Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drought/Low Rainfall Watch - Summer 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nothing at all in Kildare now. Dry

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just had our first drizzle shower of the day in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

10.6 mm so far in Oranmore

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 48,200 ✭✭✭✭km79

Pouring rain again ......

Satellite signal gone .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dry and sun and sweet kind wind. West Mayo, offshore island and very thankful for the rain and hoping for more for all here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Up to 6pm, stations have reported the following daily rainfall totals:

Casement Aerodrome - 0.6mm
    Claremorris - 11.0mm
    Cork Airport - 3.1mm
    Dublin Airport - 3.0mm
    Knock Airport - 12.0mm
    Finner Camp - 16.0mm
    Johnstown Castle - 0.9mm
    Malin Head - 14.0mm
    Mullingar - 6.0mm
    Shannon Airport - 7.0mm
    Valentia Observatory - 9.0mm

The absolute drought (at least 15 consecutive days with 0.2mm of rain or less) is officially over from a meteorological stand point.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mother Nature trying to make inroads into the drought up here in North Donegal, it's been raining most of the day, and it's a real heavy drizzle for the last 45 mins.

I see we are in 1st position on the previous post, no surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My 3 minutes of rain earlier seems to have been it. No more rain in Clondalkin. So disappointed.

Is there still drought/low rainfall warning? If so it is not visible on the old ME site, only a blight warning listed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

24-hr rainfall totals to 7 pm today. Up North the totals weren't so wee.

455854.PNG

• Advertisement

455854.PNG

we got around 15/20 mm in east galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,442 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I know it's the UK and not Ireland but the England and Wales precip data show four years comparable to 2018 (since 1931 when daily data began) for a long dry spell in late June and early July. Safe to say this one has lasted a bit longer than most of the others, which were in 1949, 1975, 1976 and 1995. All four of those years went on to later warm spells and dry weather after a period of at least some significant rainfall in mid to late July. So whether 2018 repeats this cycle or not remains to be seen. The dry weather of 1976 actually seemed to get worse after the July mini-reprieve which compared to the other three was the least amount of rain to follow the early summer drought. Late June of 1942 also had a ten day dry spell but it was not quite as significant as the four mentioned and was followed by quite a lot of rain.

Personally, I expect this coming slight improvement to continue off and on to one or two significant rainfalls around end of the month then perhaps back to a warm/dry spell in some part of August/September. But it's all in the hands of Putin and his weather machine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,556 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

Is the Bray Head fire still burning?
    Passed the site this evening towards dusk. Its essentially out but there were whiffs of smoke rising in several spots uncomfortably close to housing on the cliff house road. There wasn't much rain today in north Wicklow so it is hardly dampened down and another outbreak couldn't be ruled out. The gorse/forest fire on nearby Carrickgollogan must have been three weeks ago and it's still smouldering away too.

Most of the southern half of the Head is black though I've seen that before. What seems unusual about this fire was the sheer amount of smoke generated in a short time. Friends of mine in Bray were saying it was raining ash on Friday evening - I was out in Dun Laoghaire that evening and you could distinctly smell the smoke there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭BliainanAir

455854.PNG

Interesting graphic. With all due respect to the rest of the country, the real drought is in Leinster, east Munster. Mayo, Donegal and areas in the north west, west, south west, were always going to recover quickly

Connaught and Ulster were around the 50-60mm deficit level. Hector in June, and a little more rainfall in general in mid June, meant drought conditions weren't as severe there. It's much easier for those regions to recoup deficits with Atlantic systems tracking from south west to north east. In Leinster and parts of Waterford and Tipp deficits are 80-100mm. Leinster received 1-3mm today. A drop in the ocean of what's required.

Thundery weather from the south or an Atlantic regieme with the Jet over Ireland is the only quick fix for the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭pauldry

there was serious rain in Sligo last night.

Total was near 20mm

Then near 8mm today.

For Drought thats nearly 300per cent of whats needed per day for 2 weeks yesterday and 115 per cent today

All days Mon to Wed will be below normal drought days and esp so for Leinster. Only feel there will be 2 wet days until the end of July in Leinster until August

For Connaught and Ulstet prob 100 per cent until August so drought will be gone but ground a bit hard

pauldry wrote: »
    there was serious rain in Sligo last night.

Total was near 20mm

Then near 8mm today.

For Drought thats nearly 300per cent of whats needed per day for 2 weeks yesterday and 115 per cent today

All days Mon to Wed will be below normal drought days and esp so for Leinster. Only feel there will be 2 wet days until the end of July in Leinster until August
    For Connaught and Ulstet prob 100 per cent until August so drought will be gone but ground a bit hard

We are blessed indeed. Storm Hector made all the difference.

Hoping the blackberries are saved. They are green on the vines now. I have noticed these last years that whereas they used to be ripe in September, now it is August. consistently.

Quiet and grey and midgy here this morning. Darkening now with meaningful-looking cloud.

West Mayo, offshore island

And here comes the rain, right on cue... A loud, heavy shower..washing getting an extra rinse,,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rainfall totals for the last 2 days: Wesht was besht.

Athenry: 20.4mm
    Finner Camp: 17.1
    Malin Hd: 15.9
    Newport: 12.7
    Belmullet: 11.1
    Valentia: 11.1
    Ballyhaise: 10.3
    Mt. Dillon: 9.4
    Mace Hd: 8.8
    Markee Castle: 8.5
    Sherkin Is: 7.3
    Shannon Apt: 7.2
    Mullingar: 6.7
    Moorpark: 5.7
    Dublin Apt: 3.9
    Dunsany: 3.7
    Cork Apt: 3.0
    Gurteen: 2.9
    Johnstown Castle: 1.5
    Oak Park: 1.2
    Casement Aerodrome: 0.7.

Very low totals in the east overall, and while the 'official' drought may now be over (for now) I doubt that the actual drought is alleviated to any worthy extent in these most affected regions.

Data from Met Éireann.

Edit: My two day total came in at 17.8mm. Better than most, yet still feels remarkably lame.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Models are (yet again) backing away from any significant rain this week after previously showing a very wet end to the week. Next 10 days looking very dry away from the north and west coasts.

All subject to change again of course..

us_model_en_318_4_modez_2018071600_240_949_157.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Models are (yet again) backing away from any significant rain this week after previously showing a very wet end to the week. Next 10 days looking very dry away from the north and west coasts.

All subject to change again of course..

The ECM 15 dayer seems consistent on the theme for higher pressure to build over the greater east /northeast European region towards the end of the month, with weak troughing to our west and southwest. No clear signal as to which one will have the greater influence over us by then but from this early perspective, a warm, southerly theme seems to be one possible outcome with the chance of some showers.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I was speaking to a man from Southampton, who's over here on holiday. He was telling me that where he lives has been cremated with the heat. His allotment this year is dying a death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

hinault wrote: »
    I was speaking to a man from Southampton, who's over here on holiday. He was telling me that where he lives has been cremated with the heat. His allotment this year is dying a death.

Parts of southern and eastern England haven't had more than a few drops of rain all summer so far so they're faring even worse than us. Still no sign hosepipe bans though interestingly..

Here's the synops for Shoeburyness in Essex for example, its missing a report for the 13th of June when it seems there was a shower but apart from that not even 0.1mm of rain recorded since the start of June

https://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynres?lang=en&ind=03693&ndays=50&ano=2018&mes=07&day=16&hora=06&ord=REV&Send=Send

Scandanavia also in the midst of a historic drought

https://www.theepochtimes.com/extreme-weather-causes-severe-drought-in-scandinavia_2590442.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

3.4mm in Dublin 16 yesterday.

Total for July, so far, now stands at 4.2mm, following 8.0mm in June and 16.8mm in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

DOCARCH wrote: »
    3.4mm in Dublin 16 yesterday.

Total for July, so far, now stands at 4.2mm, following 8.0mm in June and 16.8mm in May.

Looks like the rainfall stats for Almeria or something similar :D And there are probably some locations that got even less rainfall than you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almer%C3%ADa#Climate

Parts of southern and eastern England haven't had more than a few drops of rain all summer so far so they're faring even worse than us. Still no sign hosepipe bans though interestingly..

about to happen it seems...

http://www.hosepipeban.org.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Some rain last night here in Wexford,not enough to have any impact.
    On the bypass works around Enniscorthy there are tankers constantly spreading water to keep the dust down, it's drying up and evaporated within minutes so it's a non stop process and a battle that the dry weather is winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,164 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some rain last night here in Wexford,not enough to have any impact.
    On the bypass works around Enniscorthy there are tankers constantly spreading water to keep the dust down, it's drying up and evaporated within minutes so it's a non stop process and a battle that the dry weather is winning.
    Same here. They are sucking the water out of the stream beside my house in order to keep the dust down in the building sites nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One of my neighbours is siphoning their huge paddling pool straight down the drain, they'd be better served to let it out onto the lawn.
    I wonder what they'll do next week if we get the projected return to hot weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

One of my neighbours is siphoning their huge paddling pool straight down the drain, they'd be better served to let it out onto the lawn.
    I wonder what they'll do next week if we get the projected return to hot weather.

What a waste . ! We used our pool water to water the flowers and what was left we put it in a water barrel to use again . The flowers were chuffed with the lovely sun warmed water !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Interesting graphic. With all due respect to the rest of the country, the real drought is in Leinster, east Munster. Mayo, Donegal and areas in the north west, west, south west, were always going to recover quickly

Connaught and Ulster were around the 50-60mm deficit level. Hector in June, and a little more rainfall in general in mid June, meant drought conditions weren't as severe there. It's much easier for those regions to recoup deficits with Atlantic systems tracking from south west to north east. In Leinster and parts of Waterford and Tipp deficits are 80-100mm. Leinster received 1-3mm today. A drop in the ocean of what's required.

Thundery weather from the south or an Atlantic regieme with the Jet over Ireland is the only quick fix for the south east.

From my travels definitely the south east- counties Kildare, Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford, Wexford, Laois, Wicklow and Dublin are by far the worst affected I think moreover the Barrow and Nore valleys and surrounds in particular are burnt to a crisp.
    Was up west at the weekend and there is absolutely no comparison- things are dry but not burned to a crisp (like the south east) and will be greened again by the nice drop of rain over the weekend (again the south east barely got a drop). Things could get critical in these counties (already are in ways) very soon. I've never seen the main rivers as low with many smaller tributaries dry or almost dry.

Advertisement