Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

head melted please advise

Options
  • 22-06-2018 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭

Last November I bought 2 refurbished acer tablets for my two children as their gift from Santa. I got them online from buyitdirect.ie. Since December 2017 until last month I have couriered the tablets back to them in the UK because they do not work. They don't turn on without having to reset the whole tablet first. And that is IF they manage to turn on. I am blue in the face emailing them. They are refusing to refund me as the tablets were refurbished. They only send them for 'repair' when I courier them back, and they come back fully charged and ready to use and after one use we are back to square one, they don't work. I could just give up but I don't think its acceptable. Please advise me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

"You buy cheap, you buy twice". If I was you I would cut my losses and get the kiddies a decent tablet from a local retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,533 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Tell them you want a refund or will do a chargeback
    They're a big enough company and don't be fobbed off with "well it's second hand" - you still have pretty much the same rights.

But as wandatowell said...could have probably picked up a cheap tablet from the likes of Lidl and had no issues with any problems that may arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They are legally obliged to stand over the goods, it doesn’t matter that they were refurbished.

You are legally entitled to expect a repair to be permanent. If the same fault happens again, you can reject further offers of repair and instead look for a replacement or refund.

At this stage, I’d be going down the route of a registered letter giving them XX working days to resolve or else a small claims court case. You can find their business adddress by searching for Buy It Direct Ltd on the CRO website.

Alternatively, you can talk to your bank about a chargeback, see if it’s possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Well theres a shock i just got an email to say the have refunded me for one tablet imto my PayPal. Ive asked for the second one to be refunded too. Kids have a birthday party next weekend so i will put it towards that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

the law on used goods is different than new. You will do well to get both refunded.
    That said i find paypal are usually very good for changeback etc.

from CAI website.

"Your rights under the Act also apply to goods purchased at sale prices. They must be of merchantable quality, fit for their particular purpose and as described. If goods are being sold as seconds or shop-soiled, however, you cannot expect the same standard.

Id say you are entitled to redress; but 100% refund, that would be doing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

^^ Not necessarily. If the item was sold as refurbished, with the dealer standing over it, then you can have reasonable expectation that it would work as described and that your consumer rights still apply. There's a little more give and take, but you're still entitled to expect similar rights.

From CPCC
    When you buy a second-hand item from someone in business, you have similar rights to when you buy a new item. However, your rights very much depend on how much you paid for the item.

Any item you buy, including a second-hand item, must be fit for the purpose it has been sold for. It must also be as described to you, and the quality must be of an expected level, given the price you paid.

However you cannot expect second-hand goods to be of the same standard as new products.

Second-hand goods are “sold as seen”, so there may be some fault, imperfection or wear and tear. You need to examine the item carefully and ask the seller to point out any damage or imperfections. Make sure the item does what it is expected to do. For example, if it is a second-hand television set, check that the picture and sound are working correctly, the reception is clear and the remote control works as it should.

For some items, for example jewellery or antique furniture, you should get an expert opinion before you decide to buy. With second hand cars, you should follow our checklist on how to check out a car.

If the item turns out to be faulty, you have the right to return it to the business you bought it from and ask for a replacement, a repair or a refund.

Advertisement