Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed to the house for Fibre-to-the-home

Options
  • 23-06-2018 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I asked on the online chat just now whether 1000Mb/s Fibre to the home will give me the full 1000Mb/s connection at my house and I was told that I need to pay an additional €61.50 for a static IP.
    I have confirmed that I can get up to 1000Mb. The reason I'm asking is that with the Fibre-to-the-cabinet, I've been paying for the 50Mb package and only get 20Mb at my house.

Firstly, since when does a static IP address affect the speed of the connection? (and why are customers being told this?)
    Second, can someone answer the above question please?
    Also - What upload rate can I expect too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

samhail wrote: »
    I asked on the online chat just now whether 1000Mb/s Fibre to the home will give me the full 1000Mb/s connection at my house and I was told that I need to pay an additional €61.50 for a static IP.
    I have confirmed that I can get up to 1000Mb. The reason I'm asking is that with the Fibre-to-the-cabinet, I've been paying for the 50Mb package and only get 20Mb at my house.

Firstly, since when does a static IP address affect the speed of the connection? (and why are customers being told this?)
    Second, can someone answer the above question please?
    Also - What upload rate can I expect too?
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Hi samhail, [/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thanks for getting in touch with us here. [/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]With our FTTH service, we advertise up to speeds as we are unable to guarantee speeds. It is individual to each premise however with the FTTH service you should be able to enjoy faster speeds.[/font]
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]A static IP is not required for the FTTH service or to achieve better speeds, apologies for the confusion here. I'll be sure to pass this feedback on for you. [/font]
    The upload speed would be up to 100MB.    
    [font=Calibri, sans-serif]Thanks [/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Tracey [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Thanks Tracey. I was trying to quantify "faster speeds" to be able to justify the price difference. I was hoping that with the FTTH technology that there may be a quick answer that we will get near full speed, or what ever contention might be on the local exchange we are connected to. I will upgrade and find out. Thanks.

Thanks for passing the feedback on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

samhail wrote: »
    Thanks Tracey. I was trying to quantify "faster speeds" to be able to justify the price difference. I was hoping that with the FTTH technology that there may be a quick answer that we will get near full speed, or what ever contention might be on the local exchange we are connected to. I will upgrade and find out. Thanks.

Thanks for passing the feedback on.
    No problem at all. 

Unfortunately, I am unable to give any exact information as of yet. After you have upgraded, the service can be testing for exact speeds. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement