Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World cup 2030 Britan and Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ireland is utterly superfluous for this bid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

I'm all for us being part of this bid as long as it costs the irish taxpayer exactly zero and no money is spent on it by us and we just use existing stadia without any upgrades being made to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I see Sky News now saying that Theresa May says UK govt will support the bid.

Of course, you know that including Ireland is less about practical reasons and more about Brexit and encouraging the Irish onside!

We have two stadiums currently capable - Aviva and Croke Park.

Don't think Croke Park is suitable, unless they plan on closing the terraces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,940 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sugarman wrote: »

A joint England, Wales & Scotland is more than enough and the most likely outcome here. Little needs very done to accommodate it. It'll be 3 countries, same as 2026.. so 3 can qualify automatically as hosts (cant seeing 5 being allowed) ...and being on one island will go in its favour too.

That has nothing to do with the real reason they want Ireland involved. Although it's a very valid reason not to include us.

This is about Brexit - nothing more. They think by throwing sweets like this our way we will lighten up.

For that reason alone the govt should be wise to it and just say no to the FAI. If the UK come back to us with same idea (which they won't) in a year then i'd say go for it.

This is politically motivated nonsense trying to include the FAI and has no practical basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Its fine once theres temporary seating installed as there was for our games during Euro 2008 & World Cup 2010 qualifiers.

Doesnt matter tho because we or Northern Ireland wont be involved.

A joint England, Wales & Scotland is more than enough and the most likely outcome here. Little needs very done to accommodate it. It'll be 3 countries, same as 2026.. so 3 can qualify automatically as hosts (cant seeing 5 being allowed) ...and being on one island will go in its favour too.

Whilst I agree that Ireland (of both varieties) won't and don't need to be included I don't think the bid being on one island will make much of a difference even though it should.

Both UEFA and FIFA have already shown they don't give a damn about travelling supporters by scrapping the two cities per group formula. I haven't checked in a while but off the top of my head I think Denmark's group fixtures in Russia involved almost 36 hours of train travel between cities.

I checked at the time of the draw out of morbid curiosity to see where we'd be if we'd won THAT playoff. Quite possible that there were worse journeys for some of the other 31 teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

That has nothing to do with the real reason they want Ireland involved. Although it's a very valid reason not to include us.

This is about Brexit - nothing more. They think by throwing sweets like this our way we will lighten up.

For that reason alone the govt should be wise to it and just say no to the FAI. If the UK come back to us with same idea (which they won't) in a year then i'd say go for it.

This is politically motivated nonsense trying to include the FAI and has no practical basis.

If England think that then they really are ****ed with Brexit.

Not a hope any political figures are changing their stance on Brexit based on getting a few games in the world cup in 12 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm all for us being part of this bid as long as it costs the irish taxpayer exactly zero and no money is spent on it by us and we just use existing stadia without any upgrades being made to them.

While the stadiums may not require much work you can be sure they'll be plenty of demands made regarding supporting infrastructure and even developments to suit the commercial partners - fanzones and all that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,925 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If we do join and get to hold a World Cup game or two any chance the FAI will have paid off their part of the Aviva stadium debt by then.

FAI expect the debt to be repaid by 2020.

• Advertisement

Its fine once theres temporary seating installed as there was for our games during Euro 2008 & World Cup 2010 qualifiers.

That's ok for qualifiers but not for a tournament game, iirc.

Nope, Brexit is happening now. This tournament is in 2030. Brexit will have come and gone by then, as will the majority of the major players in Brexit. Their political legacy will have been signed, sealed and delivered. Hosting the WC will have no baring on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Berserker wrote: »
    That's ok for qualifiers but not for a tournament game, iirc.

The Yekaterinburg stadium had two massive temporary stands for the World Cup just gone.

dan1895 wrote: »
    The Yekaterinburg stadium had two massive temporary stands for the World Cup just gone.

Ah ok, that answer that then. Thought it needed to be permanent seating for a WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yekaterinburg wasn't meant to have temporary stands though, it was only agreed by FIFA this year when it became obvious that the agreed ground redevelopment wouldn't be ready but tickets had already been sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sorry but how exactly is this related to brexit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Delaney to bring both the Euros and the World Cup to Ireland.

What a man.

• Advertisement

Last 2(or 3) World Cups aside, where temporary seating was used for incomplete stadiums...

..every stadium of the 2006 World Cup had temporary seating installed in sections as they still have standing sections on terraces in Germany. Even on Dortmunds massive 25k "Yellow Wall". So itd be no bother in Croker.

The Yellow Wall has seats for all European games so mustn't be a big job to install and remove.

Is there seating there all the time and its locked in place(wont flip down) for league games ?

I'm convinced that England's biggest issue with hosting a world cup is that it could do it tomorrow. FIFA does seem to like awarding world cups to countries where massive amounts of construction will take place.

Coincidentally, Marty Byrde seems to also like construction projects to launder money in Ozark......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Berserker wrote: »
    Ah ok, that answer that then. Thought it needed to be permanent seating for a WC.
    if you look at hill 16 during the time there was non GAA sports there, the "temporary" seating was still proper bucket seats bolted into the concrete, so essentially permanent seats, installed temporarily.
    When Hill 16 was rebuilt it was designed to be converted to all seater should the need arise (more to comply with the law than expecting to have to pander to Uefa/ Fifa standards) so its not as if its a haphazard solution to an unexpected problem.

What was done in Landsdowne years ago, and Ykatherinberg, was errecting scaffolding and a temporary stand on top, so somewhat different than Croke park.

Heres a couple of pics (all from https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/D0703098/5000/ )
    239066.jpg
    239065.jpg

Advertisement