Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are Your Plans For This Heatwave?

• 23-06-2018 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

Now that the anticipated heat wave has started what precautions will you be taking or will you just spend the duration of the heat wave down by the beach and soaking up the long awaited sun? With temperatures expected to reach between 28c to 30c Wednesday and Thursday i will be spending a lot of time indoors as i would find the heat too extreme.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Looks like everyone else is outside already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I don't like sunshine. Would ideally spend the next week inside with the curtains drawn watching Netflix; alas real life calls. Won't be spending any more time outside than strictly necessary though.

I may have been a vampire in a past life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Just built a trampoline, gonna bounce for the next 48 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

probably just turn up the aircon at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Gallons of cider and canal swimming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Might wear a bucket hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Now that the anticipated heat wave has started what precautions will you be taking or will you just spend the duration of the heat wave down by the beach and soaking up the long awaited sun? With temperatures expected to reach between 28c to 30c Wednesday and Thursday i will be spending a lot of time indoors as i would find the heat too extreme.

Hopefully watching cork beat Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Life as usual here. Avoiding the hottest hours and being sensible about it. Nothing different here; watering the plants well...

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Maybe alter the song a little ! "Mad dogs and IRISH MEN go out in the midday sun.."

ah let them all enjoy the sun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sunscreen, keeping my fruit, veg and plants alive like myself with extra liquid, managing my water supply due to the well going dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Top up the farmers tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Hopefully watching cork beat Kerry

If your going enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

I panic bought a BBQ,beer,wine,Ice cubes and a trampoline and went to Dunnes anxiously hoping there would be burger buns and lettuce
    For the next few days I shall repeatedly say its hot and how Ireland is beautiful in this weather
    Sometime towards next weekend I shall start saying when will we get a break from it, this will coincide with RTE reports with regards drought conditions and how the farmers aren't happy.
    I expect on Monday to be getting aloe vera sun burn cream from the chemist and applying it to my arms which will be burnt up to my t-shirt mark.
    All the cars that have Air con will be driven around with the windows down and people complaining as to how the Air conditioning isn't even keeping them cool.
    Hose pipe bans will be introduced but ill ignore them to wash my car.
    I'll toss and turn at night complaining that I can't sleep all the windows will be open during the night and i'll still complain there's not a breath of air there.
    I'll stand in the ice cream cone queue that will be a common feature in most garages
    I'll wear sunglasses that don't suit me and shorts that will match my Lidl sandals that I bought in November for just such a situation,I still haven't used the trumpet and chainsaw from that particular Lidl visit.
    Then in roughly 7 to 8 days or so the rains will appear they will be welcomed with open arms and within an hour of this I will miss the heatwave that we just had,we will reminisce about it and compare it to our childhood summers and comment that they were hotter then.

Plenty of sun cream and ice cream. You can't beat the aul 99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I panic bought a BBQ,beer,wine,Ice cubes and a trampoline and went to Dunnes anxiously hoping there would be burger buns and lettuce For the next few days I shall repeatedly say its hot and how Ireland is beautiful in this weather Sometime towards next weekend I shall start saying when will we get a break from it, this will coincide with RTE reports with regards drought conditions and how the farmers aren't happy. I expect on Monday to be getting aloe vera sun burn cream from the chemist and applying it to my arms which will be burnt up to my t-shirt mark. All the cars that have Air con will be driven around with the windows down and people complaining as to how the Air conditioning isn't even keeping them cool. Hose pipe bans will be introduced but ill ignore them to wash my car. I'll toss and turn at night complaining that I can't sleep all the windows will be open during the night and i'll still complain there's not a breath of air there. I'll stand in the ice cream cone queue that will be a common feature in most garages I'll wear sunglasses that don't suit me and shorts that will match my Lidl sandals that I bought in November for just such a situation,I still haven't used the trumpet and chainsaw from that particular Lidl visit. Then in roughly 7 to 8 days or so the rains will appear they will be welcomed with open arms and within an hour of this I will miss the heatwave that we just had,we will reminisce about it and compare it to our childhood summers and comment that they were hotter then.

Reads like the lyrics of a song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Argos are selling electric fans in large quantities.

Nights will get muggy. Houses locked up all day will be like saunas.

A great time for beverage and ice cream manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I shall be setting multiple gorse fires all round Howth , Dublin Mountains and any other area I feel needs a dose of arson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Melt get sunburn drink to much and get massive headaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

natashaob6 wrote: »
    You can't beat the aul 99.

Ahh you can...
    69 :p

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I bought 3 fans today just in anticipation. I know in Europe in really hot conditions many old people die. I'd advise all people to check in on their elderly neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Ahh you can...

Dont forget the Flake!

I shall be setting multiple gorse fires all round Howth , Dublin Mountains and any other area I feel needs a dose of arson.

Not something to joke about

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0623/972692-forest-fire/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I suffer from heat intolerance due to a medical condition. Hopefully I won't end up in hospital. Already needed treatment a few weeks ago and this is forecast to be worse. I'll be sitting in front of a fan with the curtains pulled. Thankfully I'm on holiday for the next couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Watering the garden, drinking plenty, taking early morning walks and generally making the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I did a load of work in the garden, cleared the shed and gonna do more work tomorrow. Hopefully fit a BBQ in as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Will get a pair of tight shorts, like the English squad ones in Italia 90, lie out on a longer drinking beer and watch my belly getting redder and redder over the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hopefully the government will do the right thing and issue a red warning so we can enjoy the few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Done a bit of weeding out the back this morning before it became to hot, after lunch stripped off, slapped on some P20 & enjoyed a couple of Cuba Libre, same tomorrow except for the weeding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Avoid as much sun as possible also make sure the dog has plenty of shade

Ahh you can...

A 69 and a 99 with a flake. You wouln'd need any heatwave to work up a sweat after those.

Graces7 wrote: »

Ah LIGHTen up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Reads like the lyrics of a song.
    You write the music,I still have the trumpet from Lidl,we could make it all Jazzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm working:(

I suffer from heat intolerance due to a medical condition. Hopefully I won't end up in hospital. Already needed treatment a few weeks ago and this is forecast to be worse. I'll be sitting in front of a fan with the curtains pulled. Thankfully I'm on holiday for the next couple of weeks.

All joking a side I do feel sorry for people who suffer from extreme heat conditions and I do hope they will get through this heatwave without any major health issues.

• Advertisement

QUOTE=corner of hells;107335858]Ah LIGHTen up a bit.[/QUOTE]

Very light thank you but some things are not for joking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Where is everyone? Around town is 50% populated than usual. I when for a drive to check out the talent, thin on the ground.

doylefe wrote: »
    Where is everyone? Around town is 50% populated than usual. I when for a drive to check out the talent, thin on the ground.

I'd say all the talent is at home bathing themselves in sun tan lotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

doylefe wrote: »

You're really showing your age!
    The days of myself and the gal pals cruising through local villages hoping to catch a glimpse of some boys is like a memory from the famine.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Preparing to ignore all the "oh, it's very hot", "we need rain" etc. Usually from the same ones who complain that it's too cold, too wet or too windy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Thanks OP, didn't realise it would get that hot. Have a little baby who's on antibiotics right now, so glad to have opportunity to prepare. Reserved a portable air con unit to pick up tomorrow so won't be concerned about him getting too hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Walk around in the nip

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'll be coming home from 34 degrees in Spain on Wednesday, so it will be just nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I plan not to get sun burnt and enjoy the outdoors at the same time by mostly staying in the shade and talking only small doses of direct sunlight at at time, max 15 mins a number of times in the day with breaks inbetween. This strategy I used for the first time only this year during our last spell and it worked out very well. I didn't stay in the sun too long to get burnt but my skin certainly did benefit from the sun I got without ruining that benefit by getting burnt. Another benefit to doing this is one doesn't need to pile on all that horrible chemically sunscreen shtye. As the days progressed I found I could stay out in the direct sun a bit longer as the skin naturally builds up some immunity. Noting more dumb that staying out in the sun for hours and getting burnt (guilty).

AllForIt wrote: »
    I plan not to get sun burnt and enjoy the outdoors at the same time by mostly staying in the shade and talking only small doses of direct sunlight at at time, max 15 mins a number of times in the day with breaks inbetween. This strategy I used for the first time only this year during our last spell and it worked out very well. I didn't stay in the sun too long to get burnt but my skin certainly did benefit from the sun I got without ruining that benefit by getting burnt. Another benefit to doing this is one doesn't need to pile on all that horrible chemically sunscreen shtye. As the days progressed I found I could stay out in the direct sun a bit longer as the skin naturally builds up some immunity. Noting more dumb that staying out in the sun for hours and getting burnt (guilty).

I've a friend not yet fifty , diagnosed with skin cancer.
    He's just had surgery to remove a growth from his face.He looks like he's been shot in the forehead after the surgery.

Nothing more dumb than staying in the sun for hours... You're dead right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I've a friend not yet fifty , diagnosed with skin cancer.
    He's just had surgery to remove a growth from his face.He looks like he's been shot in the forehead after the surgery.

Nothing more dumb than staying in the sun for hours... You're dead right.

Well I'm not sure skin cancer in Ireland is caused predominantly by sun exposure : ). I'm not sure if you friend lives in Ireland. It's not the only cause of course. But it is a major cause of it in Australia.

I think the problem in Ireland and the UK is that most ppl don't tan anyway and it's as if those ppl don't realise it and they think if they spend hours out in the sun they will get one. A tan of course is a skin reaction to protect itself from the sun - that's why ppl in Africa are black.

As far a what looks attractive is concerned, there is this idea that if one has a tan or are light brown that this is the most desired look. Not for me, noone looks more attractive to me than if they are fit and healthy even if they are phasty white. I find tanned ppl look a bit plasticy and unnatural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'll be honest here.

I work hard and train hard all week, my plans ~ train, load up on the Lidl's Parlenbacher and get fooking rat arsed.

Train Saturday (done a 5km Parkrun.ie this morning) and Sunday. Go to work feeling fooking chuffed with my efforts Monday.

And that's mu plan for the heatwave, get pished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Working unfortunately. Would like to take the week off if I could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

This thread is a real downer with all the "I have a condition" and cancer talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've taken the duvet off! :)

As I work outside a big hat, factor 50, talc, regular breaks and lots of water will be the thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement