here only for about 2 months but is this a bad idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I might be working on old data here but, the further from the roundabout you go in, the worse it gets.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

It's become quite run down in the past few decades. I'm not sure if it's as rough as people make it out to be. It could be, but I don't spend that much time that side of town, so I wouldn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Must take a spin around that side of town during the week. I love how the Google street view car hasn't been there in 7 years :P but I'm sure it's been cleaned up since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

The house near the end of the road is done up well though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been cleaned up since then.

I doubt it - people have bought houses there this year for less than 70K:
    http://www.daft.ie/price-register/westmeath/athlone/willow/?keyword=Willow&min_price=25000&max_price=5000000&sortby=sold_date-desc

I've seen the small red houses in the back go for way less. 2 significantly damaged houses sold for €10,000 each.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Its very sad to see Willow in that state. Was such a nice place to live years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Its very sad to see Willow in that state. Was such a nice place to live years ago.
    Agreed. I remember quite a few from school living there when I was growing up, it was a lovely place in the early 90's. Many of my friends' families took in a student from the "RTC" as it was back then which helped with money and a bit a babysitting. I grew up in the sticks but when I was visiting friends in Willow it was so safe to play outside, run about, go to the shop etc. Mid to late 90's everyone I knew moved out and the students took over the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'd avoid it tbh, some streets might be ok but I'd worry about keeping anything worth stealing in the house if it was me. might be worth taking a chance for a couple of months if you were stuck though. again only going by the old rep of the place but looking at it I cant imagine it's improved to live there. also had family living there when it was first built, once landlords started buying up the area but not living there it went downhill rapidly which was a pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 athlone town

Everyone replying here have not been down in willow in years obviously and are going by its old reputation and Google maps that are outdated,the area is a lot better and is safe,nearly all the houses that were destroyed in the estate have been bought and done up,proof is in the pudding when the rent is approximately €1400 a month for a house when sharing,to answer your question though you will find it near impossible to get anywhere in willow for just a couple of months.last time I was in willow driving around was this week so I know,you will find it hard to rent anywhere in Athlone as there is very little choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Everyone replying here have not been down in willow in years obviously and are going by its old reputation and Google maps that are outdated,the area is a lot better and is safe,nearly all the houses that were destroyed in the estate have been bought and done up,proof is in the pudding when the rent is approximately €1400 a month for a house when sharing,to answer your question though you will find it near impossible to get anywhere in willow for just a couple of months.last time I was in willow driving around was this week so I know,you will find it hard to rent anywhere in Athlone as there is very little choice.

Nope....

https://goo.gl/maps/8peNrxDE3vt

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Advertisement