Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed to the house for Fibre-to-the-home

Options
  • 23-06-2018 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

I asked on the online chat just now whether 1000Mb/s Fibre to the home will give me the full 1000Mb/s connection at my house and I was told that I need to pay an additional €61.50 for a static IP.
    I have confirmed that I can get up to 1000Mb. The reason I'm asking is that with the Fibre-to-the-cabinet, I've been paying for the 50Mb package and only get 20Mb at my house.

Firstly, since when does a static IP address affect the speed of the connection? (and why are customers being told this?)
    Second, can someone answer the above question please?
    Also - What upload rate can I expect too?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

samhail wrote: »
    I asked on the online chat just now whether 1000Mb/s Fibre to the home will give me the full 1000Mb/s connection at my house and I was told that I need to pay an additional €61.50 for a static IP.
    I have confirmed that I can get up to 1000Mb. The reason I'm asking is that with the Fibre-to-the-cabinet, I've been paying for the 50Mb package and only get 20Mb at my house.

Firstly, since when does a static IP address affect the speed of the connection? (and why are customers being told this?)

Yes you should get 1000Mb/s (actually high 900's the way eir provision it) most of the time. The service may be subject to contention but I've yet to hear anyone complain. There is a large thread in the broadband forum with lots of people connected. I have the 300 Mb/s package and it rarely drops below 280 Mb/s.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

The story about the static IP is indeed nonsense.

eir currently offer three packages:

150 / 30 Mb/s
    300 / 50 Mb/s
    1000 / 100 Mb/s

Be aware that they will have to install a new fibre optic cable into your home. This may involve drilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

samhail wrote: »

Hi samhail, 

I've responded to you on your other thread there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement