Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Phone obsession

• 22-06-2018 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I'm very surprised there is no similar thread. Anyway, what annoys me no end is most people's complete and unhealthy obsession with their Smartphones. In the work place it is damn annoying, but thankfully I rarely see anybody using their phones, expect at break times. On public transport like the bus or the Luas it is especially obvious, but much more so on the Luas. My phone is quite oldschool, and I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon. I can get the internet on my phone, but I'd rather not as I feel too hemmed and boxed in, and I would much prefer to be on my desktop PC instead.

Anytime I'm on the Luas I always make sure to have a small book or a magazine to read which might seem somewhat blasphemous and rebellious to society. I actually got a few odd looks when I had one of my books with me on the Jury service. It's also very rude and annoying to see phones on the table, because to me that is a form of body language, or another way of saying what is on the phone is more important than you. I only use my phone as a means to an end for just making calls/receiving calls, texting and an odd bit of photography, but even my camera although it's about ten years old, is still almost higher megapixel/resolution than even the latest smart phone. Maybe I'm just too oldschool, as I grew up in the 80's. So what is your opinion on this subject?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I'm very surprised there is no similar thread. Anyway, what annoys me no end is most people's complete and unhealthy obsession with their Smartphones. In the work place it is damn annoying, but thankfully I rarely see anybody using their phones, expect at break times. On public transport like the bus or the Luas it is especially obvious, but much more so on the Luas. My phone is quite oldschool, and I have no intention of upgrading anytime soon. I can get the internet on my phone, but I'd rather not as I feel too hemmed and boxed in, and I would much prefer to be on my desktop PC instead.

Anytime I'm on the Luas I always make sure to have a small book or a magazine to read which might seem somewhat blasphemous and rebellious to society. I actually got a few odd looks when I had one of my books with me on the Jury service. It's also very rude and annoying to see phones on the table, because to me that is a form of body language, or another way of saying what is on the phone is more important than you. I only use my phone as a means to an end for just making calls/receiving calls, texting and an odd bit of photography, but even my camera although it's about ten years old, is still almost higher megapixel/resolution than even the latest smart phone. Maybe I'm just too oldschool, as I grew up in the 80's. So what is your opinion on this subject?

Live and let live.

You're supposed to listen to the evidence when you serve on a jury, not read a book!

Phones are a source of entertainment and information and the perfect distraction during a commute on public transport.

Lots of people have smartphones and still read books, you don't have to pick a side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You could have had that book on your phone and saved yourself a bit of hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I read an article recently about teachers letting their little charges vent about how much they hate their parents being on their phones to the whole time. Seriously, little kids expressing hate for the phones and the fact that their parents spend hours gawping at their screens. That did give me pause. I’ll try and find the article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

You say you have a magazine or book on the Luas but sure most people are just reading something too. Like I read the Daily Mail Wall Street Journal app when I'm commuting. Saves me money too as it means not having to buy a copy the Daily Mail Wall Street Journal everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Reading a book or a magazine on public transport is blaphemous and rebellious to society?

Are you on hash lad?

It's extremely common, get your nose out of the books and you'll notice it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

True that

Sent from my iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

I get what youre saying

A lot of it is just bad manners particularly in company in a restaurant etc

People can be self absorbed in their phones oblivIous to whats going on around them

And of course dopes using their phones while driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

If you think smart phones are bad on public transport you probably aren't a fan of gaming handhelds either (Vita, Switch, PSP) They're lower down on the entertainment hierarchy. Reading other forums I see stories of folk really conscious of using them in public because it's not seen as a real thing for adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

If the phone is just a substitute of medium for a different content, then it's not too bad. But if it's just for accessing digital herpes, then it's a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Child of the 80s here too - observations of my Daughters (age 20) generation , nobody talking just staring into their phones manically typing, I say whatcha doin she says I'm texting her, pointing to mate beside her......oh look I'm too old to care (48) I just laugh at it all, Im the only sane one left!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Candie wrote: »
    You're supposed to listen to the evidence when you serve on a jury, not read a book!

Phones are a source of entertainment and information and the perfect distraction during a commute on public transport.

Lots of people have smartphones and still read books, you don't have to pick a side.
    What I meant to say is that I was reading a book during the waiting times in the main lobby, or at break times if nobody else was talking to me.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I read an article recently about teachers letting their little charges vent about how much they hate their parents being on their phones to the whole time. Seriously, little kids expressing hate for the phones and the fact that their parents spend hours gawping at their screens. That did give me pause. I’ll try and find the article.
    Those kids, and fair play to them are talking my language. And yes I would love to read that article.

What I meant to say is that I was reading a book during the waiting times in the main lobby, or at break times if nobody else was talking to me.

I know that, it was a little joke.

I agree that using smartphones for any length of time while in company is bad manners, but commutes are a perfect time to catch up on news etc. so it's very understandable that people use them at times like that.

I prefer my Kindle myself, but either way people are still reading.

I love smartphones. They have so many useful features and having one has enhanced my life greatly. But they have a few significant downsides.

I agree that staring at your phone on public transport is not a big deal. People have always ignored each other in that situation. It’s more when, for example, you see a group of friends in a pub or restaurant ignoring each other the WHOLE time and occasionally showing each other things on their phones. I witness this a lot and that’s their choice obviously but it dismays me a bit.

Or the whole ‘getting the selfie right’ dance. Some of my friends are desperate for this; take selfie, check it, take selfie, check it etc. etc. I want to say “We look shite in all of them!”. :) Selfies are pretty much always unflattering.

And the whole conversation-killing ‘Let’s look that up’ thing. My sister always thinks she’s right, always, and if there is some casual dispute or uncertainty in conversation, you can actually visually see her disengage from conversation. Next thing the phone is out and she’s looking it up. If she wrong, nothing is said. If she’s right, she’ll cut into conversation with the correction even if the conversation has moved on or if it just wasn’t that big a deal or very interesting. BEING RIGHT IS MORE IMPORTANT. :D Pre-smartphone, that conversation would have coasted right on.

Reading a book or a magazine on public transport is blaphemous and rebellious to society?

Are you on hash lad?

No I

Are you on hash lad?

Are you on hash lad?

You can't beat a good book though.8-)
    Those kids, and fair play to them are talking my language.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Internetting on a 2" x 2" screen would do the boxed in feeling alright :-D

The phone on the table is a gas observation. True too. Guilty of it myself though not intended. And picking it up to google facts/news related to the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

No but you do if your walking towards me on a footpath. Nothing more irritating than having to say look up as they’re about to walk into me.

I work on my phone but still respect people enough to acknowledge them vs something on face book, insta or twatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

people read books and newspapers on their phones. That’s probably what half or more what people are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Who is more antisocial; someone with a phone reading a news paper or some twat with a broadsheet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Someone reading broadsheet on their phone.

I love smartphones. They have so many useful features and having one has enhanced my life greatly. But they have a few significant downsides.

I agree that staring at your phone on public transport is not a big deal. People have always ignored each other in that situation. It’s more when, for example, you see a group of friends in a pub or restaurant ignoring each other the WHOLE time and occasionally showing each other things on their phones. I witness this a lot and that’s their choice obviously but it dismays me a bit.

Or the whole ‘getting the selfie right’ dance. Some of my friends are desperate for this; take selfie, check it, take selfie, check it etc. etc. I want to say “We look shite in all of them!”. :) Selfies are pretty much always unflattering.

And the whole conversation-killing ‘Let’s look that up’ thing. My sister always thinks she’s right, always, and if there is some casual dispute or uncertainty in conversation, you can actually visually see her disengage from conversation. Next thing the phone is out and she’s looking it up. If she wrong, nothing is said. If she’s right, she’ll cut into conversation with the correction even if the conversation has moved on or if it just wasn’t that big a deal or very interesting. BEING RIGHT IS MORE IMPORTANT. :D Pre-smartphone, that conversation would have coasted right on.

Yes I agree in company it’s bad, but actually I dont see it that often. It’s a fantasy that pubs are eerily quiet because, although crowded, everybody is on their phone abd not taking to each other. Occasionally people do consult their phones in conversation - probably to score a point (like your sister) or get the results of a game etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have no smartphone. Initially cost but then the points others make.
    I have 2 cellphones; bought the 2nd when I was stuck out here with no power so I could always have one charged with the kindness of my neighbour the ferry man. One cost E10, the other, a little more sophisticated E15, tesco mobile ie it has a camera. ;)

Seeing folk walking along the street lost in a world of smartphone. Oblivious to their surroundings.. And to other folk.

Used to be like that at Craft Fairs, in slow periods. Heads down.. sometimes had to alert other sellers they had customers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Another oldschooler here who grew up in the 80s. Sometimes I feel I am such a dinosaur but I have never seen the appeal of Facebook, Snapchat etc, I tried very hard but could never get into it. i don't even take photos on my phone, just not arsed. My two eldest are glued to their phones a lot of the time, I accept it is all they know and that is fair enough and I understand that but I kind of feel sorry about it. I understand it less in my generation though. I would be quite content with a phone that just made/received calls and texts. But as another poster said, live and let live, it is the norm these days.

Yes I agree in company it’s bad, but actually I dont see it that often. It’s a fantasy that pubs are eerily quiet because, although crowded, everybody is on their phone abd not taking to each other. Occasionally people do consult their phones in conversation - probably to score a point (like your sister) or get the results of a game etc.

I unfortunately do see tables of friends ignoring each other but I have to say, it’s very much slanted towards teens and twenty-somethings. That makes me sad though. My friends and I might have talked some shite on nights out in our late teens and early twenties but it was fun shite! :D It’s such a carefree time. Don’t waste it gawping at a screen.

I think there's even a big difference between the average 30 year olds phone use in social situations and the average 20 year old.

One thing I really hate is people taking my photo without asking or even just warning me, as well as the taking twenty minutes to take a group photo that everyone is happy with, as mentioned before.

It's usually not such a special event that it absolutely has to be memorialized anyway.

McCrack wrote: »
    I get what youre saying

A lot of it is just bad manners particularly in company in a restaurant etc

People can be self absorbed in their phones oblivIous to whats going on around them

And of course dopes using their phones while driving
    I agree. I think smartphones may make people have less empathy towards fellow travelers/people. Especially if they are too self-absorbed in whatever they are looking at. For example, if I was waiting at either a luas/bus stop and some scumbag robbed something from a person, I would run after them and get the item back by extreme force.

I agree. I think smartphones may make people have less empathy towards fellow travelers/people. Especially if they are too self-absorbed in whatever they are looking at. For example, if I was waiting at either a luas/bus stop and some scumbag robbed something from a person, I would run after them and get the item back by extreme force.

That’s internet talk.

One thing I do when commuting is read this site. Now, is that good or bad. Remember you read and post here too.

I’m also on my phone here as the WC games a bit boring and the missus is in another room.

I never use it in company though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Leilak wrote: »
    Child of the 80s here too - observations of my Daughters (age 20) generation , nobody talking just staring into their phones manically typing, I say whatcha doin she says I'm texting her, pointing to mate beside her......oh look I'm too old to care (48) I just laugh at it all, Im the only sane one left!!

How did that not suck? I watched reeling in the years --lots of appalling looking wool jumpers, moving statues etc. No mobiles, very restricted selection of TV viewing, no internet, low tech computer games etc. Black and white newspapers. Be honest -- ye were bored out of your heads half the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

When I read this I agreed completely with what u are saying. I was so absorbed I nearly missed my turn off the motorway.

How did that not suck? I watched reeling in the years --lots of appalling looking wool jumpers, moving statues etc. No mobiles, very restricted selection of TV viewing, no internet, low tech computer games etc. Black and white newspapers. Be honest -- ye were bored out of your heads half the time.

Bored? No way. I go back to pre TV and we were never bored. knitting the jumpers took weeks ;)

Most of us had no phones at all. We had to walk to the nearest phone kiosk then queue.

We did not rely on these things of course and were more self sufficient and resourceful and read more.
    When I moved here last September, I was without electricity 5 months and no internet for another 2. When I got used to it it was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Graces7 wrote: »

Bored? No way. I go back to pre TV and we were never bored. knitting the jumpers took weeks ;)

Most of us had no phones at all. We had to walk to the nearest phone kiosk then queue.

We did not rely on these things of course and were more self sufficient and resourceful and read more.
    When I moved here last September, I was without electricity 5 months and no internet for another 2. When I got used to it it was grand

Back in the 1880s there were no phone kiosks, no electricity no internet. Everyone was more self sufficient and resourceful and read more.

Of course, back in the 1780s people had even less technology, and were more self sufficient and resourceful and reas more.

So on and so forth back to prehistoric ages when nobody had anything.

In years to come people will think whatever new technology comes out os ruining society and having a negative impact all the way up until the end of times.

Its a strange phenomenon that seems to have no self awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

No way. We got stuck into great sex in an era where you didn't need permission to try kiss/shag someone. If it wasn't wanted you got told to **** off. That was the end of it. No big #metoo bandwagon crap.

As for smartphones, if a lot of people who had them were actually smart, I doubt there would be a problem.

Sent from my HP Desktop PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

It would annoy me if someone did what your sistee does, as in saying nothing when they are wrong. But the ability to fact check something is surely a positive thing. Why would people want to have conversations where nobody knows if what anyone else is saying is true or not? It surely helps to stop the spread of false information and myths when someone cant come up with whatever they want to on the spot and not be allowed to be questioned or corrected.

Django99 wrote: »
    It would annoy me if someone did what your sistee does, as in saying nothing when they are wrong. But the ability to fact check something is surely a positive thing. Why would people want to have conversations where nobody knows if what anyone else is saying is true or not? It surely helps to stop the spread of false information and myths when someone cant come up with whatever they want to on the spot and not be allowed to be questioned or corrected.

In conversation, not always. It’s often not important who’s right and in social situations I’ve seem stimulating, spirited, jokey conversation killed by this kind of pedantic correcting. I’m talking things like correcting somebody’s age or something equally inconsequential or tedious. Give me a flowing conversation any day. And sometimes disputing something in conversation can throw up interesting tangents whereas just checking it prevents that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The reality is they're here to stay and it's not going to change. People is social situations contantly using them annoys me especially if I've gone out of my way to meet someone and they are constantly checking the phone. If I'm with people my phone doesn't leave my pocket even if it beeps for a message. I'll check the message when I go to the toilet or while I'm waiting at the bar. Having said that when I'm on the bus if it's a choice between staring out the window at nothing or reading stuff online the phone wins every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

A few years ago my sister was gifted an iPhone by her husband. A bill pay job. It wasn't long before it was cut off after running up a massive bill. She went all mad that day as she had no "internet". I asked her why the fook she thought she needed an iphone for the internet. But you do, she replied. I mentioned that she could've had a cheaper Android phone, but it flew so far over her head, I lost sight of it. The iphone is now on pay as you go. The same girl can't use a laptop, but went out and bought a nice desktop. I have never seen it switched on or her and the BIL on it. I know they aren't computer literate.

I respect people that can justify an expensive high end phone. But what pisses me off are people that use them as a status symbol, while all they do is use it for social media. A cheap smartphone will do the trick. As for photos, well the advent of the smartphone hasn't really improved peoples ability. I've seen better stuff from a disposable fuji film camera. Taking a decent selfie on one of those takes real talent.:D

Django99 wrote: »
    Back in the 1880s there were no phone kiosks, no electricity no internet. Everyone was more self sufficient and resourceful and read more.

Of course, back in the 1780s people had even less technology, and were more self sufficient and resourceful and reas more.

So on and so forth back to prehistoric ages when nobody had anything.

In years to come people will think whatever new technology comes out os ruining society and having a negative impact all the way up until the end of times.

Its a strange phenomenon that seems to have no self awareness.

Odd tack you have taken!

Just because technology exists does not mean we HAVE to use it. We can and do make judicious choices. Far more self awareness than you credit us with

And i never said it was better without cellphones; just different.

Don;t knock being self sufficient either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    No way. We got stuck into great sex in an era where you didn't need permission to try kiss/shag someone. If it wasn't wanted you got told to **** off. That was the end of it. No big #metoo bandwagon crap.

As for smartphones, if a lot of people who had them were actually smart, I doubt there would be a problem.

Sent from my HP Desktop PC.

I am definitely not smart enough in that way for a smartphone.My second phone the E15 one, is more than I can cope with. I cannot open messages on it and no way could I get my head round texting.. I use it for occasional outgoing calls only so no one has the number. Not switched on otherwise.

Would love right now to be able to move photos from the cell phone to this chromebook but it is defeating me . I have the cable etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement