Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple announces repair programme for MacBook "butterfly" keyboards

• 23-06-2018 5:50pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is for MacBooks and MacBook Pros that develop bad keyboards due to the controversial "butterfly" keyboard design.
    Apple has determined that a small percentage of the keyboards in certain MacBook and MacBook Pro models may exhibit one or more of the following behaviors:

Letters or characters repeat unexpectedly
    Letters or characters do not appear
    Key(s) feel "sticky" or do not respond in a consistent manner

Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider will service eligible MacBook and MacBook Pro keyboards, free of charge. The type of service will be determined after the keyboard is examined and may involve the replacement of one or more keys or the whole keyboard.

Eligible Models

MacBook (Retina, 12-­inch, Early 2015)
    MacBook (Retina, 12­-inch, Early 2016)
    MacBook (Retina, 12-­inch, 2017)
    MacBook Pro (13­-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
    MacBook Pro (15-­inch, 2016)
    MacBook Pro (15-­inch, 2017)

https://www.apple.com/ie/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

I have a 2016 Macbook which has thus far not exhibited this issue thankfully, but the way everyone on Twitter and the Mac forums go on you'd swear all of the above models are irredeemably faulty. Has anyone here experienced this fault?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭dave oc

I have a 2016 13" Pro with Touch bar (launch model) and some keys feel a bit 'off', as in there is no real noise or feedback from them compared to others around them. I didnt notice it that much until I got a the a new macbook pro in work (15" 2017 model). The keyboard on it seems perfect, all keys sound and feel the same.

So now I'm thinking about putting my personal one through the repair program. I tweeted Compub and they said that a repair would be done in store once parts are ordered. Think I'll drop into them in the next few days and see what they think. There's quite a few keys that I think need to be fixed, so I would be hoping they change the entire keyboard. I get the feeling that my laptop was one the first batch for new design so there might have been slight issues with initial batches (just my speculation though).

Anyone else set up there macbook for repair with Compub, etc here? Or go direct to apple?

Advertisement