Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are Your Plans For This Heatwave?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Picked up some WD40, roll on the tan like last year.

dougal.png

I don't know about the rest of you but here are some of the things I'm looking forward to:
    Feeling like I'm walking through treacle
    Pale limbs covered in sticky sun cream
    Sweaty back from being in the car
    Sore feet from stupid sandals
    Wearing those hideous skin coloured tights
    Electrocuted looking hair
    Shiny face
    Being extremely tired and slightly weak

Bring it on!!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'm finally going to insist that the women in my office turn the setting on the office aircon from heat to cool. Hasn't been a day so far this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The same as our last good spell a few weeks ago. Keep the garden tidy (filled the compost bin from empty yesterday), go for swims, wait, do that every week already, and work the other days, wait, do that already as well.

So it will be just like any other week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Monday, rounding up sheep to take a draft of lambs for sale Monday night. Dose all remaining lambs, check for maggots etc. Kids sports day so have to go in to that for an hour.
    Got 8 acres of grass cut that need turning as I'm going to make hay off it.
    Need to fix a Hardy Spicer in the drive shaft of the tedder first

Tuesday, working with neighbour at their silage, school finished at 12, so have to be there to get kids off the bus.
    Ted out that 8 acres again
    Sheep to be housed because shearing tomorrow.

Wednesday. Shearing sheep. Going to be torture under a tin roof in this heat. Think along the lines of a four hour wrestling match with opponents built like Danny deVito......
    Another 8 acres grass to cut, this time for silage.
    Got to get to agri store for bale wrap and diesel at some stage.

Thursday, row up the hay, contractor supposed to come and bale both it and silage.
    4 or 5 hours drawing in the bales.

Friday, don't know yet ..... but a pint will be welcome. Have to put a new clutch master cylinder into the avensis at some during the week, it's about 2 hour job, and a pig to get at up under the dash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Just got back from my daily walk cold shower for me and watching the world cup too hot to stay out. Take care if your out in that sun and getting hotter as the week goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I don't know about the rest of you but here are some of the things I'm looking forward to:
    Feeling like I'm walking through treacle
    Pale limbs covered in sticky sun cream
    Sweaty back from being in the car
    Sore feet from stupid sandals
    Wearing those hideous skin coloured tights
    Electrocuted looking hair
    Shiny face
    Being extremely tired and slightly weak

Bring it on!!

Is this what they call the Power of Positive Thinking...

Survive is here and enjoy the ocean etc..

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Monday, rounding up sheep to take a draft of lambs for sale Monday night. Dose all remaining lambs, check for maggots etc. Kids sports day so have to go in to that for an hour.
    Got 8 acres of grass cut that need turning as I'm going to make hay off it.
    Need to fix a Hardy Spicer in the drive shaft of the tedder first

Tuesday, working with neighbour at their silage, school finished at 12, so have to be there to get kids off the bus.
    Ted out that 8 acres again
    Sheep to be housed because shearing tomorrow.

Wednesday. Shearing sheep. Going to be torture under a tin roof in this heat. Think along the lines of a four hour wrestling match with opponents built like Danny deVito......
    Another 8 acres grass to cut, this time for silage.
    Got to get to agri store for bale wrap and diesel at some stage.

Thursday, row up the hay, contractor supposed to come and bale both it and silage.
    4 or 5 hours drawing in the bales.

Friday, don't know yet ..... but a pint will be welcome. Have to put a new clutch master cylinder into the avensis at some during the week, it's about 2 hour job, and a pig to get at up under the dash.

((((HUGS))))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bee key knee wed her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Lashings of ginger beer.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Is this what they call the Power of Positive Thinking...

Survive is here and enjoy the ocean etc..

I call it Persepoly Thinking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest, it's no hassle until constantly over 28c for me. As it stands, and as forecast for here, I'll just enjoy it with walks, gardening, and reading in the sunshine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

My local shop that sells ice-cream with flakes for €2 has reduced the price by 1c. So now I can get one 99 for €1.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Graces7 wrote: »
    ((((HUGS))))

Hugs are always welcome, Grace, and a hand catching reluctanc ewes even more so!
    I freeze plastic bottles of spring water the night before ( leave an air space for expansion) and they stay cold for hours the next day on the tractor.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Will avoid the worse of the heat but subbathing and swimming in the nip. :)

• Advertisement

Makes me cringe when I see pale skinned people burnt to a crisp. Why oh why do they want that pain for what is a few days sun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Messing about in boats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My plans are to drop dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Well I have to work during the day but outside of that time, I'll be getting plenty of sun while wearing factor 50. Seeing all the stupid sunburned people always bamboozles me.

survive.. was out very early in the dawn and that was lovely. Light reflecting on the still ocean...

But when they light the furnace... OUCH! The walls here are aluminium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Working up til Wednesday .... the fridge is stocked with meat and salad.

I've instructed the OH to have the BBQ gleaming .
    So prob start off the day Wednesday with a sleep in, a swim in the sea and I've books stacking up nicely to read ! Heaven!! And yes sunscreen a must !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I will be moving from shadow to shadow and staying inside as much as possible. I am more of a six degrees and overcast sort of girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I stocked up on doorstops in lidl . I have a lovely cool house. I don't go out* til evening time if I can help it because I can't use suncream and I burn in about 5 minutes. It looks beautiful though :D

* except to the line with the 14 baskets of laundry I'm doing every day because I can get it dry on the line.. if it fits in the washing machine and its not nailed down its getting washed ..

I will be moving from shadow to shadow and staying inside as much as possible. I am more of a six degrees and overcast sort of girl.

Where have you been all my life!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Spending as much time outdoors as possible. At the park, down by the canal, up in the mountains - all that good stuff. The 8 hours a day I have to spend indoors at work is not a lot of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Laughing at all the Irish people melting and complaining at 20something degrees.

Embracing my goth summer dresses.

And then still getting a sunburn purely for karmic reasons, because I still haven't learned I'm not back home anymore and for some magic reason my skin burns here.

Where have you been all my life!!

In the shade obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

just back from the Algarve, its a bit nippy here

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

LirW wrote: »
    Laughing at all the Irish people melting and complaining at 20something degrees.

Embracing my goth summer dresses.

And then still getting a sunburn purely for karmic reasons, because I still haven't learned I'm not back home anymore and for some magic reason my skin burns here.

You stayed here too long so now you're a local.

You already get sunburned in about 30 seconds, so you'll soon start to think 18 degrees is 'fierce mild' and develop a 6th sense for when there's great drying out. :P

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hugs are always welcome, Grace, and a hand catching reluctanc ewes even more so!
    I freeze plastic bottles of spring water the night before ( leave an air space for expansion) and they stay cold for hours the next day on the tractor.

Oh been there done that many times. Wish I were nearer.. At one rental I used to round up my landlord;s cattle when they got loose...which was often! I miss doing that here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

cbyrd wrote: »
    I stocked up on doorstops in lidl . I have a lovely cool house. I don't go out* til evening time if I can help it because I can't use suncream and I burn in about 5 minutes. It looks beautiful though :D

* except to the line with the 14 baskets of laundry I'm doing every day because I can get it dry on the line.. if it fits in the washing machine and its not nailed down its getting washed ..

Same:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Does anybody know?..
    I'm quite fair and burn easy so I sit in the shade.
    The last few days I've been outside lots but either sitting or lying under a parasol.
    Obviously I'm getting lots of fresh air but do I still get Vitamin D?

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Does anybody know?..
    I'm quite fair and burn easy so I sit in the shade.
    The last few days I've been outside lots but either sitting or lying under a parasol.
    Obviously I'm getting lots of fresh air but do I still get Vitamin D?

No. You've to T pose in your birthday suit whilst staring directly at the sun for at least twenty minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Unfortunately the heatwave has claimed the lives of two men in their 50s one from Dublin and one from Donegal when they got in to difficulty swimming. So while you are enjoying the sunny warm weather please take care when going to the beach. Apologies for putting a downer on this thread but I thought I would just highlight the dangers while out swimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

verycool wrote: »
    No. You've to T pose in your birthday suit whilst staring directly at the sun for at least twenty minutes.

What about I get down on all fours?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Chev_Chelios

Few cans and enjoy the world cup, I find my tolerence for the heat has gone up which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I didn't enjoy work today. Hate being inside when the warning is so nice. But booked Friday off and a half day on Thursday! Beach on Friday hopefully.

Feckin' heat. Feck off.

/end plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Staff barbecue is on Thursday evening and I’ve a day off on a Friday.
    This will be the first year the sun will be shining at the barbecue and we're not all huddled in the canteen for warmth

Doing better and my hands are a deep brown as i tan easily and painlessly
    - and unintentionally, especially in sea air..probably face too but not seen it in weeks..

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the heatwave has claimed the lives of two men in their 50s one from Dublin and one from Donegal when they got in to difficulty swimming. So while you are enjoying the sunny warm weather please take care when going to the beach. Apologies for putting a downer on this thread but I thought I would just highlight the dangers while out swimming.

You do right and thank you. My brother only made it to 19 years summer swimming.

Hot weather brings defences down and people leave commonsense at home. Heatstroke etc as well as water deaths,

PLEASE take care and enjoy it all safely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Hopefully the government will do the right thing and issue a red warning so we can enjoy the few days

They can use a photo of my nose to illustrate it. The trouble with being well endowed in the nasal department is that it really seems to attract the sun.

I cannot wait til winter.

Sit it out. As I did yesterday successfully, organise the day around the weather..

OF COURSE being ancient means I can do this! No commitments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

There's a different breed of fly during this hot weather. Dive bombing bastards. Huge yokes. Like feckin birds. Watch your food prep folks and hope eateries are doing the same.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

been doing the mass of laundry in the house, great drying weather! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I'll be bleeding and suffering Period-Cramps and feeling nauseous while attempting to stay in the Shade. Can also now add suffering Headache to that. :rolleyes: Feels like the Headache is in my eyes and my Jaw-bones are hurting like hell. :( The Heatwave can feic right off for itself and go take a running jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

natashaob6 wrote: »

any time the weather is half decent in Ireland there seems to be drownings. Very sad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Einstrahlung50

This ia peak Summer, much more peak than August when evenings are noticably darker and leaves are turning yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I just bought a 7500 litre lidl swimming pool.now i wait until it fills. ...........Should be sometime mid December i reckon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement