Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed out on promotion due to being on holidays

Options
  • 22-06-2018 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I have a concern about a promotion I went for and now I’m not being included.
    2 weeks ago I was asked by my manager if I would be away on holidays in early July. I explained I‘d be back the 5th July. My manager then went back to the screening team and advised them of this and was told that would be okay they could work around that.
    Last week I got called for an interview and on Tuesday received and email congratulating me on being pick for the job. It stated that the training would commence on the 2nd July.
    I responded instantly and advised them I was away on annual leave till 4th and would be back on the 5th July.
    Instantly to position was withdrawn.
    Can they do this??

Thanks in advance

PodgeW

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

It's hard to see why they can't, you are not being discriminated against and it's not illegal to withdraw a job offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not unknown for job offers to be withdrawn due to any number of reasons. I know of people who had Jon offers withdrawn as they needed to start on X date but their notice required a longer notice/gardening leave period.

This case wouldn't be so different in that you cannot start on the date they require, therefore offer is withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 PodgeW

Even though they had asked prior to been offered an interview and me telling them the dates I would be away and they saying they could work around that.. By the way this is all in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

PodgeW wrote: »
    I responded instantly and advised them I was away on annual leave till 4th and would be back on the 5th July.
    Instantly to position was withdrawn.
    Did you say yes or no to the job offer? Also, was the job time critical?

@the_syco The email didn't offer me the job it just told me congratulations I'm through and the training starts on the 2nd July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Even though they had asked prior to been offered an interview and me telling them the dates I would be away and they saying they could work around that.. By the way this is all in writing.

Your manager said they would try to work around your vacation, but it seems that was not possible, is the start date of the job (or the training) time sensistive.

Unless you think the timing was designed to remove from the candidate pool, not much you can do.

@GerardKeating..out of a panel of 50+, 34 were being promoted and the training is now set for Monday the 2nd. is it Time Sensitive I can't tell big corporation.  Regarding the reply my manager got when she advised of my holiday time was not "they would try to work around that" it was an assurance they could work around that.  If I had been told it was going to be a problem I wouldn't have gone for it this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

You need to ask yourself what's more important, a holiday or promotion. The withdrawal of a job offer breaks no laws.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sounds like a micky mouse operation. They arrange training for the height of the holiday season and only promote people who can turn up on a certain day... Not the place to build a long term career it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

@the_syco The email didn't offer me the job it just told me congratulations I'm through and the training starts on the 2nd July
    Check if all who got the training were promoted.

If they were, it was training. If some didn't get promoted, it would mean that the training was part of the interview process, and thus you not being there was automatic fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

34 people being promoted - something sounds a bit off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

They certainly can't reschedule 34 other people's training to suit you. Doesn't mater what the boss said or what you though. Either cancel the holiday or just accept bad timing that is no one's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Yes they can do this. Sucks but hopefully the next opportunity goes your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

is this training a pre-requisite for the job ? can you do the job without it ? if you can't, I would think they're entitled to put your promotion offer on hold.

- I wouldn't rely on verbal communication between current mgr and the screening team before the offer was made.
    but would you have kept the same manager after the promotion, cause if you did, was wondering if you mgr would have any input to all these decisions ?

when is the next training available ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think regardless if you eventually get the promotion I would be applying or other jobs, and leaving as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

This is the "world should revolve around me query" that pops up every so often in Jobs.... This is not a promotion in the normal sense. It's 34 people being reskilled to a higher skilled role. OP decides they want to take a holiday and thinks that the organisation should work it's schedule around them including the training programme.
    As for the poster saying its a mickey mouse operation. Clearly it's not if it's training 34 people at a time. You have no idea what the organisations training schedule, customer demand, availability is so you have no possibility of actually saying whether or not this is the right approach.
    OP - 33 other people decided the opportunity was important and made themselves available. You didn't. Your loss. You might have been unlucky that you had prebooked a holiday or you just believe the organisation should hold training for 33 people to suit you. Either way you have no entitlement to the role. You can either learn from that or make yourself into a problem who will be moved on quickly. But these are all your decisions and you should own them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

A place can be huge and still run badly. 34, 100, doesn't matter if they can't do things in a professional way.

They asked for the OP schedule then ignored it, then sent him a congratulatory email, then withdrew it.

Advertisement