Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair seating policy!

Options
  • 22-06-2018 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭

<Snipped the hyperbole>
    Booked a flight for family of 5 to Europe all teenagers and ourselves husband-wife . When I decline paying for seats on check in , it allocates 5 middle seats all over the plane ... none within talking distance of each other not to mind even 2 of the 5 together . Their aloghterim it appears is set to have families seated as far away from each other as possible and split up to individual seats ... all their short of doing is putting children in cages away from their parents ....
    Wouldn’t it be easier charge everyone extra fares when they book rather than forcing people to pay extra for their seats at check in and pi55ing people off ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Talk to Joe>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just pay the extra few euro and this won't be an issue. If your tickets cost an extra €10 each but you got to sit together would you have paid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Great policy. Peace and quiet for the flight.

One thing O'Leary got right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

What difference does it make if it was included as a hidden charge or an upfront one?

If I’m traveling alone I don’t care where I sit so I’m not going to pay extra for it. This system allows for you and me to get what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

If you were fully aware you had to pay for seat of your choice why didn't you just pay it? Why wait until you see as is most likely ye end up not together and then decide it's not worth paying for but it is worth logging onto an internet forum to whinge about!

Also if I'm travelling alone or with my partner (who I can bear to be separated from for a few hours!) then I do not want to pay extra so you and your teenagers can sit together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

bertsmom wrote: »
    Also if I'm travelling alone or with my partner (who I can bear to be separated from for a few hours!) then I do not want to pay extra so you and your teenagers can sit together!

Why would you have to pay more to automatically allocate groups together?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Just pay for the seats together and leave the internet in peace. This rubbish has been done to death online at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

hurler32 wrote: »

Wouldn’t it be easier charge everyone extra fares when they book rather than forcing people to pay extra for their seats at check in and pi55ing people off ??

If you don't like Ryanair's business model then find someone else to fly with.

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

hurler32 wrote: »
    Ryanair is up there with Donald Trump separating children from their families !
    Booked a flight for family of 5 to Europe all teenagers and ourselves husband-wife . When I decline paying for seats on check in , it allocates 5 middle seats all over the plane ... none within talking distance of each other not to mind even 2 of the 5 together . Their aloghterim it appears is set to have families seated as far away from each other as possible and split up to individual seats ... all their short of doing is putting children in cages away from their parents ....
    1.By chosing not to pay for seats you're the one who is separating them not Ryanair. The best/preferred seats are, naturally, reserved for those who pay.

2. You can pay for seats at the same time as you book the flights and they are often cheaper the earlier you book. You don't have to wait til you are checking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

The problem is that the system deliberately separates parties travelling together, including families, when there are ample seats together remaining. It is done to purposely force people to pay the extra. It's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Ryanair pro money seating policy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

My partner and her daughter flew to the UK yesterday with Ryanair. They assumed that as it was a thirteen year old girl and an adult they would be seated together. No. They were seated ten rows apart. Furthermore, they had to board the aircraft via separate stairways.

When my partner asked the assistance of the cabin crew for help to rectify this she was rebuffed and asked to take her seat as the flight was busy.

For her return tomorrow it turns out she is seated three rows away from her daughter. She will be attempting to rectify this at the airport.

Herself is, rightly, livid as
    1) The daughter is effectively an unaccompanied minor
    2) in the event of an aircraft emergency the splitting up of parents and children could be a health and safety issue
    3) The childs personal safety is at risk being seated ten rows away from her mum, and beside unknown adults.

I phoned the Aviation Regulator today. Lovely lady said not their responsibility; but that of the Irish Aviation Authority. The IAA didn’t take it seriously even though they are, by remit, responsible for aviation safety. (Interestingly, the IAA are also commercial in their operations as they set and receive landing charges with airlines etc. So, surely there is a conflict if they regulate the same airlines they have a commercial relationship with?)

Before those people come back and say pay your money please ask yourselves do an airline have a duty of care to the safety of their passengers ? I imagine if a thirteen year old girl was sexually assaulted on an aircraft where she had, intentionally, been separated from her guardian Ryanair would receive more adverse publicity.

AfterDusk wrote: »
    The problem is that the system deliberately separates parties travelling together, including families, when there are ample seats together remaining. It is done to purposely force people to pay the extra. It's disgusting.
    In what way are people "forced" to pay the extra?    Does the Ryanair website apply cyber clamps and forceps to travelling families' goolies?    If so, then I'd greatly appreciate some pictorial evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unaccompanied minors are actually allowed fly on their own. Ryanair however insists on 16+ so I find it odd they don't force a seat booking. They have a method for younger children, believe one adult has to pay and the kids are seated adjacent without another payment

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

There's a button there, you can select the seats you want, and pay extra.

When I travel alone or with my wife, I usually don't choose the seats as it doesn't really matter.

But I wonder, what kind of parent would not book seats to sit next to their 13 year old?

rosmoke wrote: »
    There's a button there, you can select the seats you want, and pay extra.

When I travel alone or with my wife, I usually don't choose the seats as it doesn't really matter.

But I wonder, what kind of parent would not book seats to sit next to their 13 year old?

Please re-read my comment before you react with an unthought out reply. Stupid, stupid and churlish post by you, sir.

Minister wrote: »
    My partner and her daughter flew to the UK yesterday with Ryanair. They assumed that as it was a thirteen year old girl and an adult they would be seated together. No. They were seated ten rows apart. Furthermore, they had to board the aircraft via separate stairways.

When my partner asked the assistance of the cabin crew for help to rectify this she was rebuffed and asked to take her seat as the flight was busy.

For her return tomorrow it turns out she is seated three rows away from her daughter. She will be attempting to rectify this at the airport.

2) in the event of an aircraft emergency the splitting up of parents and children could be a health and safety issue
    3) The childs personal safety is at risk being seated ten rows away from her mum, and beside unknown adults.

I phoned the Aviation Regulator today. Lovely lady said not their responsibility; but that of the Irish Aviation Authority. The IAA didn’t take it seriously even though they are, by remit, responsible for aviation safety. (Interestingly, the IAA are also commercial in their operations as they set and receive landing charges with airlines etc. So, surely there is a conflict if they regulate the same airlines they have a commercial relationship with?)

Before those people come back and say pay your money please ask yourselves do an airline have a duty of care to the safety of their passengers ? I imagine if a thirteen year old girl was sexually assaulted on an aircraft where she had, intentionally, been separated from her guardian Ryanair would receive more adverse publicity.

You don't think that some of the adverse publicity might also land on the shoulders of the adult who was too parsimonious to fork out a few euros extra in order to ensure that she sat beside her teenage daughter?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Take your teenage daughter out of the bubble wrap, she will survive a 1 hour flight sat by herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

AfterDusk wrote: »

Incorrect. The algoriam is ensuring that the seats remaining together are kept for those willing to pay for it. If you chose not to it will try and put you where it suits the system......so that as many seats remaining together are maintained for those who are actually willing to pay for the privilege.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Take your teenage daughter out of the bubble wrap, she will survive a 1 hour flight sat by herself.

She's not his daughter - she's his partner's daughter! If she was his daughter he'd probably have paid the extra charge.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Unaccompanied minors are actually allowed fly on their own. Ryanair however insists on 16+ so I find it odd they don't force a seat booking. They have a method for younger children, believe one adult has to pay and the kids are seated adjacent without another payment

Thanks for info. I will let herself know.

We try and avoid Ryanair but this time it was the most convenient. First time flying them in four years and as she is English are over and back to UK quite a bit. Try to avoid as they are bloody awful and, by all accounts, treat their staff poorly.

My thoughts are do they not have a duty of care for safety of younger customers and, thus, should not force parents to sit with younger children.

Again.........

It is the safety issue of a thirteen year old. If you are not a parent of a thirteen year old girl and commenting as a reaction - you haven’t a bloody clue what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Don't know what everyone's complaining about- I'd pay extra to get to sit away from the wife and kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

Don't know what everyone's complaining about- I'd pay extra to get to sit away from the wife and kids.

same haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

<snip>
    It's very clear when you book with Ryanair that if you don't pay the extra mula you don't get a booked seat. You can't miss it so that is careless on whoever made the booking. A lot of airlines allow children 12+ to fly alone and it doesn't seem to cause issues. People love to hammer Ryanair but in my experience Aer Lingus is no better and twice the price most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Thanks for info. I will let herself know.

We try and avoid Ryanair but this time it was the most convenient. First time flying them in four years and as she is English are over and back to UK quite a bit. Try to avoid as they are bloody awful and, by all accounts, treat their staff poorly.

My thoughts are do they not have a duty of care for safety of younger customers and, thus, should not force parents to sit with younger children.

As a former employee of Ryanair and I have a housemate who is currently employed by Ryanair they do not treat their staff badly.

Also the parents have a duty of care for their teenagers 1st and foremost. Although I’m quite confident that Ryanair got all the passengers to the destination as they have always done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Pay to seat together, sorted.

Again.........

It is the safety issue of a thirteen year old. If you are not a parent of a thirteen year old girl and commenting as a reaction - you haven’t a bloody clue what you are talking about.

So what you're actually arguing here is that Ryanair plc has a duty of care to a 13 year old passenger (who is travelling with one of her parents) that exceeds the duty of care that the parent has for the child? A parent who couldn't be arsed to fork out a few euro extra to ensure her own child's welfare!

I reckon that child should be rescued by Tusla because its mother evidently hasn't the competence to care for it seeing as she expects Ryanair to take on that responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Ryanair's policy is such that those who value cheap tickets get cheaper tickets and those who value sitting beside a particular person get to do so for a small fee. Both groups are happy and everyone has the choice. Some people want their cake and to eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Same, a few years ago I was travelling to London with my 2 daughters aged 11 and 16. I was seatd a few rows ahead of them and the man sitting next to them offered to exchange seats with me. I looked at him as if he was mad and said “no thanks, enjoy your flight”. I would have paid extra for that peace and quiet.

Advertisement