Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter bins outside supermarkets.

Options
  • 22-06-2018 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Black Bart

Can anybody tell me if supermarkets that sell food are obliged to supply litter bins for customers to dispose of their empty containers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Black Bart wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if supermarkets that sell food are obliged to supply litter bins for customers to dispose of their empty containers?

Interesting question. Can you tell us why you are asking it?

My tuppence worth is that there is no law obliging them to provide the bin but it helps to reduce instances of the scummier element throwing their rubbish around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Black Bart wrote: »

Supermarkets are not obliged to provide litter bins. They are however, like every other property owner obliged to keep their property free of litter and ensure that the curtliage around their property is litter free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

My guess is that people are throwing their household rubbish in bins outside retail outlets so that the impetus is to reduce their presence as much as possible to avoid shopkeepers having to pay for other peoples household waste.

You also see an increase in bags of household waste being left on the roads in places near urban centres, Baskin Lane near Kinsealey, Fingal and Tandys Lane, Lucan come to mind as two example I know of.

The reason for this is that there are no houses in line of sight of the dumpers and these roads are quiet enough for a quick release mission by the less scrupulous members of society.

It might prove better to treat bin waste like Irish Water but the EU won't allow this. Honest people have to cough up for waste collection and disposal while the dishonest people get away free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

There is not one single bin in Mullaghmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Whatever about supermarkets but would you believe there isn’t one litter bin anywhere near Markievicz Park? It’s an absolute disgrace. I’ve contacted the Borough Council but surprise surprise they’ve just ignored me. Mind you there’s nothing stopping the GAA just taking the initiative and arranging to instal about 2 bins. It would hardly break their budget!’

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

I think the issue is that many of the bins have been removed because people were dumping domestic refuse in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

You’re probably right-I never thought of that.

quote="dingding;107434387"]I think the issue is that many of the bins have been removed because people were dumping domestic refuse in them.[/quote]

dingding wrote: »
    I think the issue is that many of the bins have been removed because people were dumping domestic refuse in them.
    No, many of the bins were removed long before the domestic refuse charges. This is just an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Chinasea wrote: »
    No, many of the bins were removed long before the domestic refuse charges. This is just an excuse.

Wrong.
    Refuse charges were introduced in the 90's by way of a label or branded bags. The cheapskates then started putting their waste in public bins at beaches etc. resulting in the bins being removed.

• Advertisement

Not going to get into a black is white ping pong match, suffice to say, I returned from the US in the early 90's and was surprised to see how lacking in public bins the litter strewn parks, streets and alleyways were and are.

I took the matter politely up in various channels and was met with a heavy blanket of negativity. In my opinion, the whole local authority litter management is fraught with militant industrial relation issues. Extremely incestuous and dysfunctional.

I say it should be therefore privatised.

Looking at local authority workers (not saying they are ALL) Rabatt C. Nesbitts, but currently from what I can see is that the local authority workers themselves are usually local, and would have several family or generations of family members gainfully employed.

Yet, 95% of private cleaning is carried out by foreign nationals with obviously satisfactory results.

Not going to get into a black is white ping pong match, suffice to say, I returned from the US in the early 90's and was surprised to see how lacking in public bins the litter strewn parks, streets and alleyways were and are.

I took the matter politely up in various channels and was met with a heavy blanket of negativity. In my opinion, the whole local authority litter management is fraught with militant industrial relation issues. Extremely incestuous and dysfunctional.

I say it should be therefore privatised.

Looking at local authority workers (not saying they are ALL) Rabatt C. Nesbitts, but currently from what I can see is that the local authority workers themselves are usually local, and would have several family or generations of family members gainfully employed.

Yet, 95% of private cleaning is carried out by foreign nationals with obviously satisfactory results.

Nice use of PS generalisation and stereotyping there.
    😜

Nothing will change in Ireland until we address the elephants in the room. (In my opinion).

Nothing will change in Ireland until we address the elephants in the room. (In my opinion).

Agreed. Litter louts and illegal dumpers are the problem.

Advertisement