Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What VPN would you recommend?

Options
  • 23-06-2018 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hello

Just wondering what VPN people would recommend these days? Is NordVPN still king or are there better options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

Please give more information on ehat type of content you need it for lets say bbc iplayer as o dont have a vpn but research says some dont work for this also netflix usa and so on thesw answers will help you pick best for your needs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

jhud wrote: »
    Please give more information on ehat type of content you need it for lets say bbc iplayer as o dont have a vpn but research says some dont work for this also netflix usa and so on thesw answers will help you pick best for your needs

Security privacy and performance. Accessing international streaming services is also nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

VPNs are not some magic security biscuit.

Saying a VPN adds security is like saying if I connect from my wifi I'm at risk but if I go over to the brothers house and use his wifi I'm suddenly more secure. Bollix.

The other thing....thread lock in 3, 2, 1.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

ED E wrote: »
    VPNs are not some magic security biscuit.

Saying a VPN adds security is like saying if I connect from my wifi I'm at risk but if I go over to the brothers house and use his wifi I'm suddenly more secure. Bollix.

The other thing....thread lock in 3, 2, 1.....

Well it does get you encryption on all traffic and hide your IP from advertisers and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well it does get you encryption on all traffic and hide your IP from advertisers and whatnot.

Traffic that was already encrypted: Double encrypted, no benefit
    Traffic that was sent in PT: Now encrypted but only as far as the VPN server, then back out as plaint text onto the public internet. Unless your neighbour is the one spying on you then there's zero benefit.

All it does is give you ads for the wrong area and opens you up to an additional attack vector if the VPN provider you're with isn't 110% on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Several things worth considering:
    1) If your usage intentions include bypassing content restrictions on streaming services, you're going to find it hard to get any provider to commit to this. The best you'll get is that it sometimes works, but I wouldn't assume this to be the case.
    2) VPNs 'make you secure' the way a random search for Antivirus software followed by installing something nobody's ever heard of makes you secure. All a VPN does is obfuscate your traffic between your router and the VPN gateway. it does nothing to protect you against malicious activity, only protects you against your ISP trying to flog adverts, and potentially exposes you to additional malicious activity from bad actors who have compromised the VPN service (either because the VPN provider is dodgy and on the take, or because they fumble their security).
    3) Are you also using a reliable antimalware product and patching your OS and software?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Never seen a thread so negative about VPNs. I use a VPN if I use a public wifi like in a hotel etc. Just to feel secure really in case anyone decided to snoop traffic using wireshark. I use one that's good for us netflix and iPlayer but very hit and miss lately. I don't really use for anything else as there's plenty of straight proxy sites for looking at any blocked sites. I don't use VPN for ads like mentioned here as ublock/blockada or ghostery etc etc is good enough for that or duckduckgo. Also not sure why thread lock was mentioned. It's not illegal to talk about VPNs although you never know with boards

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Some VPN providers present themselves like some sort of cure-all for online security, but all they can do is ensure that traffic between you and the VPN is encrypted. Which is a useful thing to be aware of and consider, but just means you transfer the trust away from the local network and onto the VPN provider. It's not as if VPN providers won't be just as tempted as ISPs were by the idea of stuff like DPI to gather data that can be sold to third parties as an additional revenue stream, for example...

I imagine threadlock was mentioned because of the probability of talking about VPNs for bypassing geographic content restrictions on popular streaming sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Private Internet Access

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Attifowler

Nord VPN has numerous locations, but it doesn't work on all the sites especially with https. I would recommend HMA Pro (Hide My Ass), it's great, but it has many dirty IPs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement